Newbie needs your advice. Korean or Chinese?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

Special K
Guitar God

Post by Special K » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Who post this sale?
lets see that ID.

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:04 pm

marcusnieman wrote:Greetings to the forum and good on you for checking before you buy.

Not sure about this one. The headstock profile doesn't look right to me. Also, it has a 2 screw Gibson trussrod cover on it. The Korean (and Chinese?) versions have 3 screw TRC's. You can't put a two screw Gibby TRC on it, have it fit right or conceal the two other holes along side the nut.

Again, I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps someone else will pipe up.
Thanks for your response marcusnieman! I did notice the Gibson trussrod cover as well since based on my research online, this is the only Tokai I've seen with a trussrod cover like this or maybe he replaced the stock one but that I do not know for sure..

Thanks again for your input and I hope to learn from others as well =)
平和、愛、ロックンロール

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Ozeshin wrote:I would have said Korean but like Marcus the TRC is a worry and the blank pickups as well...no sticker or markings at all...also...the Tokai logo script is VERY close to the top of the headstock :o
I DO think it's Korean built....just doubtful as to whether it's a Tokai or not.
You're right Ozeshin. I do also think this is Korean but when I saw photos online of the backside of Korean pups, they usually have stickers/markings on them.

Thank you for pointing out the "closeness" of the Tokai Logo on the headstock.. Now that you mentioned it, this appears to be a "Fakai"..

Thanks again for your insights, I hope someone could verify this since this AD ends in 6 hrs from now and I just want to be sure before anything else.
平和、愛、ロックンロール

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:12 pm

leadguitar_323 wrote:It has the bridge post inserts so it is Korean but something is just no right with the headstock. See if you can take the truss rod cover off and tell us what you see or post the pics..

Mick
The guitar is not with me. I just took the pics from the sellers link of his pics. This AD ends in 6 hrs. I doubt if I could ask for a pic of the headstock with the trussrod cover off but I'll try requesting that from the seller.

Thanks for the tip leadguitar =)
平和、愛、ロックンロール

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey guys!

I did more research on this and it appears to be Korean-made. The headstock apparently is the newer style just as what this has. As some have mentioned.. the giveaway is the studs for the bridge.

Also contacted others for feedback and it turns out that seller is a legit seller for guitars, and the one that has responded has dealt with him on numerous times. Upon checking his other items, all seemed authentic Japanese guitars. Btw the seller is from Japan as well. But I still need more confirmation if this is truly Korean and not a Chinese knock-off with a Agathis body.

If anyone could share more info on this Tokai Goldtop, validation and insights would be truly be appreciated.

I have one more day before the AD ends. Hope to learn more from what everybody can share. =)
平和、愛、ロックンロール

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 pm

The Chinese ones are basswood the earlier Korean ones were alder, agathis would be closer to Mahogany than the other 2 wood types. If you are after a mahogany Tokai, look at the lower end Japanese models, they are much better guitars and have the correct build specs..

Mick
so many guitars....so little money...

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 am

leadguitar_323 wrote:The Chinese ones are basswood the earlier Korean ones were alder, agathis would be closer to Mahogany than the other 2 wood types. If you are after a mahogany Tokai, look at the lower end Japanese models, they are much better guitars and have the correct build specs..

Mick
Thanks for your response Mick!

You're absolutely right. I always thought that Korean Tokais also used the standard Mahogany + Maple top for the body. Yes, I am after a mahogany LP and since this isn't, now I won't even bother. Now I can sleep.

Many thanks again for your insight and best regards =)

Rob
平和、愛、ロックンロール

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 am

I thought the Chinese Tokais were agathis? It's true that the Korean ones are alder body & set maple neck, but they do seem to be good guitars. The friend who bought mine loves it & uses it as his regular gigging guitar, leaving his Gibson at home.

But personally, I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 am

stratman323 wrote:I thought the Chinese Tokais were agathis? It's true that the Korean ones are alder body & set maple neck, but they do seem to be good guitars. The friend who bought mine loves it & uses it as his regular gigging guitar, leaving his Gibson at home.

But personally, I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike
Thanks for the confirmation on this Mike! Big help here. I totally get you, I originally was going for an MIJ Tokai but I stumbled upon this and I just wanted to double-check since I was not familiar with Korean Tokais.

