Any opinions on the quality of Korean Tokais ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alba359

Reaction score
Any comments on the quality of the Korean Tokais espicially the Rickenbacker copies? How does the quality compare with other Korean made guitars? Thanks, Don

Thanks for the reply London. I'm not a guitarist and don't know much about what materials and building procedures to look for in a good guitar. I'm a drummer/studio owner looking for a "Beatle" sounding guitar to record in my small studio. I take it that a "scarf neck" is not typical of an upper quality guitar. That's ok because the prices are not phenominal for the Tokai style Rics. Best Reguards, Don

A scarf joint is a 45 degree (approx) angled joint that is used to hold the neck to the headstock. Provided it is done properly (which appears to be the case in both of my Korean guitars), as an engineer I believe it is a sound practice. There are other ways to join the headstock (as in the 3 piece Gibsons) - this can have it's own weaknesses. I believe some of the best guitars around are being made in Korea (check out some of the Brian Moore guitars for example). For around $400 how can you go wrong? My Korean Love Rock played through my Fender Twin just flat out rocks !!

I agree with your comment about sustain and bolted on necks, it does all become a bit academic though. I still believe in the old adage - if it sounds & plays good, then it has to be good. Another quick comment about guitars staying in tune - my TKM Love Rock holds tune better than any guitar I have ever owned, even under temperature fluctuations - maybe I am just lucky, but I rarely have to tweak it.

I have a Korean Strat, great guitar, one piece maple neck. They are really a best bang for buck piece of gear.

To be honest I have no idea - I am fairly new to Tokai, I don't like Strats period, never did, I guess it has something to do with me being a rythm player, though I understand why lead players love the accessibility to the upper strings (a disadvantage with the LR design). I always wanted a Les Paul, but couldn't afford one, I was less than impressed with every Epi I had tried, bought my LR sight unseen off EBAY, and was stunned with the quality of the guitar when it arrived. I changed the strings & dropped the bridge a small amount & it is silky smooth to play. I read a lot about Korean vs Jap, I can't comment on that, but the hardware on my guitar appears to be of excellent quality.

Back