Adjusting Action in my SG175

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrocortez

Reaction score
Hi All,

after a couple of days playing I have definitely decided that the action is too high on my new Sg175 the way it is currently set up.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide to adjusting the action and neck relief. I'm pretty good with tools etc - just never adjusted a neck before !

whats a god way to check the relief etc ?

Rgds
Pete

To check relief I fret at the 15th fret and the 1st fret, then I check the relief at the 7th fret...I like to be able to slide a piece of paper between the string and fret at the 7th.

Action - I lower the action until the high E and B strings are just right for the way I like to bend strings...that's it, my actions done.

Then I fret each string at the 3rd fret and check that the string is clearing and not touching the 1st fret..if it's a little high then the nut slot needs to be filed a little down.

cheers Guys,

I guess so ,

I suppose on a 2008 NIB guitar I shouldnt expect it to get shipped from EU mainland and arrive set up totally to my liking.

a little bit of a pity to have to spend the extra wonga to get the action down on a "High-end" Tokai model.
Its really noticeably harder to play than my LS150 or McCarty which are my other regular squeezes.

Anyone in North UK recommend a really good tech they trust ? - I dont like going to the major Music stores and having some part-timer work on my guitar !

Rgds
Pete

I don't understand...why do you need a guitar tech or setup?

Just lower the action, what's the problem?

Diamond said:

"Can anyone give me a step by step guide to adjusting the action and neck relief. I'm pretty good with tools etc - just never adjusted a neck before !"

Neck relief adjustments for someone who's never done one before on a pricey guitar is best left to a professional.... in my humble opinion. Adjusting the bridge height, tailpiece height and pickup height is something anyone can do

marcusnieman said:
Diamond said:

"Can anyone give me a step by step guide to adjusting the action and neck relief. I'm pretty good with tools etc - just never adjusted a neck before !"

Neck relief adjustments for someone who's never done one before on a pricey guitar is best left to a professional.... in my humble opinion. Adjusting the bridge height, tailpiece height and pickup height is something anyone can do

I agree...but if it's just to lower the action then it's just the bridge height that needs to be lowered, and maybe lower the pickups accordingly...the neck relief may be perfect as is.
Sending it in for a setup seems like a waste of money.

Diamond said:

I always take a newly acquired guitar in for a once over and set up.... whether new out of the box or used. After that, I tweak myself..... best $45 insurance policy out there. I put 11's on all of my guitars and that affects everything...... action, pickup heights, relief and yes, nut (and saddle) slots that have been cut for 9's or 10's.

But that's just me...... I'd think that an SG175 right out of the box should be fine other than possibly a couple of the things above.

setting up a guitar is like sawing legs on a chair .....

you saw the nut ...then adjust the bridge ...then the bridge saddles then you break a string raise the saddle again and it goes on and on and on .....and if you've got a trem you begin to lose the will to live .......

i agree with Marcus take it to a good tech ...forget about it for a day or two comeback to this wonderful instrument .....and just enjoy playing it ....

a good set up will last for ages and you can do your own small adjustments knowing that everything is in the right ballpark ....

:D

having said that.....i'm about to start a ten week evening class on "guitar

maintenance " which will no doubt qualify me to conduct and pronounce on

various degrees of Vandalism involving wood and wires ..... :evil: :lol:

pedrocortez said:
a little bit of a pity to have to spend the extra wonga to get the action down on a "High-end" Tokai model.

High end or bottom end, no matter how well they are set up at the facotry guitars are made of wood and will change a little as they travel by road, air, sea etc. to get to your hands.

I always have my guitars professionally set up when first purchased, no matter what they cost. It's a total transformation, best value for money there is, and IMO should be considered as part of the cost when buying. Would you buy a house without paying a surveyor to give it the thumbs up?

marcusnieman said:
Diamond said:

I always take a newly acquired guitar in for a once over and set up.... whether new out of the box or used. After that, I tweak myself..... best $45 insurance policy out there. I put 11's on all of my guitars and that affects everything...... action, pickup heights, relief and yes, nut (and saddle) slots that have been cut for 9's or 10's.

But that's just me...... I'd think that an SG175 right out of the box should be fine other than possibly a couple of the things above.

When you took your new LS150 in for a setup what did your guitar tech do to it...did you watch him do the setup?

I am with Diamond on this; setting up a guitar isn't rocket science.
My point is that setting it up is all about adjusting the guitar to your own preferences. I for one don't like very low action for instance. Does the tech know your preferences, are you there when he adjusts the guitar bit by bit?

Diamond said:
When you took your new LS150 in for a setup what did your guitar tech do to it...did you watch him do the setup?

Well, I can't very well take off a day from work and hover over his shoulder to watch.... but yes, I did take it to him..... in part so he could see it - he's worked on all my guitars and if it doesn't require much, he may charge me $10 or $20 instead of the standard $35

Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

I found a great guitar tech via the net - and he turned out to be only 1.5miles from where I live.

Took the SG in - he loved it and we shared our view that Jap Tokais were fantastic instruments. He was very impressed with the build quality vs other well known SG products....

Minor adjustments to neck, bridge and nut required - and it will be back with me on Monday.

He even said he offers 2 weeks playing time after any set up to make sure its how I want it and any tweaking free in that time.

Having seen his work and workshop very confident he will get the best out of it for me.

Cant wait to get her back now - playing the LS150 in the meantime - so life is good !

Rgds
Pete

PS - will post pics of the SG next week.

It's good to know a decent guitar tech for doing those jobs that are a little bit beyond our own abilities. Enjoy the SG.

Mike

jacco said:
I am with Diamond on this; setting up a guitar isn't rocket science.
My point is that setting it up is all about adjusting the guitar to your own preferences. I for one don't like very low action for instance. Does the tech know your preferences, are you there when he adjusts the guitar bit by bit?

+1

As long as you do 1/4 turns and leave the guitar enough time to move between turns, always do it when fully tuned too otherwise you can't really judge the bow. Just go step by step and you will not damage a thing.

The first step as usual is to play with the bridge first to see how low it will go before buzzing.

Remember - STOP TURNING THE KEY IF IT FEELS TOO HARD

Back