ES 335 clone

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygkn

Reaction score
Hi,
What is the best sounding ES 335 clone?
Also what sort of price should I be looking at?

My guess is that Tokai do make a good value great sounding clone but what is it and where is it from?

Any feedback most welcome.

garygkn said:
My guess is that Tokai do make a good value great sounding clone but what is it and where is it from?

Welcome. You need to do some reading my friend - there is a wealth of info on this forum and far TOO much to even attempt to answer such a vague and far reaching question.

Do a forum search for ES, ES100, ES120, etc and familiarize yourself a bit. Once you narrow down your search, then it'll be easier to offer helpful info to your specific quesitons.

You also need to give us an idea of your budget too. The Japanese ones tend to be best, but if your budget won't stretch to one of those, we need to look at the Korean & Chinese models.

I posted a reply last night on the topic of semi guitars. Post subject: Tokai ES60 vs Epiphone Dot
I believe Quality is paramount to this type of guitar.
So again, I strongly suggest you avoid recently made:
1. Epi Dot's including Sheratons,BBkings, etc.
2. Lower end Gretsch models like G5122.
3. All Hagstrom Viking models.
The above mentioned guitars are not inexpensive, but they are surely junk.

Now to answer the questions (which I'm not afraid to do).
What is the best sounding ES 335 clone?...
Which one should i get?...
Try an Edwards.
There that wasn't hard at all. I'll say it again... Edwards! Treat yourself, you'll be glad you did. Or buy a mid/upper level Tokai, or Ibanez.
Why? Because ... Quality is paramount to this type of guitar.

I have hankered after an actual ES 335 for a long time. I am happy with the guitars I have. Mainly 2 Strats and a Tele and an acoustic Epiphone Blues Master. The rich smooth tone of the 335 is still a draw. I need to get rid of a Traynor 40 valve amp, a Westbury Deluxe and a Sessionette. When I have sold these items I would re invest all funds into a 355 type guitar not sure how much that lot might net? May have to supplement it a bit not sure? An Epiphone Sheraton caught my eye it is an older model from the mid 80's Korean built with tone woods 350 GBP (pound symbol is not working or I can't locate it). But I remembered when I was at school I bought a Tokai Strat this was in the mid 80's it was a good guitar and I only sold it later on as I had a US 80's Fender and wanted an Eric Johnson. At the time of buying the Tokai I was torn between saving a bit more and buying a Tokai 335 clone all the reviews at the time were impressive and I think I should have gone with the 335 clone as I doubt if I would have ever sold it on. Which is the stage I am at today. I am going to take the advice and read through the archives on the related guitars that Tokai have built. I suppose ideally I should really be aiming for a Japanese model to future proof it from upgrading later on.

Okay is there a big difference between old MIJ builds of these guitars and more recent MIJ builds?

Done a bit of reading not sure what the difference is between a 120 and a 130?

Also which guitars came with a nitro finish?
Strats are preferred in a nitro finish is this the same for a 335 clone?

last thing what are Wilkinson pick ups? Good?

"Done a bit of reading not sure what the difference is between a 120 and a 130?"

IIRC, there isn't anything technicaly different between the two models except the price. The numbers represent the selling price in thousand yen (120,000 vs 130,000). When the model increased in cost Tokai changed the model number. I am going by memory so someone will need to confirm if my statement is accurate.

Thanks for that .

I think I would be looking at a Japanese ES 120 or 130 perhaps an ES 100 although I am not exactly sure what this model is other than a 335 clone.

Are the older ones a better bet than the newer ones?

Also how would an 80's Korean Epiphone Sheraton hold up to one of these guitars?

garygkn said:
Are the older ones a better bet than the newer ones?

Generally speaking, no. Although some of us prefer older guitars, there hasn't been a quality drop with the MIJ Tokais. The differences between the MIJ models are largely cosmetic, though they do copy different models. For example, mine (a 2007 ES130) is a copy of a 1959 dot neck 335, other models were copies of a later 335 with block inlays.

IMG_0176.jpg

There was a slightly cheaper model than mine (I think) that didn't have the flamed maple finish. The higher level models have a nitro finish - mine has a nitro top coat over poly base coats. To be honest it doesn't feel much different to the all poly finish on my LS70

BNR said:
The numbers represent the selling price in thousand yen (120,000 vs 130,000). When the model increased in cost Tokai changed the model number. I am going by memory so someone will need to confirm if my statement is accurate.

Correct, it's an absurd numbering system. It worked fine in the 80s when Japan had inflation of practically zero %, it's a real pain now. As we've said before, nice guitars, shame about the model numbers. :-?

They certainly have the looks and more importantly from what I am hearing they also have the sound.

How much would a used ES120 from the 80's or 90' compare in price to a more recently built MIJ model?

Also would it be better to buy new?

I would be looking at buying in the UK.

Were some guitars a pure nitro finish? Or were the nitro guitars a mix of poly and then nitro?

If you want a new one, Richtone have a new ES130 (like mine) for ?999.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270492148187&_trksid=e11010.m204&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D8&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1348

If you're prepared to be patient, they do come up secondhand on eBay (or on here) now and again.

Thanks Stratman, I am prepared to be patient, it will give me time to raise the cash.

I love my 2007 MIJ ES 120...it outshines the 1997 Gibby 335 I owned and is easily on par with the mid 60s 335 I owned....

102_2638.jpg

Let me try some maths here. :)

I'll be trying/playing these in a few weeks...can't wait.

ES135 (catalog #23) which = an ES155 catalog 25 (inlays) - flamed
ES155 (catalog #23) which = an ES185 catalog 25 (dot) - Honduras - flamed
ES142G - which as far as I can tell didn't exist up until catalog #25 (dot) - Black with Gold Hardware
Thankfully an ES60 is still an ES60...with dots.

The inlay model is...
catalog # 23 - ES135
catalog # 24 - ES150
catalog # 25 - ES160

Try explaining this to a music store...if you dare...they'll have you removed in a straight jacket. :)

Special K said:
stratman ... one fine guitar you post!

Thanks to the forum. :wink: It was a bit weird actually, I've always loved the natural/dot neck look since seeing Dave Edmunds play his '59. So I collected mine from the forum member who was selling it, & set of for the one hour drive home. I switched on the radio, & an interview with Dave Edmunds was just starting! Creepy... :eek:

I have seen a couple of MIJ ESs sell for surprisingly cheap prices on eBay in the last few months - around the ?600 mark, from memory. So this could well be a good chance to pick up a secondhand bargain, while the market is screwed up.

Back