Greco and... Renegade?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:-? Anyone know anything about the current E-bay listings for the Greco Les Pauls and Strats ? They look real good! And what about those bolt on Renegade? L.P.'s selling for $186? Maybe get one for the nephew so he can dump that gawdawful goofy $150 Ibanez he's been wrestling with! Figured this would be the place for info 8) The sick thing is in the last two years I paid just a little more for two 84' TLS 80's , $200 for one that a lady at my church offered me when her husband passed away{ the classic under the bed story} and $250 in the Guitar Center parking lot. Those were the days! :cry:

Greco was very similar to Ibanez.Thre were bolt-on and set-neck LP replicas.I have seen some photos(as they are made for Japanese market only)and I could tell 79-81 era could be made by Tokai or by the Fernandes builder.I tell this bewcause the logos on headstock.

These look really nice , I know that growing up in the 60's Greco guitars that made it to the states were always low quality department store peices, along the lines of the stuff you found in the Lafaette catalog with all the Italian push button 6 stringers! 8)

Yeah,

I see a lot of Grecos here in Japan, and it seems like the 60's models all had bolt-on necks and played like crap.

BUT, I buy lots of Grecos from around '77 to '82 and all of them rival Gibson quality and have stickers inside the hollow body guitars that say they were made at the Fuji Gengakki factory.

Those models are REALLY sweet. I collect those because you can get them pretty cheap and they play like thousand dollar instruments.

I got an ES-336 True flame top and back, set-neck, bound everything including individual frets with PAF pickups for under $400 USD.

I just was flipping through the Musician's Friend catalog and saw it there! But it said "Gibson" on the headstock and was selling for over $3,000 USD!

So yes, the really early Grecos are best for firewood, but once you get into the late 70's models and early '80s models, they are on line with Tokai quality.

Back