Strat V Tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornelius bonobo

Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix famously once said 'The Telecaster only has 2 sounds.......... and both of them are bad.'

Discuss.

Points will be awarded for style and aggression of arguments.

Having owned and played many Strats from MIJ and Squire to US, the Strat is a far more versatile Guitar, but after playing my newly aquired Breezy TE80, there is something about the 'in-between' sound that is uniquely Telecaster - I love both guitars ...

Andy

8)

i love teles, and despise strat. in fact, i think they're the most overrated guitars in the history of the electric. thin, hollow, no balls at all, even with a mini hb in the bridge. every strat i've owned i've sold in a matter of weeks. they just don't do it for me at all.

teles on the other hand, are one of my favorite guitars, although I'm quite picky with them. I'll only play fender mij drop top bridge teles. they sound fatter than any other tele I've played. teles are all tone....and hendrix was wrong, they have 3 sounds.
anyway, I mod my tele's with an SD lil 59er at the bridge to give more of a p90 feel. with this combo, it fits me perfectly.

Gee, you know, Jimmy Page got a pretty amazing sound out of a Tele on Led Zep I ..... (YES it was a Tele on many of the tracks).

Jeff Beck used one as well ..........

http://www.knightbilham.com/jeffbeck2.html

I love Strats, but I can't imagine Hendrix sounding like "Jimi" on a Tele .......

That's my $.02.
Cheers!
Rob

I've got to be honest, I love Teles too. Well actually I love the Tele bridge pickup, the neck pickup I can live without. Which I suppose technically means that I love the Esquire (but I'll never be able to afford one of those).
Truth is, even the Tele custom like Keef plays doesn't do it for me. I just don't like humbuckers (there I said it). I Tele with a strat p/up in the neck, or better yet a P90, sounds like almost the perfect guitar.
Can anybody give offer me some practical advice as to what to do with a tele neck pickup. It's just too small to be an effective water feature or plant pot in the garden, so all ideas are welcome.

Oi London Barry,

Is the tele junior the custom shop job which is mahogany with a mahogany set neck and P90s. Does it have stop tail piece? Is it basically a les paul junior in Tele clothing?
Mmmmmmmmmmm, Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
I built my own LP special type guitar which one day I might get round to taking pics of. Nasty to play but nice to listen to. (I never got the hang of chamfering the fret ends.)

Hey Barry,
You should get out of London more!
If you ever get North of the river then head out essex way to Peach Ideas (ads in various mags). They currently have a Tele junior there in either daphne blue or a sort of ice blue colour (I can't remember). Also loads of other custom shop stuff, like a tele sonic (another one for the purists) Rory Galagher tribute Strat, Jimi Monterey Strat, Jaco Bass.......... just loads. It's like walking in to wonderland! I don't work there or anything but I seem to spend quite a bit of time there.
Unfortunately they're not like you're average guitar shop, where if you ask to try something out they act like it's a massive problem, so if you ask to try a Squire Strat they let you play a custom shop Strat as well, and you realise where the differences are.
I bought my Taylor that way (although to be fair I was warned that I might like it)!
Happy shopping.

Remember one thing here,- it's all a matter of personal taste and playing style. There is a huge difference between "sound" and "tone", tone is the sum of everything you've adapted through the years; Touch, vibrato, rhythmic frasing and so on. Therefore there is no "best" guitar,- bottom line is; Whatever makes you sound like "you" is the best guitar for you (at least at that stage in your development as a guitarist).
So don't limit yourself - get curious and try out whatever fascinates you, getting your tone together is a life long process.
Don't know if this actually has anything to do with this topic, I just had to get it off my chest. :D

Take care!

Oi Gregert,
What kind of girls school did you go to? What's all this namby pamby 'the best guitar is the one that's right for you'? The best guitar is the one that you play, and everybody else is wrong. It doesn't matter who you are or what you play, as far as I'm concerned you're all wrong even if you agree with me!
Come on, who wants a fight?

Barry,
Definitely do it, but make sure you get directions because Peach is a bit out in the sticks.
Am I the only person who feels guilty if they go into a shop without buying anything? It's even worse if you try something out.
I've got far more strings, picks, gorilla snot, fast fret, patch leads and stuff than I could ever use in a lifetime. It's just that I feel if they've spent the time showing me stuff I owe them a sale of some sort, and so I buy something of minimal value (or put a post on a bulletin board persuading all and sundry to go there).
It's still worth it though.

Well Cornelius,- I think you got me a little wrong, I actually DO agree with you...... :wink: Maybe I got a little carried away, I've just seen too many forumdiscussions on "who's the best guitarist/what's the best DAW - Nuendo or ProTools/is PC's better than Mac's/blablabla" that I just tried to state that's whatever works for you is what is right for you.
I really can't see what's the problem with that?

Next time I'll try not to sound that serious, dangerous stuff indeed....

Sorry Gregert,
I was just pullin' your plums mate. 'aving a bit of a joke like. Sometimes I drink just a little bit too much Tizer and the sugar goes to my head. Don't take it too seriously, I don't mean it.
P.S I'm actually a vegetarian (although I do eat fish so that makes me technically a demi-veg these days).

No harm done, and believe it or not,- even Norwegians can have a sense of humor (well... maybe not all the time, but...... you know, it DOES happen...... now and then).
To get back to your original question,- I love tele's for their "bite" but doing mostly studio work these days I prefer strat's for their versatility.
But a good tele would be nice, not to mention a firebird, and an es 335, and....... You see none of the rich girls at my girlschool would marry me, so here I am........

Take care!
Gregert

For what it's worth I think that the Tele is the ultimate plug in and go, no ******** guitar. Just some wood, some magnets and six strings. You can play chords, and stuff on it. Do you actually need any more than that?

Gregert you naughty boy, are you propositioning me? Just cos none of the girls at your school would marry you don't start getting fresh with me.

:oops:

eeh....nimenimenim........**** i hope my wife doesn't see this.......
as i said, none of the RICH girls would marry me...........but on the other hand.......ouch! wrong word again........

8)

Back