LS92 & LS160

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon135

Reaction score
I would just like to ask to those who have played the models on what is really or is there even a difference in terms of sound of the said models. I have read their specifications and they do have a huge difference but they have the very same pickups. That being said, I want to know if there is really a big difference in terms of sounds when plugged in the same amp and settings. Thanks!

dragon135 said:
I would just like to ask to those who have played the models on what is really or is there even a difference in terms of sound of the said models. I have read their specifications and they do have a huge difference but they have the very same pickups. That being said, I want to know if there is really a big difference in terms of sounds when plugged in the same amp and settings. Thanks!

The pickups are not the only thing that make up the ambient tone of a guitar. Wood, number of pieces, pots, caps, finish, etc.... all add to it.

marcusnieman said:
dragon135 said:

The pickups are not the only thing that make up the ambient tone of a guitar. Wood, number of pieces, pots, caps, finish, etc.... all add to it.

So, do you think that there is a big difference between their sounds or not after playing them personally?

About the finish, I don't think that it affects the tone of a guitar since I have already asked about that question on my 2 favorite guitar techs who doesn't even know each other.

On new guitars, I'd guess that's right - there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in sound. Let them age 10 or 20 years though, and I'd bet the nitro finished guitar would sound much better than its poly finished counterpart.

Jason

Hard to separate them, the 92 is a great guitar.

I would go for the 160 mostly for the solid top (veneer on the 92) and better hardware/woods.

I used to have an LC85 which played like an absolute dream, very comparable to my LS150 FT, so honestly there is little to separate these 2 guitars. I still own the 150 because it is an outstanding guitar on all levels and it replaced my Gibson LPs for good. I did let the LC go but I am missing it...

It is very much like comparing a Gibson LP standard with a VOS...is it worth that much more? To some people yes.

I can ony speak to my LS150 (now LS160). Very Les Paul like in tone... snarly, big bottom without being mushy and an inbetween tone when dialed in, tastes kind of like T Bone Walker or Peter Green out of phase.

I have an LS60 Reborn as well. Great guitar, great sound but the LS150 edges it out in overall sound. The pickups sound that much better... and perhaps the alum tailpiece, brass saddles on the bridge, pots and caps too.

looktoyourorb said:
I would go for the 160 mostly for the solid top (veneer on the 92) and better hardware/woods.

The LS92 is not a veneer top, it's a solid maple plain top just like the LS160.

IMO, the LS92 is the best value for money guitar Tokai make, it's my favourite model.

If you take a close look at the Tokai website, it seems that you don't just get the same construction with the LS92 (left) as the LS160, you get the exact same grain pattern!

Still, the amber cell inlays on the LS160 do give it a certain pizzazz.

web.jpg

Obviously if you have the funds you go for the LS160, but I've got LS92s with awesome grain patterns, and I've yet to meet an LS92 that didn't go 12 rounds with a G LP Standard and at least get a draw. :)

For the price of a GLP Standard you can buy both the 160 and 92.
The 160 is the one you use at home or for jamming with friends where you know it's safe, and the 92 is the one you use to gig with...they sound basically the same, and they feel & play exactly the same.

Thank you to all of you for answering my question and because of lack of funds, I will go with the Tokai LS92 this summer.

Just another question though, can the Tokai LS92 win against a Gibson Les Paul Standard?

dragon135 said:
Thank you to all of you for answering my question and because of lack of funds, I will go with the Tokai LS92 this summer.

Just another question though, can the Tokai LS92 win against a Gibson Les Paul Standard?

In buit, fit, finish the LS92 would give the Gibbo a bloody nose - it's a win if you are ok with no having nitro (I have both nitro and non nitro, the non nitro are easier to care for).

Tone wise it's up to you to decide if you like the pickups or if you want to swap them in the future. I personally like the Gotoh units, they sound very jimmypagey to me (new word I came up with). If you want it to sound more like a LP of old then just pop some duncan 59's in or Gibson 57's.

looktoyourorb said:
dragon135 said:

In buit, fit, finish the LS92 would give the Gibbo a bloody nose - it's a win if you are ok with no having nitro (I have both nitro and non nitro, the non nitro are easier to care for).

Tone wise it's up to you to decide if you like the pickups or if you want to swap them in the future. I personally like the Gotoh units, they sound very jimmypagey to me (new word I came up with). If you want it to sound more like a LP of old then just pop some duncan 59's in or Gibson 57's.

As soon as the summer comes in, I can finally pawn my friend's Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard. How did you say that non-nitro are easier to care for? Is the difference very noticeable when a nitro-finished is compared to a non-nitro finish? Will a non-nitro finish still be shiny? (I'm sorry for many questions because I'm just new to the electric guitar world)

Thanks for your answer.

dragon135 said:
looktoyourorb said:
dragon135 said:

As soon as the summer comes in, I can finally pawn my friend's Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard. How did you say that non-nitro are easier to care for? Is the difference very noticeable when a nitro-finished is compared to a non-nitro finish? Will a non-nitro finish still be shiny? (I'm sorry for many questions because I'm just new to the electric guitar world)

Thanks for your answer.

A non Nitro finish on an LS92 will be polished to a gloss (shiny). The nitro is an old type of lacquer reputed for letting the wood "breathe" and resonate a little bit more. The downside is that it is very fragile (crack easily with age / temperature), it turns yellow with age and reacts to substances such as sweat or foam (guitar stands leave dull patches on it).

The lacquer used on the LS92 will not age or crack with weather changes and will preserve the "new" appearance of the guitar for longer. It will not feel as sticky as the nitro. Non nitro finishes are easier to apply and provide a smoother glass like finish - some high end makers like PRS swear by them.

The price to pay is that it is said to not let the guitar resonate as well. Having said that the modern finishes are way thinner than in the old days so I don't think you would notice it at all.

looktoyourorb said:
dragon135 said:
looktoyourorb said:
dragon135 said:

Thanks for your answer.

A non Nitro finish on an LS92 will be polished to a gloss (shiny). The nitro is an old type of lacquer reputed for letting the wood "breathe" and resonate a little bit more. The downside is that it is very fragile (crack easily with age / temperature), it turns yellow with age and reacts to substances such as sweat or foam (guitar stands leave dull patches on it).

The lacquer used on the LS92 will not age or crack with weather changes and will preserve the "new" appearance of the guitar for longer. It will not feel as sticky as the nitro. Non nitro finishes are easier to apply and provide a smoother glass like finish - some high end makers like PRS swear by them.

The price to pay is that it is said to not let the guitar resonate as well. Having said that the modern finishes are way thinner than in the old days so I don't think you would notice it at all.

Good post, I agree.

I have a few nitros currently that are driving me nuts, they have to hang, I can't keep them in their cases....yet I sold one to singemonkey a while back that was completely dry and smooth as silk "out the box".

Btw, when you get some dull patches on the nitro finish the best stuff to use is Farecla G3...excellent stuff.
It will polish those dull spots out and back to a perfect shiny finish.

To be honest, if I had to choose, poly or nitro, I'd choose poly everytime.

marcusnieman said:
Here's the grain on mine:

019.jpg

Love your guitar, it's a beauty...the 160 Violin Finishes are all special, they each have a unique grained maple top.

How about these two.

ls160violin1.jpg

Wow... those are gorgeous and you're right, they all are very unique and with character. I love flame tops but they all look relatively the same. Also, with a plaintop, theres no argument as to whether its a veneer or not. 8)

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful answers.

Can you guys post some pics of your LS92 VF guitars? That would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back