can anyone help me source an ES 160 from a UK Dealer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesblues

Reaction score
As it says in the title I am looking for an ES 160, the one with Block Inlays, so it could be an ES 135. It must be either sunburst or Tobacco burst I have googled for one - no luck, I have checked out RichTone Music, Wunjo Guitars, Rockem Music, Don Mackrill, and Frets Guitar Centre all without any luck. I also phoned Tokai Guitars in Sheffield, Bob is in China at the moment and the chap I spoke to couldn't provide me with the names of any UK dealers who had any in stock.

So I was hoping that someone on the forum might know of a UK shop that has one in stock.

Thanks

Les

Lesblues said:
As it says in the title I am looking for an ES 160, the one with Block Inlays, so it could be an ES 135.

If it's an ES160 it can't be an ES135...only one model has block inlays, and that's the ES160.

Diamond said:
Lesblues said:
As it says in the title I am looking for an ES 160, the one with Block Inlays, so it could be an ES 135.

If it's an ES160 it can't be an ES135...only one model has block inlays, and that's the ES160.

I'm going by this listing from RichTone Music:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/the_tokai_es135_electric_guitar_is_a_high-quality_tokai_japan_rendition_of_the_335_style_guitar_it_features_high_quality_consruction_and_a_tone_to_die_for.asp

There is this one

http://www.wizardguitars.com/SemiAcousticGuitars.php?product=1509&action=moreinfo&offset=0

Dave

DaveWW said:
There is this one

http://www.wizardguitars.com/SemiAcousticGuitars.php?product=1509&action=moreinfo&offset=0

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Have you any experience of dealing with Wizard guitars? are they ok?

I just phoned them and during the discussion the guy said the model was ES 185. I'm not entirely sure about that, looks more like an ES 160 to me based on the little info on their web site. Any input you might have on the model would be appreciated.

Thanks
Les

No experience in dealing with them but they have been established for a long time. I'd ask them what model number is given on the red label inside the f hole and what the serial number is. The serial number will also tell you what year the guitar was made which will help with the model number and specs.

It seems that block inlay ES185s do exist -

http://www.theguitarshop.jp/gallery/garelly.html

That shop is a division of tokai.

DaveWW said:
No experience in dealing with them but they have been established for a long time. I'd ask them what model number is given on the red label inside the f hole and what the serial number is. The serial number will also tell you what year the guitar was made which will help with the model number and specs.

It seems that block inlay ES185s do exist -

http://www.theguitarshop.jp/gallery/garelly.html

That shop is a division of tokai.

Thanks Dave, I did ask about the label, that was when they told me it was an ES185 but also said it retails at ?1499 which is the price on the Tokai guitar site for the ES160. Which is what is making me wonder a bit. I am in negotiation with them and have asked them to email me confirmation of the model and the price. They seemed a bit reluctant but we'll see.
Thanks again
Les

Hi Les,

I would concur with the view that it's an ES160 as per the current model number...

I've never dealt with Wizard but I did flick round their website for Tokai and their prices are definitely on the very high side...

?649 for a Silverstar? Incidentally, they say this is 83/84 but it's an 81 model, still with Spagetti logo

and ?849 for an 83/84 TST50!!

When I was looking for my ES130, Richtone were out of stock, but reserved me one from their next batch...they're very good to deal with and their pricing is always very fair...

Good luck in your search!

John.

Johny642000 said:
Hi Les,

I would concur with the view that it's an ES160 as per the current model number...

I've never dealt with Wizard but I did flick round their website for Tokai and their prices are definitely on the very high side...

?649 for a Silverstar? Incidentally, they say this is 83/84 but it's an 81 model, still with Spagetti logo

and ?849 for an 83/84 TST50!!

When I was looking for my ES130, Richtone were out of stock, but reserved me one from their next batch...they're very good to deal with and their pricing is always very fair...

Good luck in your search!

John.

Richtone were my first port of call, unfortunately they won't take an order and they don't know when to expect the next batch. So the best they could suggest was that I keep an eye on their web site.

Thanks for your input and good wishes.

Les

I doubt very much whether that Wizard guitar is an ES185, I think it's an ES160.

Ask them to tell you what the red label inside the F hole says...that's where the model number is printed.

