anyone know for sure if the LS-320 has a bone nut?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tell-tale visual characteristic that sets a bone nut apart from a synthetic material such as plastic, TUSQ, etc., is porosity.
You won?t find porosity in plastic, or in TUSQ nut material.

Porosity in bone is naturally occurring, and will naturally vary from sample to sample.

The nut on my 2000 Tokai LS-320 is definitely bone, as it does have the characteristic porosity associated with bone :)

Neanderthal as this sounds, you can also tell the difference by gnawing on the corner of the nut with your front teeth - there's no mistaking bone from other nut material.

marcusnieman said:
Neanderthal as this sounds, you can also tell the difference by gnawing on the corner of the nut with your front teeth - there's no mistaking bone from other nut material.

I must say, I've never had that thought cross my mind :p

hey Marcus, I know some really great dentists there in Dallas :lol: .................

MIJvintage said:
marcusnieman said:

I must say, I've never had that thought cross my mind :p

hey Marcus, I know some really great dentists there in Dallas :lol: .................

LOL..... my dentist loves me

Bout 5 years ago, we were tearing down after a gig and I was about 5ft away from the PA speaker on it's stand and I was trying to yank the cable out from where I was because there was stuff in the way.

Well, I did yank it out after a couple solid pulls and the jack hit me right in the front tooth and broke it about in half - looked just like Alfred E Newman of Mad Magazine:

http://www.leconcombre.com/concpost/us/postcard4/alfred_e_neuman.jpg

They were able to patch it up without a crown but I'm one episode away from a crown.

Smell it. :)

Seriously, it smells similar to when you file Ivory...one little file on the nut and you can smell it's bone.

For those who are 'nerdy' about specs, I wonder if there's mongrel and pedigree bone nuts ;)

What difference does it make? Apart from being a source of spare food, of course.

:eek:

Mike

I have never noticed a big difference if the nut is properly cut..

but a client of mine wanted to know if the LS-320 Goldtop of mine had a bone nut, as he prefers that, I didn't know for sure, so where better to ask...

also I was not really sure how to tell if the nut was bone or tusq etc .. and thats some useful info that I didnt know before..

so once again thanks to all that contributed to this thread..

stratman323 said:
What difference does it make? Apart from being a source of spare food, of course.

:eek:

Mike

I would say that bone is preferable to plastic as a nut material. Certainly looks and feels far nicer than plastic but soundwise I would struggle to hear a difference. I just think that the material at the two points that a string is anchored by/rests on must make a difference somehow...

Anyone else got a view here?

Best regards,
Darren

Back