3.920 gr - 8.64 pounds Tokai, what kind of wood is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzua

Reaction score
I won't say the model number yet :lol: This is a 3.920 gr (8.64 pounds) Tokai Les Paul but it is not stated what kind of wood is the body. It is even lighter than some of custom shop Gibsons and it is not weight relieved.

Can an African mahogany be so light?

Axchisler said:
In my exp, yes. Honduras, African, Philippino, etc., depends on the tree it was cut from.

No, no :lol: I'm not talking about all mahoganies. I'm talking about African mahoganies, Khayas.

Can be African mahogany be so light or it would need to be Hounduras mahogany?

Certain South Asian Mahoganies can be VERY light! Edwards comes to mind. Their guitars are so **** light and solid too...they use a strain of Southeast Asian Mahogany.

Udonitron said:
Certain South Asian Mahoganies can be VERY light! Edwards comes to mind. Their guitars are so **** light and solid too...they use a strain of Southeast Asian Mahogany.

But this is a Tokai with no spec for the body wood. As far as I know, Tokai uses honduran or african.

Would it be possible to tell if a mahogany is African or Honduran by its grain?

Udonitron said:
As far as I know NO trees of the mahogany species come from S.E.Asia.Mahogany comes from Africa and Central and South America.Gabe.

I was asked to chime in so ................ I wouldn't know African from Honduran from whatever .............

having said that I have owned solid body (non chambered) arch top Les Paul types that weighed in a range from 8 lbs. even up to 10 lbs. plus ............

bluejeannot said:
Udonitron said:
As far as I know NO trees of the mahogany species come from S.E.Asia.Mahogany comes from Africa and Central and South America.Gabe.

This is right, only Swietenias and Khayas (hon and african) are considered mahogany but there are many other woods that some producers claim to be mahogany too, like asian agathis.

MIJvintage said:
I was asked to chime in so ................ I wouldn't know African from Honduran from whatever .............

having said that I have owned solid body (non chambered) arch top Les Paul types that weighed in a range from 8 lbs. even up to 10 lbs. plus ............

ok, thanks.

Edwards aren't really mahogany as they are made from the cheaper "Asian mahogany" which has already been stated isn't really mahogany.
Japanese Tokai's are African mahogany and some of the high end ones are Honduran. As a matter of interest both my Tokai's are Honduran mahogany and one is light and the other is heavy, the timber higher up the tree is generally lighter as it hasn't had to support the rest of the tree making the mahogany lower down the same more dense therefore heavier.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
the timber higher up the tree is generally lighter as it hasn't had to support the rest of the tree making the mahogany lower down the same more dense therefore heavier.

Good point :D Maybe this made the trick.

AFA lumber is concerned, generally (but not always) an example with wider spacing of the annual rings will tend to be lumber in a lighter weight range & conversely, generally (but not always) an example with closer/narrow spacing of the annual rings will tend to be lumber in a heavier weight range

from my experience, this is true more often than not but there are exceptions, hence my use of the term generally

The problem is that if african mahogany can actually be lighter than honduran mahogany, then all the honduran mahogany theory, buzz o whatever is completely bull s**t. :-?

bluejeannot said:
Udonitron said:

Are you sure about that? What do you think all the furniture etc is made from in Southeast Asia besides Teak? I know for a fact Edwards uses farmed mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) from SEA for their guitars (ESP themselves confirmed this).

I actually have a Chinese style buffet from the early 1900's that is made from Mahogany originating from SEA (bought in SEA by my grandparents)

Mahogany trees (Swietenia macrophylla & Swietenia mahogani) originate in the Neotropics, but, like Teak, have been cultivated in Central Java for hundreds of years. They are part of a highly complex community agro-forestry ecosystem that dominates the Central Java landscape.

http://www.tropicalforesttrust.com/news-detail.php?newsid=55

Udonitron said:
Are you sure about that? What do you think all the furniture etc is made from in Southeast Asia besides Teak? I know for a fact Edwards uses farmed mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) from SEA for their guitars (ESP themselves confirmed this).

No, no, that's not the point. Swietenia macrophylla is actually farmed in places like India but it is not the same than what we call "Asian mahogany".

"Asian mahogany" are species originally from Asia, like the Agathis. In New Zeland they have another one. They call them mahogany but only Swietenia and Khayas are accepted as true mahoganies.

leadguitar_323 said:
Edwards aren't really mahogany as they are made from the cheaper "Asian mahogany" which has already been stated isn't really mahogany.