For the record.
Catalog #23 - the block inlay is an ES135
Catalog #24 - the block inlay is an ES150 (2009)
Catalog #25 - the block inlay is an ES160 (2010/2011)

Why the UK distributor calls this guitar an ES135 in 2011 is beyond me...unless it was made in 2007/2008.

Diamond said:
I doubt very much whether that Wizard guitar is an ES185, I think it's an ES160.

Ask them to tell you what the red label inside the F hole says...that's where the model number is printed.

For the record.

Hi Diamond,
I already asked them to do that and the chap I spoke to said it was ES 185. Still I asked them to email me confirmation and nothing has arrived. I may have to phone them again in the morning. I had no idea buying a guitar could be so "interesting" :wink:

Lesblues said:
Diamond said:

For the record.

Hi Diamond,
I already asked them to do that and the chap I spoke to said it was ES 185. Still I asked them to email me confirmation and nothing has arrived. I may have to phone them again in the morning. I had no idea buying a guitar could be so "interesting" :wink:

Well, if the red label says ES185 then they have some kind of a custom order model, because all the ES185 models I've had were dot inlays.

If it's an ES185 then it should also have a honduras mahogany neck, CTS pots, a Sprague Orange drop capacitor, and a Switchcraft switch...in other words Premium Series specs...it's a killer guitar.

Personally I don't think the guys at Wizard know WTF they're talking about.
They call the guitar a "Tokai Semi Acoustic Sunburst"...WTF kind of description is that...it's a 335. :)
Then they say, "Handbuilt in Japan, Sunburst, Flame Maple body, PAF replica pickups, nickel hardware....WTF does that mean?
That sounds like a shop that has absolutely no idea what a Tokai is, their sales people, and the owners need to be TOKAI educated.

Rant over. :D

Diamond said:
Lesblues said:
Diamond said:

For the record.

Hi Diamond,

Well, if the red label says ES185 then they have some kind of a custom order model, because all the ES185 models I've had were dot inlays.

If it's an ES185 then it should also have a honduras mahogany neck, CTS pots, a Sprague Orange drop capacitor, and a Switchcraft switch...in other words Premium Series specs...it's a killer guitar.

Personally I don't think the guys at Wizard know WTF they're talking about.
They call the guitar a "Tokai Semi Acoustic Sunburst"...WTF kind of description is that...it's a 335. :)
Then they say, "Handbuilt in Japan, Sunburst, Flame Maple body, PAF replica pickups, nickel hardware....WTF does that mean?
That sounds like a shop that has absolutely no idea what a Tokai is, their sales people, and the owners need to be TOKAI educated.

Rant over. :D

I am almost 100% sure that it is not an ES 185. The whole time the guy said he was taking it out of the window to look at it he was also speaking to me on the phone! I personally would want to have both hands free and my brain focussed on the guitar if I was pulling one out of a shop window. He also quoted the recommended retail price for the ES 160.

But get this, for a shop that describes their Tokai guitar so woefully: The shop assistant told me the shop owner is big friends with Bob at Tokai Guitars UK. You would think under those circumstances they would at least offer a fuller description.

Anyway I take it we are all agreed it is a genuine Japanese Tokai, model number to be confirmed. :-?

Amo said:
Ask him to look at the sticker if the F-hole for the number

I'd just like to point out that there was a good reason for me not reading what Diamond said properly and repeating him.

I was as drunk as a lord.

Carry on! :D

Just in case anyone is interested in the outcome of this thread:

Well after a torturous attempt to deal with a member of the sales staff, who didn't email me when he said he would and then denied he had spoken to me! I managed to speak to someone called Phil who was much more helpful and we were able to negotiate a fair price for the guitar and a Hiscox hard case including delivery. I should have it by Tuesday. Phil confirmed that it is an ES 135

Thanks again to DaveWW for pointing me in the direction of Wizard Guitars and to the rest of you guys for your input.

Pics that were emailed to me this morning:

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

Looks gorgeous :D I think the blocks inlays look the best as well!

Very nice 2010 Tobacco Burst ES135. Be sure to let usd know what you think when it arrives.

Dave

In Japan it's an ES160, in the 2010 catalog it's an ES160...however, in the UK it's a 2010 ES135? :D

Great score, amazing guitar.

Latest posts

Back