Help identifying, dating and verifying Goldstar...

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

erfmedeiros
Plucker

Post by erfmedeiros » Thu May 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you very much Mick51!

Very nice to join you people!

robdefries
I only know 3 chords

Post by robdefries » Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 pm

mirrorboy wrote:I think it's a Squier Standard Stratocaster and the Tokai logo does not look the same to me as an original one by Tokai.
I think they neck heel points more towards other Asian copies. For sure it's not a Squier neck, because the ugly heel, the end of the fretboard is not round enough and the 12th fret markers are normally further apart on a Squier than on this one. I've seen the neckheel shape like this one before, but I can't remember the make though. If it is a Squier neck, it'll be one used on a cheap, real cheap guitar......... Don't know much about those Squiers, to be honoust.

The mounted bridge pickup, in the pictures, is NOT a DiMarzio! It's either a Seymour Ducan Little '59 or a copy of that pickup. It should have slotted head adjustable screws, or a combination of hex and slotted. In the last case it would make a Little Screaming Demon

robdefries
I only know 3 chords

Post by robdefries » Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm

The spacing of the two (hex) screws holding the tremolo is also not very much like a Squier/Fender tremolo. On the picture the screws are right underneath the E-e strings. That's not like Squier or Fender. Those screws are always outside of the strings.

I think this once was a cheap Asian guitar, made to look like a Tokai. Better try to get your money back, for I find $560 a bit dear for this guitar............

For what my opinion is worth.

robdefries
I only know 3 chords

Post by robdefries » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm

erfmedeiros wrote:Damn you people know your guitars, huh?

Don't mind the bridge, just spoke with the pre-pre-owner and he confirmed he had it replaced, so I guess it can't be taken into account. Otherwise, he couldn't give me any new information.
Stil, replaced or not, I find it hard to believe that the pre- previous owner took the bushings out and placed them closer together.

erfmedeiros
Plucker

Post by erfmedeiros » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Oh crap...

Well, the guitar sounds nice, but I won't spend any money if it doesn't have any pedigree to assure me it will keep that way.

Thank so much y'all.

Keep looking it is, then.

erfmedeiros
Plucker

Post by erfmedeiros » Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 pm

robdefries wrote:The mounted bridge pickup, in the pictures, is NOT a DiMarzio! It's either a Seymour Ducan Little '59 or a copy of that pickup. It should have slotted head adjustable screws, or a combination of hex and slotted. In the last case it would make a Little Screaming Demon
Hello there rob... The mounted bridge pickup is a whatever made in Argentina. The original bridge pickup shows in the pictures, inside the case, by the side of the guitar.

JVsearch
Guitar God

Post by JVsearch » Thu May 13, 2010 10:24 pm

erfmedeiros wrote:Anyhow, as soon as I get the guitar from the shop I'll take out the pickguard and take some decent pictures.

Keep brainstorming, I'm still in time to unbuy it. :)
Unbuy it.
You can do a lot better through Rinkya for a genuine Tokai.
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

TOMO
Plucker

affinity squire ?70 -?100

Post by TOMO » Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 pm

sorry looks like a cheap affinity squire i should no i own one just like it

erfmedeiros
Plucker

Post by erfmedeiros » Sun May 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Definitely not Affinity Squier, in my opinion.

If anyone's still in the mood to play the guessing game, I took (hopefully) more decent pictures. I'll be for ever thankful if anyone identifies this guitar.

I'm insisting a little on it, because I really love how it sounds, and the seller agreed to lower the price to about R$700,00 = US$390.00.

I'm guessing the guitar itself is hopelessly some kind of fake (although it would be nice to know where it came from--The "Tokai" and "Oldies but Goldies" look a lot like in the pictures I've been seeing) or frankenstocaster. The electric parts (at least to me) look dreadful. But how about the pickups? Any chance they are at least real DiMarzios?

I took 22 pics.

http://yfrog.com/15tokai001jx

erfmedeiros
Plucker

Post by erfmedeiros » Sun May 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Let me know if anyone is unable to see the pictures.

Maybe this will work:

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:11 pm

There is no polite way to say this - AVOID!!! Nothing about that guitar is Tokai. The huge body rout will affect the sound, as will the thin & cheap trem block. God knows what the electrics are, but they are nothing like any Tokai - the pickups look like some sort of ceramic type.

Just avoid it - walk away. If you bought it as a Tokai, get your money back - you have been conned. You can get much better guitars than that - any real Tokai, for example.