Stir it up!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
8) Things have gotten kinda dull around here since we have all made Peace and are Now "Best of Friends"!...Oh well :wink: Heres an interesting situation... That "Jail House" Custom Shop Strat I adopted a week ago seems to be a Hot Item among my Fender pals all kinds of offers of trade have crossed my desk! The latest being a straight-up trade for a 2month old Cyber Twin , I have a Flextone with 1-12 and a 1-12 cab gonna A/B 'em this weekend and see what happens! I know what Fireman John thinks already! Have a great weekend everyone 8) !

Hey Tokai....If you want some action let's both meet at the east coast/west coast Florida line and we'll have a slug fest.May the best man win! LOL :lol:

Naaaaaaaah Just kidding! ;o) Fighting is for wimps! Ha,Ha,Ha! Cyber Twins Rule!

John

londonbarry and Tokaiguy.....I've had my Cyber Twin now for about a year and a half now and have had 0 problems with mine...I use it frequently at gigs and to rehearse with my band at loud volumes....One thing I've found is that it always gives me a consistent tone compared to some of my vintage tube(Marshalls/fender)stuff....Tube amps are great as long as the wall voltages coming into the amp is pretty stable...The Cyber Twin is also the most versatile amp I've ever owned and I've owned several....You have to plug into the CT and twist knobs and learn your way around a bit because alot of the factory presets are too showy and have too many effects and crap turned on!

There are some problems with the Cyber Twins related to tube rattling and occasional computer glitches,but I wouldn't have kept mine up until now if it was a source for constant worry and problems....Listen for yourself and don't believe everything you read.....As a friend I'm relaying the honest truth to you! ;o) My amp always gets me compliments and it is very consistent and a fun amp to own.....

John

:D Thanks for the 2cents! I like the Cyber Twin for the same reasons as Fireman John and thats why I bought the FlextoneII. I like the two cab set-up of the Line 6 and I think one only needs one Computer amp ! The "Jail House" Strat will stay and the Twin will go! My wife agrees. I never thought I would ever own anything but a heatmakin ,tube burnin amp, But John is right, for giging and consistancy I gotta stick with the Robot. I don't want Mrs. Tokaiguy to hear that or she"ll try to shut down the Amp Cabin in bedroom 3! I got quized last night about the 1960 Marshall and the 64'AC 30 " Ya don't play'em, what do ya need em for?" and " How many Guitars is enough?" I can't complain , most of em have been gifts from her! And Fireman John, I'm too good look'in to chance getting my face rearanged so we can just go on being friends! Later my brutha's

Tokai.....friends is great.....fighting sucks! Make love not war,right brother? ;o) I finished my Love Rock with the Classic 57 in the bridge....It's great but I'll post more real soon.....Gotta jet..

John

Londonbarry....hey you do have very valid points and I'll admit it's a concern of mine also....So far so good...I was just sold on what this amp was capable of and the versatility and tone I get from it....When this amp first came out I thought" Ok another so called modeling amp" I shyed away from the amp for awhile....One day I ordered mine from Musician's Friend to run it through it's paces and see what this amp was all about..MF offered a 45 day money back guarantee on it but I'd have to pay to ship it back,.....Anyway,after getting some cool stuff quickly dialed into it,I ended up sellimg my Mesa Tremoverb head and bought it after having it two weeks...This amp has been alot of fun and has been great and with no problems....Like anything else,if it becomes a problem I'll sell it for like 50 bucks! ;o)

John

8) Thats correct ! My baby buys me presents! My wedding present from her was a 66' black 360-12 Rickenbacker, Then in the early 80's she gave me an AST-62 in bubble gum pink. 38th birthday in 92' the first honeyburst Les Paul Classic to arrive at the Guitar Center in Dallas and if that was'nt enough a65' Gretsch Double Anniversary the following Valentines Day{ a burst} Last year a Tokai SG-60 from Japan! And sorry Barry no sister, but her brother is a bit "Light in The Loafers"!If you catch my drift! :wink: First wife told me that this guitar thing was not for grown men! They were selling hardtail Strats in 74' for $199 at Don Wier's Music City in San Francisco while we were on the honeymoon and she said No! Lasted 26 months! You do'nt make the same mistakes with the second one! I wore all black leather,earrings, Jacked-up hair and Beatle Boots to my second wedding...the Rick was the best man! They gotta love" YOU"!

