LP clones - Tokai, vs. Epi Elitist vs. Edwards vs. Greco?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

jzucker

LP clones - Tokai, vs. Epi Elitist vs. Edwards vs. Greco?

Post by jzucker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am

thoughts?

Elios
Plucker

Post by Elios » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 am

that depends :D

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 am

Never played an EPI Elitist.

Love Greco Les Pauls but they are too heavy for me.

Have 4 Tokai Les Pauls (Reborn, LS150 and two P90 Goldtops). Superb. All of them. The LS150 is easily at par or above with Gibson's VOS R8 or R9 models - for about half the price.

Have an Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul. Without a doubt, one of the best Les Pauls I've ever owned - from both a construction and tone standpoint. The icing on the cake is that it weighs in at an amazing 7.25 lbs - NON weight relieved.

Elios
Plucker

Post by Elios » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 am

And what about Orville?
They're said to be very good. Especially considering the fact that it is just japanese Gibson branch)

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 am

the 2 edwards LPs I've had didn't have the fatness/sustain of a "real" LP whereas the epi elitist and tokai did...

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am

Elios wrote:And what about Orville?
They're said to be very good. Especially considering the fact that it is just japanese Gibson branch)
I couldn't fit orville onto the subject line! ;)

JVsearch
Guitar God

Post by JVsearch » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:53 am

Jz, are you meaning vintage Grecos? That could have a bearing on the comparisons as the other 3 are pretty easy to get new or newish.

Also, does it have to be an exact clone? If not, the Bacchus Duke may be another option. Admittedly I have one of these which is a 1956 type Gold Top with P90s, and I think it's a brilliant guitar. There's also the Bacchus Vintage Series which are clones, but they are not all that common any more, and the prices will approach the cost of a second hand R8 in the US at the moment. :(

I would put the Bacchus Duke/Vintage Series and Tokai LS-150 on the same level as a Gibson Historic. The one spec they lack compared to Historics is a pure lacquer finish - only the top coat is lacquer, although Gibson are now mixing a lot of plasticisers into their nitro so this isn't so important. Vintage Grecos are said to be great, but you got to pay big money for one that doesn't have a veneered top. For me, it's got to be the original recipe, and that also means at least 8.5 lbs in weight, unless it is chambered and I'm buying it as a chambered guitar. Of course a veneered top, or nitro has virtually no effect on the tone of the guitar!

BTW - everybody should check out this guy's (Jz) Youtube pedal demos. He has done some great ones, and given a lot back to the guitar playing community through his efforts. Cheers! :)
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

mark1982
I only know 3 chords

Post by mark1982 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 am

I like a LP to have some weight to it.

If i pick one up and i think Christ thats heavy then that the start of a great LP. Light LP's (to me) is just wrong and shows a sign of cheapness.

if you want a light guitar buy a strat lol ( i dont like some Gibson LP's as there too light)

So any copy if its got some weight to it its the start of a good copy. But then it has to deliver on tone, build quality, and price.

But when it comes to price, it has to be at a price thats worth buying.
As in no point paying ?1500 + for a Gibson LP copy. as you may as well buy a Gibson.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 am

mark1982 wrote:I like a LP to have some weight to it.

If i pick one up and i think Christ thats heavy then that the start of a great LP. Light LP's (to me) is just wrong and shows a sign of cheapness.

if you want a light guitar buy a strat lol ( i dont like some Gibson LP's as there too light)

So any copy if its got some weight to it its the start of a good copy. But then it has to deliver on tone, build quality, and price.

As in no point paying ?1500 + for a Gibson LP copy. as you may as well buy a Gibson.
To each his own.... a Les Paul doesn't have to be a boat anchor to be a superb guitar. :roll:

To me, a 4 hour gig with an 11lb piece of furniture strapped on me is torture. If you're a sit down or recreational player, no biggie.... but I've learned to appreciate a lighter Les Paul if I'm gigging with it.

mark1982
I only know 3 chords

Post by mark1982 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 am

marcusnieman wrote:

To each his own.... a Les Paul doesn't have to be a boat anchor to be a superb guitar. :roll:

To me, a 4 hour gig with an 11lb piece of furniture strapped on me is torture. If you're a sit down or recreational player, no biggie.... but I've learned to appreciate a lighter Les Paul if I'm gigging with it.
granted as with everything in life each to there own.

Maybe when i am older i may want to start thinking about a lighter guitar.
But for now its not affecting me but then again i am only doing 2 1/2 hour gigs twice a week. I dont think i could do 4 hours on stage we may have the songs for it but i dont think my fittness would be up to it. Far to much jumping and rocking out. LOL

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:21 am

Rock it, man.... rock it!

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 pm

why?

RyanC
Guitar God

Post by RyanC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:53 pm

villager wrote:

why?
+1,000,000

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm

RyanC wrote:
villager wrote:

why?
+1,000,000
Why? Resale value. As much as I dislike Gibson, the market is 1,000,000x bigger than for tokai.

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

mark1982 wrote: But when it comes to price, it has to be at a price thats worth buying.
For ?1500 you get a Gibson Les Paul Standard, the equivalent of a Tokai LS85/90/95/100.
For ?1500 you get a LS150, the equivalent of a Gibson R8/9 Historic....miles beyond a Les Paul Standard.

In 1977 Tokais were copies, today they're replicas, they have a reputation that's taken 40 years to establish...I'd hardly call that a copy.