Does Tokai have a Custom Shop?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttstreet

Reaction score
Is it possible for an individual to special order (at a reasonable price) say a unbound plaintop fat 58 neck lp with abalone neck inlays, premium wood, pickups of choice, etc.? Anyone ever special ordr a Tokai or Bacchus? Would Tokai make me a 58 Futura model like Bacchus does?

Yep, there is such a place: http://www.theguitarshop.jp/service/custommade1.html

They have a shop in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka which I believe is near the Tokai factory. I remember seeing a thread somewhere where someone ordered one and they sent him pictures at all stages of building.

Since the page is all in Japanese I would try the email address on the page. I have no experience dealing with them personally, but it seems like if you can tell them what you want they can build it.

Be sure to let us know if you try it out.

You could make a try really but Tokai is very very busy since a years ago fortunatly (from a bussines view point). Also, Tokai was not known for making variations from what they usually craft , as far as they do it really well and have excellent sales. I asked a lot of years ago making an ES-175 style guitar for a guitarist friend of mine at the time with no sucess.It is avalaible since a year ago or so now.... I also asked some features 4 years ago, but had hot fully communication sucess, and final product (althought good), was not OK enough to me(I was looking for the highest of the highest however, with some special specs...)

I placed an order with a Tokai ebay seller (billcasexu81 or something) and asked her about the possibility of a "creamtop" instead of a goldtop LS165. She checked with Tokai (or at least told me she did) and the answer was no.

That japanese custom shop sounds interesting though, gotta check that out.

Brazen, you have to think in a different way regarding what Custom Shop means in Tokai.....They think their product is good enough and don?t need to do many changes as other have to,just think fender Custom Shop..A custom shop really?.They accept or refuse variations,Honda does the same here in Europe with cars...And they don?t care about......Losing and losing sales.

If Tokai looses sales in these special models I guess they don?t care about,as far as they are so busy with regular models.....And Tokai have Custom Shop models with their high end models,just check for specs....
I?d like they would have time enough to accept some very special orders but I guess they have not.

I would check with a japanese dealer for a special model,Yoshi Tsurumi for example.

Back