Could you help me identify my Tokai Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcine

Reaction score
Hey,

I have had this guitar for quite a long time. My estimation is that I bought it somewhere between -98 and -02. I bought it from shop and it was new.

It does not have any valid markings on it. No model, serial number, made in text or anything. There is hand written "2" in one pickup cavity.

I have changed the pickups to gibson ones. One of the original pickups have test "SAM SUNG" on the bottom. Other does not have any text on it. It has had somekind of tag on the back. Not sure if it was the price tag or not .

So I am quite confuced that where this has been made and what model this is. Could you help me with this ?

It seems to be 2 piece top and back.

http://www.gfoto.com/UserAlbum.asp?uid=07BCDF6C1079460C8520506B5CCF35A3&alid=217193

- McIne -

It looks like someone has painted over the existing finish in gold, I can see some flame coming through. I assume the photo isn't displaying the true colour very well?

Looks to me like a Korean Love Rock with the truss rod cover changed, if there were originally 3 screws for the truss rod cover then that's an indication.

The cavity covers are white - Japanese models have black covers.

I would say it's an ALS-48 model, which would be alder body with veneer flame and a maple neck. We'll see what the more knowledgeable people think.

EDIT: How much did you pay for it?

I bought it from finland.

I used my phone which has bad camera. The color is quite close to this: http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Tokai%20Loverock%20120%20HB.jpg . I don't think it has been painted over, by looking at the cavities.

There is no extra screw holes when you remove the truss rod cover. Seems to be original.

I think I paid around 3000 FIM for it. But not sure how to convert old currency 8). Currently it would be around 500EUR or $600 or so. But guitars are quite expensive here (in shops anyway). Would not be surpriced it if has been fex $350 quitar in USA.

Thanks for the quick answers!

Looking at the historical rates it would have equated to around ?300, which isn't over the odds so you haven't spent more than you should.

The Korean models have Nashville bridges too IIRC

Back