Tokai Gibson J-160E Copy and Hofner Violin Bass Copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennon

Reaction score
Just got the new versions of these classic guitars from Tokai, stunning quality and the price is unbelieveable compared to the Gibson and Hofner versions, even better than the price of the Epiphone versions, quality of build and playability is outstanding.

If anyone is intrested in obtaining these guitars PM me and I'll message you back the details of how to get them here in the UK at reduced dealer price.

J-160E John Lennon acoustic electric copy

TOKJ160Ea.jpg

2500700_big.jpg

Hofner Violin Bass copy

key_vb48.jpg

0020_4.jpg

img4_73191.jpg

img57162784.jpg

Had the pleasure of playing a friend's VB-48 recently, and though it took a fair bit of work to get it set up reasonably, it's a great little bass. The saddle compensation on the bridge is too much for the scale length (I'm guessing Tokai bought a bridge in rather than designing and making it themselves, and probably ended up with one intended for a 34" instrument).

Apart from that, though, it's a wonderful instrument. It's not particularly versatile tonally, but the underlying sound is fantastic. Very warm and natural, and even better if you swap the strings for some La Bella flatwounds.

The best thing about it though is how playable it is. You automatically end up playing far more melodically just because it's so easy to move your hands around the neck. From what I've read McCartney couldn't do that when he first started playing his ? since the neck was twisted and it wouldn't intonate properly ? but I still think the instrument itself must have had a huge influence on his playing style. The history of popular music might be very different if he'd gone straight to a long scale bass.

Latest posts

Back