LS150F or what?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

Reaction score
Hi, could some knowledgeable Tokai expert ID this guitar for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5xsDFsIXU

The guy who owns it seems to be unsure what model it really is and which pickups he is using on it.

He says it's an LS150F with the MkII pups, but some others reckon it's an LS135 (or similar), other say it has Goto Custom PAFs, and others say the LS150 doesn't come with a flame maple cap.

So, just what model and pups is he playing exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Geo.

IMO

It's an LS135F, with MK2 pickups.

He's assuming that the LS135F he bought a year ago is now an LS150F...not true, an LS135 is now an LS150, but the LS135F is still an LS135F.

Both guitars, the LS135F and the LS150 come with MK2 pickups....and don't bother changing them, you'll just be wasting money.

My suggestion, if moneys a problem then buy an LS95F, it will look, sound, and play exactly like an LS135F...and it also has MK2 pickups.

Make sense? :)

There were some LS150 models with flame tops available in the UK.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/tokai-love-rock-ls150-electric-guitar-heritage-dark-cherry-48.html

Dave

DaveWW said:
There were some LS150 models with flame tops available in the UK.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/tokai-love-rock-ls150-electric-guitar-heritage-dark-cherry-48.html

Dave

The Richtone ones had dimpled headstocks

Does the colour of the guitar in the video look familiar? Is it a sunburst like AV or Cherry?

Geo ALL LS-150,s have MK'2 pickups and the colour is either Violin finish , cherry sunburst or lemon drop for the 135 F or Violin finish cherry sunburst Brown sunburst or gold top for the current LS-150.

Mick

BlueThird said:
marcusnieman said:
The Richtone ones had dimpled headstocks

Is that true of all the Tokais that Richtone sell, Marcus, or just a select few?

All the Tokai Gibson clones sold officially in the UK (like Richtone's stock) will have the modified headstock. Only guitars imported from abroad (usually Japan) will have the open book headstock.

Mike

BlueThird said:
That's a shame. Had thought I might look into picking a new one up on my next trip back to the UK, but I'm none too keen on the dimple.

Same here. I love the dark cherry finish that Richtone has but the dimple puts me off

I don't notice the pimple (it's convex, not concave, so it's not a dimple!) on my GT. I have one with & one without, & I really don't understand why you guys make so much fuss about it!

stratman323 said:
I don't notice the pimple (it's convex, not concave, so it's not a dimple!) on my GT. I have one with & one without, & I really don't understand why you guys make so much fuss about it!

+1

From three feet away you can't see it, anyway.

Feel free to call me immature, but I've always found the tagline on my Springy Sound ??"This is the exact replica of the good old Strat" ? absolutely delicious. You read that, and it immediately provokes a mental image of a bunch of lawyers choking on their coffee. It's a brilliant guitar, and it's cheeky and subversive at the same time. It all adds to the pleasure of owning a Springy Sound. The headstock on a Springy is a work of art in itself. On the one hand it's derivative; on the other it's outrageous, and in an entirely enjoyable way.

The Les Paul Reborn thing has never had quite the same effect on me (it's too literal, and just doesn't have the same sense of fun) so I've never been desperate to own a Reborn over a Love Rock. But the pimple, well? that's a distinct negative.

The pimpled guitar might be just as good when you consider it purely as a guitar, but it's never going to be as much fun.

BlueThird said:
Feel free to call me immature, but I've always found the tagline on my Springy Sound ??"This is the exact replica of the good old Strat" ? absolutely delicious. You read that, and it immediately provokes a mental image of a bunch of lawyers choking on their coffee. It's a brilliant guitar, and it's cheeky and subversive at the same time. It all adds to the pleasure of owning a Springy Sound. The headstock on a Springy is a work of art in itself. On the one hand it's derivative; on the other it's outrageous, and in an entirely enjoyable way.

I agree. The Springy is an essential part of the Strat's history, probably the most important Strat made by anybody since around 1965. Fender would never admit it (on record), but the Springy showed Fender the way to take their product in the future, & they learned the lesson well. You could easily argue that the 1978 Springy was more of a real Strat than anything Fender had produced for over 10 years.

Maybe if I cared as much about LPs as I do about Strats, the pimple would bother me. Luckily, it doesn't.

8)

stratman323 said:

I just prefer the actual, unaltered headstock. Matter of preference - that's all. If I'm laying out my cash, I'm going to buy what I want. I don't need the guitar - I want it.

Same goes for the strat and tele versions..... I don't care for the altered headstock. Doesn't mean that the guitars aren't well made or sound good.

What exactly is this 'dimple/pimple'? Is there a photo of it anywhere? I can't say I see any difference between the JP and the Richtone ones.

:)

Try this. It's not a good pic, but it shows one with & one without.

IMG_1550.jpg

I hate to say this, but 'that' would annoy me. :( I'm not usually a snob about guitars, but I'd want my Tokai to look like a Gibson as well as play and sound like one.

Thanks for the pics! Nice guitars there!

Latest posts

Back