modern Love Rocks guitars: lower quality than older models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
I see a lot of folks saying the modern love rocks guitars are much lower quality than the older ones from the 1980's.

Now i see this with any reputable brand ( Fender, charvel, gibson, rickenbacker, ibanez etc etc) where age almost always equals better quality.

Is there something to this? Im about to pull the trigger on an LS80, but want to be sure its the best i can get for the money, as to me, its a lot of money to be splurging.

+ 1 to singemonkey.

schmintan - don't believe the BS you read on the internet, it's impossible to build better quality guitars than what Tokai currently build.

Were the old ones good...yes, of course they were, are the new ones good, yes, they're unbelievably good.

You should be splurging twice the amount, be happy you're paying half of the real value.

Rubbish. Just picked up a 2005 Special which is in the top three nicest guitars I've ever played (numbers in the hundreds), let alone owned (numbers over a hundred :oops:)!

I would say every good guitar becomes even much better when time is passing by.As far as I can say the new tokais are still the awesome quality but from my opinion they will be much better after be played for 10 or 20 years.

t.olsen said:
I would say every good guitar becomes even much better when time is passing by.As far as I can say the new tokais are still the awesome quality but from my opinion they will be much better after be played for 10 or 20 years.

This is true.
But...the question is, were they made better 30 years ago than they're made today?
IMO, it's not possible to make them any better than they're made today.
I don't know what's going on in the Tokai factory, how things work, etc, etc...but the guitars that leave that factory are nothing short of phenomenal.

Diamond said:
t.olsen said:

This is true.
But...the question is, were they made better 30 years ago than they're made today?
IMO, it's not possible to make them any better than they're made today.
I don't know what's going on in the Tokai factory, how things work, etc, etc...but the guitars that leave that factory are nothing short of phenomenal.

I agree with you.I guess the quality of production and craftmanship has become almost perfect since the beginning,due to optimizing the steps and the experience they collected in more than 30 years

Bear in mind an Reborn LS80 from '79 is a better specced guitar than a 2010 LS80 simply because of inflation, 80,000 Yen in '79 was a lot more money! A modern LS150 is just about the equivalent spec to a 79 LS80.

I own three vintage Tokais and they are superb, I've also played some new ones and they are every bit as well put together.

FWIW,

my 2005 LS150 is by far the best LP I've played so far. Much as I'd like a reborn or something the recent Tokais are superb instruments - I wouldn't think twice about buying a MIJ Tokai.

Rgds
Pete

Diamond said:
Cali Girl said:
I prefer the old ones.

You're in the USA, how many new ones have you played?

It doesn't seem fair to dismiss somebody's posts just because they live in America. After all, we don't dismiss your posts because you're a Tokai distributor, & therefore biased!

stratman323 said:
Diamond said:
Cali Girl said:
I prefer the old ones.

It doesn't seem fair to dismiss somebody's posts just because they live in America. After all, we don't dismiss your posts because you're a Tokai distributor, & therefore biased!

I think Diamond was refering to the lack of availability in the US of new Tokais.

stratman323 said:

Well played :)

I've played a few new ones, and I have been known to travel quite a lot, even to continents that don't have America in the name.

Cali Girl said:
stratman323 said:

Well played :)

I've played a few new ones, and I have been known to travel quite a lot, even to continents that don't have America in the name.

You need to travel to SAfrica so you can see where the African mahogany comes from. :D

JohnA said:
stratman323 said:
Diamond said:
Cali Girl said:
I prefer the old ones.

I think Diamond was refering to the lack of availability in the US of new Tokais.

That's exactly what I was referring to.

Stratman thinks I'm biased because I'm a distributor....not true...I'm biased because I tell the truth, and the truth is they're the best guitar money can buy...it's that simple.

Diamond said:
the truth is they're the best guitar money can buy...it's that simple.

Oh dear.

x5ow7n.gif

Diamond said:

Stratman thinks I'm biased because I'm a distributor....not true...I'm biased because I tell the truth, and the truth is they're the best guitar money can buy...it's that simple.

Stratman might have a point :wink:

Latest posts

Back