PLEASE HELP----is this an old or new Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobstheman

Reaction score
I bought this and was told it was a mid 80s tokai, is this really an old one or a new one? Serial number is 114166, im not afraid of giving out my serial number

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It would greatly assist the regular contributors if you added your location to your profile. This is because, if my understanding of these things is correct the modified headstock's were introduced into the US way before they were introduced into Europe. So if yours is a US based guitar it is going to be older than one purchased in Europe. If I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to put me right :)
I can't say that I remember seeing a modified headstock Goldie with the closed tuners before and I notice that you have the old type switch and pots are the same type as on my ST55N [dated '84/'85] which I believe Tokai were using in the mid/late 80's to who knows when?
Where's the serial number stamped?

njnall said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
It would greatly assist the regular contributors if you added your location to your profile. This is because, if my understanding of these things is correct the modified headstock's were introduced into the US way before they were introduced into Europe. So if yours is a US based guitar it is going to be older than one purchased in Europe. If I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to put me right :)
I can't say that I remember seeing a modified headstock Goldie with the closed tuners before and I notice that you have the old type switch and pots are the same type as on my ST55N [dated '84/'85] which I believe Tokai were using in the mid/late 80's to who knows when?

thank you for the warm welcome, i am on the east coast of the US and the serial number is 114166 I picked it up in a pawn shop

njnall said:
It would greatly assist the regular contributors if you added your location to your profile. This is because, if my understanding of these things is correct the modified headstock's were introduced into the US way before they were introduced into Europe. So if yours is a US based guitar it is going to be older than one purchased in Europe.

It's nice to see somebody else saying this instead of me!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896

Please add it to your profile, not just mention it in one post. It's VERY relevant information.

Also, njnall asked you where the serial number is, but you haven't told him.

Mike

bluejeannot said:
This is NOT a mid 80s Tokai.Gabe.It`s likely to be year 2000 or so.

Not necessarily, if he's in the US. None of us can attempt to date a guitar without all the relevant information.

Interesting grain on the maple fingerboard - I don't recall seeing that before.

5 30W V is written inside the body under the pots

114166 is stamped on the neckplate so i figured that is the serial number (i thought you guys saw that as its not on the back of the headstock, my mistake)

Other than that there are no numbers or anything dating it

Yeah that grain is very interesting.

It also has a dot separating the two numbers of the code like my Goldie.

screenshot.jpg

I asked Peter Mac about the dot and he replied, "In terms of the 'dot', I have not seen it before. The stamps all had '=' or sometimes '-' that I have seen. This may be have been introduced later, or for a particular market or for a custom colour."

BTW, I don't think anybody has cracked the code yet. Some interesting theories but they don't tell us much and I don't remember seeing that V suffix either.

Thanks for the information on where the serial number was stamped, now the bad news is that by the mid 80's this wasn't a mechanism for accurately dating a Tokai Goldstar, however it does mean that it's very unlikely to be a newer model as these didn't have anything stamped on the neckplate. Another anomoly is that the headstock seems to have had the "Oldies but Goldies" logo rather than the usual AST56 inscription so it could be a TST40 as per attached link[except the AST had vintage style tuners] so perhaps not.
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p3.jpg

njnall said:
Thanks for the information on where the serial number was stamped, now the bad news is that by the mid 80's this wasn't a mechanism for accurately dating a Tokai Goldstar, however it does mean that it's very unlikely to be a newer model as these didn't have anything stamped on the neckplate. Another anomoly is that the headstock seems to have had the "Oldies but Goldies" logo rather than the usual AST56 inscription so it could be a TST40 as per attached link[except the AST had vintage style tuners] so perhaps not.

So it looks to be an TST40, probably from the mid 80s?

mirrorboy said:
BTW, I don't think anybody has cracked the code yet. Some interesting theories but they don't tell us much and I don't remember seeing that V suffix either.

Well there are some Tokai secrets still hidden. Nobody knows what the code is on this one..... :wink:

145_4506.jpg

Tom - I just checked my pink Goldie, which we also think might be a later model, & it doesn't have the dot in the code.

bobstheman said:
So it looks to be an TST40, probably from the mid 80s?

I wasn't aware that the US market got Goldstars in the 80s - I thought the US got AST-56 & AST-64 (or some number) models instead from the date the headstock changed? 1983? 84?

Some things never change. Posted in 2002

Hi Mike,

Where in the world are you anyway?

:lol: :roll:

njnall said:
1990-2000 goldies had the modified headstock, serial numbers and Goldstar sound decals as far as I know.Don`t you think the neck wood is too pale for a guitar that is supposedly over 30 years old? Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
1990-2000 goldies had the modified headstock, serial numbers and Goldstar sound decals as far as I know..

Are you certain that that information applies to US market guitars too?

I'm not.

Old post, but trying to help.

Looks like an AST40?

I have seen those dots in body & neck codes that seem to be from the late 80s to mid 90s?

Dot Codes

A six digit serial number starting with 1xxxxx is a mystery and possibly a big puzzle piece.

Likely comes after the six digit serial numbers starting with 2xxxxx with pot dates from around 1987?

If you ever see this, could you tell me if there is a date code on your pots? Hard to see in the pic.

HSS bodies seem likely come after yours and date to 1989 - 1994?

Serial numbers are generally six digit starting with 01xxxx. Some have dots.

Mystery HSS SSH Goldstars

Adding your guitar to a related thread here:

Six Digit Goldtars Starting With 1xxxxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back