But now that you mentioned that your friend is having fun with it despite him having a Gibson makes me think twice about again.

Thanks again for your insight and best regards =)

Rob
平和、愛、ロックンロール

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:24 am

Put it this way, in the UK a Korean LS48 would sell for around ?200 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. An entry-level MIJ (LS70? LS80?) would probably cost ?350 to ?400 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. If you have the extra money, get a Japanese one. If you don't, a Korean one should be a good guitar - mine was.

OuttaspaceMan
I only know 3 chords

Post by OuttaspaceMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:38 pm

stratman323 wrote:Put it this way, in the UK a Korean LS48 would sell for around ?200 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. An entry-level MIJ (LS70? LS80?) would probably cost ?350 to ?400 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. If you have the extra money, get a Japanese one. If you don't, a Korean one should be a good guitar - mine was.
This Goldtop actually goes for ?270. Now that you mentioned it, I feel the tag on this one is pretty steep. You're right, with a little more I can definitely go for an MIJ copy instead. But the thing is, I'm pretty dead set on getting a Goldtop and I find it a bit difficult to seek for a Goldtop in MIJ brands such as Burny, Greco, Grassroots, National, Aria Pro, Edwards, etc. If I do spot a MIJ Tokai Goldtop, it's the one with P90s.

For now looks like I'll pass on this Korean goldtop. At the end of the day, I can't trust all of the imports coming from China and Korea since there is too many forgeries, and some of them are pretty damn good knock offs. You probably were lucky to have a good Korean Tokai.

Btw did your Korean LP come with a serial number with markings behind the headstock and in the pups?

Rob
平和、愛、ロックンロール

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:54 pm

stratman323 wrote: I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike
I agree 100%....They are ridiculous bargains.
Last edited by Diamond on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 pm

OuttaspaceMan wrote:
stratman323 wrote:Put it this way, in the UK a Korean LS48 would sell for around ?200 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. An entry-level MIJ (LS70? LS80?) would probably cost ?350 to ?400 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. If you have the extra money, get a Japanese one. If you don't, a Korean one should be a good guitar - mine was.
This Goldtop actually goes for ?270. Now that you mentioned it, I feel the tag on this one is pretty steep. You're right, with a little more I can definitely go for an MIJ copy instead. But the thing is, I'm pretty dead set on getting a Goldtop and I find it a bit difficult to seek for a Goldtop in MIJ brands such as Burny, Greco, Grassroots, National, Aria Pro, Edwards, etc. If I do spot a MIJ Tokai Goldtop, it's the one with P90s.

For now looks like I'll pass on this Korean goldtop. At the end of the day, I can't trust all of the imports coming from China and Korea since there is too many forgeries, and some of them are pretty damn good knock offs. You probably were lucky to have a good Korean Tokai.

Btw did your Korean LP come with a serial number with markings behind the headstock and in the pups?

Rob
LS75/85 Gold Top, last guitar you'll ever need.

Goestoeleven
Guitar God

Post by Goestoeleven » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Seconded. :D

Rob, save your money mate. Scrape together a bit more dosh and buy a Made In Japan. You won't regret it I swear.

I bought my 2004 LS75F (Now an LS90F I think?) for ?330 including case, and it's mint. It's a wonderful guitar to play and I never get tired of picking it up. I'd never sell it.

There are bargains to be had, if you're patient, careful, and you ask questions before bidding.

Good Luck!

Graham.
"My guitar is definitely a P**** extension. I play with it behind locked doors for my own amusement"

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:14 pm

OuttaspaceMan wrote:This Goldtop actually goes for ?270. Now that you mentioned it, I feel the tag on this one is pretty steep. You're right, with a little more I can definitely go for an MIJ copy instead. But the thing is, I'm pretty dead set on getting a Goldtop and I find it a bit difficult to seek for a Goldtop in MIJ brands such as Burny, Greco, Grassroots, National, Aria Pro, Edwards, etc. If I do spot a MIJ Tokai Goldtop, it's the one with P90s.

Rob
No serial number, which I believe was quite common.

And the money from that went towards the LS70 GT that showed up on eBay earlier this year. They do show up if you're patient. And it's a great Les Paul, simple as that.