LS 540 and 420 differences?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hassouni

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum, and yet to own a Tokai, and given my lack of funds it may be a long ways off yet. Whenever it happens I'm interested in having something as close sonically to a 59/60 LP as I can get - I'm also never buying a new Gibson, as I find their corporate practices appalling.

It seems the LS 160 is pretty **** close, though the LS 540 and 420 seem closer still (along with Navigators and maybe a few others). I've been looking at the specs on the Japanese site, and it seems to me that the only difference between the 540 and 420 is the pickups - and this is a 120,000 yen difference? Is there any more to it than that?

I've had a look at the 2010 catalogue and it would appear that you are right - the only difference is the pickups. Rolphs are pricey and limited in supply, but 120k!

I can only assume that the 540 is made in more limited numbers than the 420, and/or the wood selection on the 540 is more in depth, and/or the 540 is made by one master luthier alone.
Things like that cost a lot of money.

No idea whether any of this is what actually happens with these very high end Tokai LPs, just my theories about what MAY be happening. I have NO inside information.

Why single out Gibson as the worst company around? Many corporates suck big time, and loads more would do even worse stuff if they could get away with it. :lol:

I do think that LS420 and 540?s prices are inside Gibson Historic?s price range territory (give or take a couple of bucks). Given the present yen exchange rate, it would be pretty difficult to choose between a Gibson Historics and one of those Tokais for me. And I would probably go along the Gibson route. The Historic guitars are, most of the times, great guitars.

And I do have some experience with both brands....

Yes, for those in the USA a used Historic would be a better buy IMO. At least in the US there is some chance of actually auditioning a few before purchase.
Outside of Japan it would be very hard to audition a 420/540 I expect, and to be fair, a 540 would cost around USD $6500 at the moment, which is quite a bit higher than the street price of an R9.

I had an R8 and it was a really nice guitar which I would have kept if the neck had been just a bit narrower (I was fine with the depth but the width and depth together was too much).
Would have totally kept it if I was loaded, but selling it enabled me to buy a Bacchus Duke and a Momose MC-2. :)

Well I found out Gibson is taking shortcuts in their Historics too, there was some post about the neck not even fully contacting the body when some guy took his apart for a refinish or something.

What are differences between the 420s and the Navigators, because the latter are a lot cheaper too

Hassouni said:
given my lack of funds, I'm interested in having something as close sonically to a 59/60 LP as I can get

LS92 (1958)
LS98F (1959)

Hassouni said:
Well I found out Gibson is taking shortcuts in their Historics too, there was some post about the neck not even fully contacting the body when some guy took his apart for a refinish or something...

Link?

There's a great and cheaper alternative as the very high end Tokai will cost a bomb: a used LS150 flame top, this should tick all boxes in terms of feel and quality (exceptional).

You may stumble on a used one (I'm keeping mine thank you) if so make sure you snap it up real quick...

looktoyourorb said:
a used LS150 flame top, this should tick all boxes in terms of feel and quality (exceptional)..

A new one (now an LS160 I believe) is still a bargain considering it's pretty much the same as an R8

marcusnieman said:
looktoyourorb said:
a used LS150 flame top, this should tick all boxes in terms of feel and quality (exceptional)..

A new one (now an LS160 I believe) is still a bargain considering it's pretty much the same as an R8

R8 or R9? I thought they were more like the latter, in terms of neck profile etc - or do you just mean it isn't flamey like an R9?

I'm curious, the 160 has lacquer over a poly sealer, right? Does that still let the wood breathe and age? I'm not going for 50 year tone*, but it's still a valid question I think. I couldn't care less about flame tops.

*The tones that inspire me are from the mid 60s to the early 70s, when Les Pauls were 5-15 year old instruments, not 50 year "relic" what have you...

Hassouni said:
marcusnieman said:
looktoyourorb said:

R8 or R9? I thought they were more like the latter, in terms of neck profile etc - or do you just mean it isn't flamey like an R9?