Time to stand up for the Valve/Tube lovers of the world!

I'm not going to get into too much technical detail but there is a small defect with the emperors new clothes. A little thing with the acronym LTI.

It's a mathematical short cut that DSP uses to make life easier.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on where you stand, valves and transformers are not LTI.

There is a long way to go before we see real modelling of valve amps.

This may come as a relief for those who've heard modelling amps and couldn't quite put their finger on why they weren't quite right, no you're not going mad it's LTI.

GB

I don't have the slightest idea what acronym LTI is (please enlighten me), but I know that I've never been happy with transistor driven overdrive/distortion! Just ask gregert, he knows me.

LTI - Linear Time Invariant

In other words - is linear and does not change over time.
(note: time could be micro-seconds not years or anything silly like that)

The reponse of transformers and valves is NOT linear and DOES change with time.

When designing a DSP model they use the LTI shortcut because the alternative is painful to the point of impossible.

A long ways off is that perfect valve amp model

GB

Well, that I did know, I just hadn't heard that term before :lol:
I can relate to that, but does Line6 use the same technology in their POD? Seems like they have emulated the response of the old tube amps pretty good!

Another Q; how does the bias inflict the transition curve on tubes?
I am an electronic technichian but, unfortunately, it's several years since tube design and understanding was a subject in school :cry:

:D It was the POD that got me interested in the Flextone, I have a Vox Berkly solid state in mint condition that sounds like El Crapo, but using the POD it makes a great looking and sounding stage amp . 8) And the POD is great for the times when you need to go direct to the P.A. :lol:

I love my POD. Simple as that. After playing with amps for over 25 years I ended up with a POD when it first came out. Partly because at that time I didn't do much livegigs, mostly studiowork so I bought one.
Now it's all I take to the gigs,- POD, a couple of guitars and a few effects.
Sound better than ever, but some people says it has something to do with my fingers....... 8)

Preben,- when was the last time you were satisfied with your amps and how the **** did you get in here?!
(Relax people, he's my nephew.......)

Hey, Uncle! Been here for some time now, thought you'd noticed by now :roll: You showed it to me.........
I haven't complained about my Laney VC50, have I? Except that it's way too loud for my apartment :lol: I bet I'd be kicked out pretty quick if I pumped it up to the point where it sounds GOOD........... hope I can afford that Marshall 4x12 cabinet soon :wink:

Anyway, I've heard/tried the POD at gregerts's place numeous times, and it's the most versatile and good-sounding guitar processor I've ever seen.....eh; heard, that is...........

I totally agree with the tube/valve players as I'm still very much one myself...I still own my vintage Marshall and BF Fender stuff....But....

Unless you can either use a PowerBrake or a THD unit etc. or pedals,or crank the Marshall to 11,it just doesn't sound good and isn't very practical in a small club,nor is this amp realistic w/out the above.....once you add in any of these other equations,you are already away from the actual fundamental tone of the amp(especially as far as the preamp is concerned)

My reasoning for the Cyber Twin or the Flextone,Valvetronics Vox amp etc. is for the versatility.....The tone is happening in my case also because I've taken the time to dial it in nicely for the tones I need.....It's not perfect but it sounds good at lower volume levels and much better at higher volume levels.....

It's hard to beat the feel,warmth,squish,and compression we all love from our tube amps,but the modeling stuff sure has filled a nice niche for me and my band.....Just my .02 cents..

John :roll:

Please don't get me wrong - I am no Ludite when it comes to new technology - quite the opposite.

But I just thought it was worth pointing out that as much as you are gaining, and in terms of flexibility that's a huge step forward, there is a compromise as with all things.

All I'm saying is watch out for hype and trust your ears - this is where *your* sound really comes from.

Quality valve amps give you everything you could ever want in terms of tone but true they are less flexible.

Like I said I'm just sticking up for the valve lovers.

oh and preben I guess POD will be using FFT's FIR's and LUT's
well you did ask :)

GB

Latest posts

Back