What are the great values in MIJ strats?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxplayer

Reaction score
A few years ago great bargains were abundant in MIJ Les Pauls. I had an early 80's Burny Super Grade and it was a super guitar and cheap too.

I'm looking to replace my Grosh with a strat in the $500 range. I thinking there may be great MIJ guitars to look for but I don't know which ones they are.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What country are you in? You can actually get a MIJ Fender E-series Strat in that price range on eBay (US). I picked up a great HSS Contemporary Strat (my favorite one of the line) for $380 + shipping.

I've also seen some older Greco models shipping out of Japan, but those are actually more expensive than the MIJ Fenders in the US. For some reason, Americans don't appreciate the value of a good Japanese guitar... the same thing sells for almost twice as much in Australia.

I'd agree MIJ as in FujiGen manufactured from 85 onwards, was probably at the top of their game at that time. Quality made guitars, just the electrics are cheap. I put some 70's flats in my A series, now it's just a dream to play. Don't forget the Pro Tone series MIK excellent value with some of the best wood grains you'll see

Sorry for the hijack, but how are the Tokai made Fenders rated? Are all Fenders marked Crafted In Japan Tokai made? What years were they and how do they compare to the Fujigen Fenders?

singemonkey said:
Sorry for the hijack, but how are the Tokai made Fenders rated?

Rated by who?...guitarists are not allowed to buy them or see them, Fender USA don't allow them to be exported...that's an indication of how Fender USA rate them.

I've owned a few CIJ Fenders, had to import them myself from Ishibashi, before Fender USA stopped Ishibashi from selling/exporting new ones...they're only allowed to export used ones these days.

I sold all the CIJ Fenders I owned because I only use CIJ Tokai's now...same guitar different decal. :)

I'll put my 2010 AST50A Tokai 'Goldstar' up against any Fender USA made Strat, it's that good.

Diamond said:
singemonkey said:

Rated by who?...guitarists are not allowed to buy them or see them, Fender USA don't allow them to be exported...that's an indication of how Fender USA rate them.

I've owned a few CIJ Fenders, had to import them myself from Ishibashi, before Fender USA stopped Ishibashi from selling/exporting new ones...they're only allowed to export used ones these days.

I sold all the CIJ Fenders I owned because I only use CIJ Tokai's now...same guitar different decal. :)

I'll put my 2010 AST50A Tokai 'Goldstar' up against any Fender USA made Strat, it's that good.

That's good to hear :)

Do you know how the new ones compare to the old ones apart from the obvious newness of the latest Goldstar?

Sorry, I've never owned an 'old' Goldstar, 'Springy' or 'Breezy', so I can't compare.
Gottfried could answer that question, he owns a bunch of both...I'd love to know his opinion.

mirrorboy said:
Diamond said:
singemonkey said:

That's good to hear :)

Do you know how the new ones compare to the old ones apart from the obvious newness of the latest Goldstar?

mirrorboy said:

My 2010 Breezy ATE50 isn't a patch on my 1980 TE70. And you can get a used one for less than the price of a new one. So why buy a new one?

Mike

Diamond said:

Hmmmmm........

CaptainHyperbole.jpg

I'll PM you my address...come on over with your "old" Goldstar and let's compare. :D

I've compared it side by side with Fender AVRI's and it holds it's own no problem.
Maybe a Custom Shop Fender is better, but it costs 4 times the price.

stratman323 said:
Diamond said:

Hmmmmm........

CaptainHyperbole.jpg

Back