Newbie needs your advice. Korean or Chinese?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OuttaspaceMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here, and I've really looked up to this site since rarely any fighting or disrespect goes on here. I valued the insightful comments and suggestions whenever I browse this site. And now.. I finally found a Tokai online and I'm considering on pulling the trigger on my 1st Tokai but I decided to post this to seek for your inputs before anything else.

So here goes. I saw this Tokai Love Rock Standard Goldtop posted online and according to the seller, it's Korean-made. He said he can't tell for sure on what type of wood used and most probably it's the standard mahogany with maple top. Here's the description on his ad:

"This guitar weighs 4.25 kilos has no serial number so was probably Made in Korea for the domestic japanese market.

In excellent used condition. (see pics) The front is clean with justa couple of tiny marks. The back has some scratches and a couple of small chips but nothing major. The back of neck has a number of small dinks/chips but nothing noticeable when played and the headstock has a couple of small chips. The original hardware is in excellent order and all working well. The electrics are original and working fine. The fretboard is fine with the frets showing minimal wear. Its playing nicely and includes a gigbag."

I have no expertise in determining whether if it's Korean or China made.. And as much as I would like to own the MIJ ones since they're the one with quality and legacy, at the moment my budget works really well with the price of a Korean made and the last thing I want to end up with a Chinese Tokai. I hope to gain new friends who share the same love for Tokai guitars or just guitars for that matter and I hope to learn from what everyone can share.

Thanks and best regards to all! =)

Rob

Here are the pics:

TokaiLPSGoldtop4599.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

Greetings to the forum and good on you for checking before you buy.

Not sure about this one. The headstock profile doesn't look right to me. Also, it has a 2 screw Gibson trussrod cover on it. The Korean (and Chinese?) versions have 3 screw TRC's. You can't put a two screw Gibby TRC on it, have it fit right or conceal the two other holes along side the nut.

Again, I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps someone else will pipe up.

I would have said Korean but like Marcus the TRC is a worry and the blank pickups as well...no sticker or markings at all...also...the Tokai logo script is VERY close to the top of the headstock :eek:
I DO think it's Korean built....just doubtful as to whether it's a Tokai or not.

It has the bridge post inserts so it is Korean but something is just no right with the headstock. See if you can take the truss rod cover off and tell us what you see or post the pics..

Mick

marcusnieman said:
Greetings to the forum and good on you for checking before you buy.

Not sure about this one. The headstock profile doesn't look right to me. Also, it has a 2 screw Gibson trussrod cover on it. The Korean (and Chinese?) versions have 3 screw TRC's. You can't put a two screw Gibby TRC on it, have it fit right or conceal the two other holes along side the nut.

Again, I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps someone else will pipe up.

Thanks for your response marcusnieman! I did notice the Gibson trussrod cover as well since based on my research online, this is the only Tokai I've seen with a trussrod cover like this or maybe he replaced the stock one but that I do not know for sure..

Thanks again for your input and I hope to learn from others as well =)

Ozeshin said:
I would have said Korean but like Marcus the TRC is a worry and the blank pickups as well...no sticker or markings at all...also...the Tokai logo script is VERY close to the top of the headstock :eek:
I DO think it's Korean built....just doubtful as to whether it's a Tokai or not.

You're right Ozeshin. I do also think this is Korean but when I saw photos online of the backside of Korean pups, they usually have stickers/markings on them.

Thank you for pointing out the "closeness" of the Tokai Logo on the headstock.. Now that you mentioned it, this appears to be a "Fakai"..

Thanks again for your insights, I hope someone could verify this since this AD ends in 6 hrs from now and I just want to be sure before anything else.

leadguitar_323 said:
It has the bridge post inserts so it is Korean but something is just no right with the headstock. See if you can take the truss rod cover off and tell us what you see or post the pics..

Mick

The guitar is not with me. I just took the pics from the sellers link of his pics. This AD ends in 6 hrs. I doubt if I could ask for a pic of the headstock with the trussrod cover off but I'll try requesting that from the seller.

Thanks for the tip leadguitar =)

Hey guys!

I did more research on this and it appears to be Korean-made. The headstock apparently is the newer style just as what this has. As some have mentioned.. the giveaway is the studs for the bridge.

Also contacted others for feedback and it turns out that seller is a legit seller for guitars, and the one that has responded has dealt with him on numerous times. Upon checking his other items, all seemed authentic Japanese guitars. Btw the seller is from Japan as well. But I still need more confirmation if this is truly Korean and not a Chinese knock-off with a Agathis body.

If anyone could share more info on this Tokai Goldtop, validation and insights would be truly be appreciated.

I have one more day before the AD ends. Hope to learn more from what everybody can share. =)

Latest posts

Back