Goldstar advice

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si Pie

Reaction score
I've recently been notified of a small but decent enough payrise and am getting some good]] mileage expenses through work at the moment, so I am perhaps looking to buy a Tokai strat (treat myself for my birthday/christmas haha).

I've had a read numerous threads/registry info and I think I have got my head round the models and dating (e.g. headstock decals, serial numbers etc.). I've been looking at mid 80's Goldstars. Hopefully someone can help me:

How much should I be paying for a Goldie ST-50? I think this is probably the model I will be able to find and afford.

The ST-40s have ceramic pickups and trapezoid type tuners, is that right? But what of build quality and the body/neck. Is that still decent enough and how would it compare to an ST-50? Is the difference 3 piece body vs 2 piece body? In this case what would I be looking at spending?

I'm not sure I can justify any model higher than that but I may come back with more questions of other models depending on the responses.

Ta muchly.

The woodwork on st 40`s is good,but for me the p`ups and tuners spoil it a bit. 83/84St50`s have gone up in price in the last year as people began to realise what great value they represent ,so you should expect to pay between ?320 and ?400 for a good example. Good luck.Gabe.

Thanks, pickups can be changed no problem. Are the tuners a bit poor, or just a bit funny looking?

ST-50s seem to be more common anyway so I think I will probably be looking at those.

Si Pie said:
The ST-40s have ceramic pickups and trapezoid type tuners, is that right? But what of build quality and the body/neck. Is that still decent enough and how would it compare to an ST-50? Is the difference 3 piece body vs 2 piece body? In this case what would I be looking at spending?

An ST50 will probably have a 3 piece body, an ST40 might have a 3 or 4 piece body, but you probably won't notice if it's a solid colour. It's usually only ST60s and above that are 2 piece, & most Fenders won't be 2 piece. I doubt if many early 60s Strats had 2 piece bodies.

Apart from that it just seems to be the pickups & the tuners. Are you fussy about colour? That can affect the price.

Mike

This is an ST40.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230387873627&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Another oddity - the L serial numbers were supposed to be for the 64 copies with rosewood boards, but quite a few 58 copies (maple) seem to have them too. Tokai like to keep us guessing.

:wink:

stratman323 said:
This is an ST40.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230387873627&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Another oddity - the L serial numbers were supposed to be for the 64 copies with rosewood boards, but quite a few 58 copies (maple) seem to have them too. Tokai like to keep us guessing.

Yeah I've just been having a butchers at the bay and such. Thanks for the information it's been really helpful.

I should probably finish completing my non-descript strat build born out of a cheap squier first, it's infinitely more playable now it has a decent neck on it. Despite it not sounding nearly as good (pretty pants actually), I love playing it more than my LS85, which is why I'm thinking of a Tokai strat.

A TST40 + some decent pickups will cost you more than a TST50 so you might as well pay that bit extra in the first place. If you are patient you'll pick a TST50 up for the low 300's, another option is a Fernandes Revival, or a Greco SE500/600, both great value nice Strats!

stratman323 said:
This is an ST40.

The bridge saddles on this one are not original as they are stamped Tokai and not FinalProSpec as they should be.Gabe.

Weren't the early st's a bit of both, i have seen early goldstars before with Tokai bridge saddles or were these changed out by someone after manufacture?

Mick

Latest posts

Back