I'm curious, the 160 has lacquer over a poly sealer, right? Does that still let the wood breathe and age? I'm not going for 50 year tone*, but it's still a valid question I think. I couldn't care less about flame tops.

*The tones that inspire me are from the mid 60s to the early 70s, when Les Pauls were 5-15 year old instruments, not 50 year "relic" what have you...

Yeah the LS-160 is like the R8 because of the plain top, the neck profile on all the Tokai LPs is virtually the same across the range. Tokai have gone for something close to the 59 profile, maybe slightly smaller than some R9s, and of course 2009 was the year when Gibson finally produced a Historic with the correct slightly V shaped LP neck like the originals.

The problem you're going to have is that the originals were made of old growth Honduran mahogany using the less dense wood from higher up the trees, and this just isn't available on lower priced guitars these days (it may not be available on any newer guitar no matter what price). If you believe that the wood will ultimately decide how good the tone will be then it's got to be old, lightish mahogany, or maybe spanish cedar like the early 50s LPs.

From the sounds of it, your best course of action is to have a replica made up using old mahogany, maple and brazilian rosewood. It's actually not as expensive as you might think, but it may not be easy to find a builder. There was somebody on this forum who got a replica and promptly sold most or all his MIJ LPs.

I believe your tone quest will ultimately be unfulfilling for the main reason that the amps and speakers used in the past had a hell of a lot to do with the tones people were getting.

I reckon there are newer guitars that sound great, and you don't have to go through the vintage guitar crapshoot (if it's cheap there's something wrong with it), but ideally if you can audition a few guitars there's sure to be something that takes your fancy. You could do a lot worse than a LS-160, but also look at the HLS versions which have the late 50s shallower neck angle and more vintage correct control placement and looks (some have veneer flame tops though).

You are correct about the lacquer over poly situation, this is par for the course for most newer Japanese guitars up to 200 to 250k yen, higher in some cases.

Does the lacquer over poly let the wood breathe and age and vibrate properly? I have a Highway One Strat with VERY thin nitro over thin poly sealer, and the resonance is just breathtaking. I have heavy poly finish guitars with almost no resonance. I vastly prefer the former - however, no idea if the wood in my Strat will age and improve because of the sealer.

I mean I'm really just going for a classic 60s and 70s sound - Clapton, Page, Peter Green - they all had different guitars and different sounds, I just want that ballpark (though nitro and a one piece back would be really nice touches). I have a Marshall Superlead reissue with a 4x12 that should be getting some proper vintage style speakers - all my favorite LP tones are through a Marshall. And like I said, someone using a 59 LP in 1969 was only using a 10 year old instrument, through likely a brand new amp....

I have little interest in hide glue and headstock angles and an aged finish, just sound construction, resonance, and sound

Hassouni said:
...I have little interest in hide glue and headstock angles and an aged finish, just sound construction, resonance, and sound

Those things can only really be evaluated via an audition.

The neck angle on a LP does have an effect on the tone.

Hassouni said:
JVsearch said:
The neck angle on a LP does have an effect on the tone.

the 160 correct in that regard?

Do you mean the HLS-160 or the LS-160?

The HLS models claim to have a vintage neck angle, but the entry level HLS-160 has a veneer flame top.

It might be possible to get close to the effect of a lower neck angle on a guitar with a higher neck angle by raising the tail piece on it, or top wrapping the strings around the tail piece.

This is assuming that most of the tonal differences come from the string break angle over the ABR.

You might not notice the difference through a cranked Marshall! :)

Hassouni said:
Whats HLS? I only see LS on the Japanese Tokai site (odn.whatever)

HLS is the vintage reissue version of the Japanese LS guitars. AFAIK they range from HLS-160 to HLS-420.

If they're not on the Tokai site then they must have stopped making them I guess, sorry.

Hassouni said:
Well I found out Gibson is taking shortcuts in their Historics too, there was some post about the neck not even fully contacting the body when some guy took his apart for a refinish or something.

That is not true, not with my R8 anyway. The neck tenon route is very tight and nicely crafted.

However I have heard the same rumour about some era of Gibson USA(?)

Latest posts

Back