Built in Korea with Japanese specs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokeboy

Reaction score
I'm sure i read this somewhere on the internet a while ago that newest Tokai's had this policy? Is it true or was i just dreaming it?

So would that mean 2-3 pc mahog backs with 2 pc maple top (or woteva) with black back plated Love Rock's built in Korea? jus like the Japanese models.

If true, how can you tell the guitar was made in Korea with Japanese spec's? when the only way you could have told them apart was the Korean model Love Rock's had cream back plates.

8) I understand that the only Japanese specs were the MM models made for Mikes Music and they had a scarf joint just like ALL Korean models have they also have the cream pot covers. Anyone got something to add?

Let me step in here with a bit more scoop! :lol:

My lefty Korean love Rock is "supposed" to be one of the Limited edition 2001 love Rocks....Mine was not purchased from Mike's but from Music Max in Vancouver Canada and is supposedly 1 of only 3 lefties of this guitar made?....The Korean made Love Rocks have a 3 screw truss rod cover and the Japan made ones have only 2 screws,but both covers have the same shape....Mike's MM Limited edition Love Rocks also had model numbers stamped onto the top back part of the headstock and most of the other Korean Love Rocks had no stamping....I actually talked to Mike about these models and it was his idea about both the model and the number stampings....That number isn't a serial number though..

Mine has an all mahogany body and neck and possibly a sycamore maple top but I'm not sure on how many peices on the top? the weight,look,and feel on my particular Les paul is incredible and my axe wasn't exactly cheap either..Overall I'd put my Love Rock up against any of the recent Gibson stuff....other than having to do some electronic changes,pickus etc.,this axe is great!

John

I'm trying out a LS-65 next week when my local gets the delivery in. Am i right to assume it will be made in Japan? Excuse my ignorance! :)

The Korean guitars have an A before the model # , Are you in the USA?Hey Fireman John how did you get the two screw cover to fit your Love Rock? On my Koreans there is no place to screw in the bottom screw! Send me some opf your Magic! :D

:D Hey L.B., every set neck Tokai I have seen from Korea had the scarf. I wonder if Stratdeluxer's lefty has one? :-?

"Hey Fireman John how did you get the two screw cover to fit your Love Rock? On my Koreans there is no place to screw in the bottom screw! Send me some opf your Magic"

Tokai......It was really too easy buddy :wink:
I bought the actual Gibson truss rod cover,positioned the new cover to hide the old top screw hole...
I then used a longer screw on the bottom of the cover and carefully screwed it into the wood within the truss rod area....

I also filled the old holes in with some crazy glue and went over the dryed glue with black permanent marker......looks good huh? :D

Tokai......Give me more scoop on what you mean about the "scarf" neck....Are you sure you don't mean neck tenon?

John

Blimey!!

I started this same thread topic about a month ago and got zero '0' posts!!

Now suddenly everyone has info!

Do my feet smell or something?
:roll:
GB

Oh and I agree with Bazzer - scarfs are just not on.

"Stratdeluxer - no they're completely different. A scarf neck joint signifies a two piece neck - there's a diagonal joint around the second or third fret. On a clear or translucent finish, it's easily visible".

Thanks for the info LB as I was clueless. :-?

The neck on my axe looks the same color and uniform throughout...

I'm getting tons on sustain,nice clean tones and my guitar feels and plays great......I'm happy but I did have to replace the pickups and do some updated rewiring,switches,jack,shielding etc. but it's there now! :lol: I'm still about $1500 to $2000 ahead of the Gibson "Lefty" 59 Reissue.... :D

John

The scarf joints on my Korean guitars are not that pretty lookin', but I'm sure that they are strong, and don't seem to be worth an extra $500 to $1000 to get rid of 'em... (Plus, they're covered with all that beautiful hard polyurethane, so I KNOW they're good...)

Hi!

Aside from the information on the page:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/guitars.html

I think I can contribute something here. I own both the 205802 & 201959 models, and yes indeedy, they have the scarf joint. I doesn't concern me at all as they are beautiful guitars.

I haven't even considered changing the pickups as they are the same PAF style as on the Japanese models. The electronics are obviously more "heavy duty" than the Korean models (which are also cool).

The only thing I wish Tokai hadn't scrimped on is the neck inlays. They are plastic, and don't really look BAD, but they sure look cheesy neck to real mother of pearl.

I have also seen these models with the corrrect model numbers on teh headstock, but not the truss rod cover that denotes it a as a MM 2001 "Limited Edition".

If you can find one grab it!

Someday soon I will put a page up somewhere with photos of my two beauties, and my Korean Goldtop for comparison purposes. I will post it here!

Hope that helps

Rob

Latest posts

Back