My new Love Rock II

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
My new love rock II in quilt top blue! Beautiful color.... :D

dsc07870m.jpg

By detroitace at 2010-05-05

dsc07871r.jpg

By detroitace at 2010-05-05

It's 9.5 lbs, heavier than I expected. But, it sounds really nice in the little time I've had to play it. It's not an SEB model, nor are the pots push-pull.
I'd like more flexibility in the pickup options and may be adding something along those lines at some point. The neck is wide and flat, fairly substantial but no 59 style. I'm thinking it's like a yamaha SG1000 or something, but I've never played one.

Thanks for looking!

detroitace said:
I'm thinking it's like a yamaha SG1000 or something, but I've never played one.

They are clones on Yamaha's MSG as designed by Martin Booth

Check out this site for more info

http://www.yamahamsg.net/

I have the prototype Tokai Love Rock II that was sent to Guitarist magazine for them to review and it was displayed at the Frankfurt Guitar Show in 2002. A really good all round guitar.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5555&highlight=love+rock

Hope you like yours, lovely colour

Regards

Chris

They are clones on Yamaha's MSG as designed by Martin Booth

Excellent! Thanks for the links. That's exactly what mine is like, although the knobs are in a different spot.

I absolutely love the guitar. The only thing I wasn't ready for was the weight .. around 9.75 lbs. I just need a wider strap, I guess. ;)

-- Ace

Hello,

Here are some pics from inside the pickup cavities. The pickups have no markings on them. They do have braided wire, which is cool and they sound good; I'm just surprised there's no sticker on them even. They're supposed to be MK-2's, I think, made by Keiyo?.

The tenon is very long, I think the longest in my collection (edwards lp, diodati: tokai ls-70's, Gibbo SGs, etc.). The pickup screws are very small and shorter than expected, but they hold things tightly.

I filed the nut slots a little before putting new strings on -- things were catching a little. I didn't get to see if the pickups were 4-wire or not, but I can check later in the back cavity, which has ample room to put switches in for splitting the pickups like they used to do with this model.

Neck tenon
dsc07885r.jpg

By detroitace at 2010-05-14

Bridge pickup
dsc07886t.jpg

Neck pickup
dsc07883u.jpg

Gotoh bridge and tailpiece:
dsc07881d.jpg