Springy or Goldstar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratmann

Reaction score
What would you all say which guitar is more desireable as a player and as a collectors item? I want to buy a Tokai Strat but I'm nut sure what to look for. I recognized that the Springys are more rare in comparison to Goldstars.

Is there a certain timeline where the guitars were best? Is 1978 better than a 1982 or vice versa from a collectors/players view?

I read a lot in this fine forum but I don't get the right idea. Can somebody help out with a little briefing?

Thanks to all!

The first thing to do is read this:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/Andrew%20Munro%20Article-July2008.pdf

Excellent article.

As a player, a 1982 Springy ST50 is essentially identical to a 1983/4/5 Goldstar ST50. Springys tend to sell for more because:

The decal is cheekier, & you gotta love their nerve haven't you?

There aren't as many Springys around, Goldstars were fairly common in the UK around 83 to 86/7, something like that. I'm not sure how they were distributed in Germany, if at all.

Snob value - people think they are better when they probably aren't.

On the other hand there are more Goldies available in custom colours, a higher proportion of Springys seem to me to be Sunburst.

I think that's it in a few words really. A Springy will cost you more & will probably sell for more if you sell it later. But a Goldstar is probably just the same guitar, as long as it's the same model (ST40, ST50 etc.).

I love my Goldies. 8)

Latest posts

Back