Mick

I disagree. It is a known fact, to assist with the economy (early on and still current) and stop the massive degradation of the coastline and indigenous trees (more current and not Dutch related), that Indonesia has had other types of non-indigenous true mahoganies introduced into their ecosystem from over a hundred + years ago. Most likely from the Dutch during their evil occupation (lol no offense to the Dutch here). I know a bit about this (not meaning to brag here so please do not take it as such) as my degree is in SEA studies so lots of reading and papers done on environmental issues, occupations, industrialization, exports etc.

Here is some more interesting info

Posted by Gibiphone:

I just finished a series of email exchanges with the good folks at ESP Customer Support in Japan, asking about the types of wood used in Edwards guitars.

According to the ESP representatives:

-- Mahogany, Alder and Ash are used in EDWARDS. (This of course refers to more than the LP series)

-- Neither Sapele nor African Mahogany are used in Edwards.

-- The Mahogany that is used in the E-LP series is native to Southeast Asia.

I thank ESP again for answering my questions. Sometimes it took several variations of the same question to get an answer(probably due to my bad Japanese), but in all instances an ESP rep did respond. The answers were always concise, and never volunteered any more information than was requested.

================================================== =================================================

Dear. xxxxxx

E-LPシリーズに使用しているマホガニーは、東南アジアを原産とするものです。
<ESP Webmaster>

> あなたの答えに感謝する。 私の質問は明確、ではない具体的ではない。これはこの主題の私の最終的な質問である 。 E-LP-98LTC/E-LP-130の製造でどんなタイプ木が使用するか?
> どんなタイプマホガニーか? どこから来るか木か?

--
私は無料の SPAMfighter を個人で使用しています。
現在までに 250308 通の迷惑メールを削除しました。
ライセンスを購入すると、メール本文にこのメッセージは追加されません。
無料の SPAMfighter はこちらからダウンロードできます: Outlook ? Outlook Express ? Thunderbird ?????????????? - SPAMfighter

================================================== ==================================================

Dear. xxxxx

EDWARDSにはMahogany、Alder、Ashが使われています。

> わかりました。 あなたの答えを再度ありがとう。 しかし私は混同している。EDWARDSにサペリ(Sapele)やアフリカンマホガニー(A frican Mahogany)は使用していません。。Edwardsのギターの作成で
> どんなタイプ木が使用するか。私は私の悪い日本語を謝る。

--
現在までに 249874 通の迷惑メールを削除しました。
無料の SPAMfighter はこちらからダウンロードできます: Outlook ? Outlook Express ? Thunderbird ?????????????? - SPAMfighter

================================================== ================================================== ===

--------------------------------------------------------------
お客様より受信いたしました問い合わせメールの依頼内容について
回答させて頂きました。
お手数ですがご確認下さいますようお願い申し上げます。

--お問い合わせ内容--------------------------------------------
以前の回答をいただき、ありがとうございます。

EDWARDS--どのような木が、Sapele (entandrophragma cylindricum)またはアフリカマホガニー(khaya anthotheca)使用?

--回答--------------------------------------------------------
EDWARDSにサペリ(Sapele)やアフリカンマホガニー(African Mahogany)は使用していません。

新規問い合わせの場合は下記URLよりお願い致します。
https://espguitars.sslserve.jp/customer/form.html

Webサイトにも製品等に関するFAQページを記載しております。
是非ご活用ください。
ESP | Customer Service | ??????

今後とも弊社製品をご愛用頂きたく、よろしくお願い申し上げます。

┏━┳━┳━┓
┃━┫━┫┃┃
┃━╋━┃┏┛(株)ESP マーケティング開発室 Webセクション
┗━┻━┻┛
PC website : ::::: Electric Sound Products :::::
Mobile website : ESP MOBILE SITE
e-mail : [email protected]

現在までに 249311 通の迷惑メールを削除しました。
無料の SPAMfighter を今すぐお試しください!

More info from Gibiphone (he has done a ton of research on this and props to him for doing so!! Thanks Gibiphone!

Back in Mid-August, I speculated to a couple of other MLP members that the Edwards LP series was made from genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) grown in South East Asian plantations. This is completely legal because the mahogany of these plantations fall outside the international jurisdiction and control of The Appendices of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), since the mahogany is not grown in its native range of Central and South America.

I asked both ESP Japan and ESP USA to confirm this, but have not received a response other than ESP?s statement that the guitars are made from mahogany sourced in South East Asia. ESP Japan did confirm that the wood is neither Sapele (entandrophragma cylindricum) nor African Mahogany (khaya anthotheca).

So what follows is my speculation?an educated guess. But it?s not proven fact, yet; and I might be wrong.

I believe that the Edwards LP series is made from genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) grown in plantations in Indonesia. That?s why the guitars are so light and lively.

ESP has an established presence and a history of production of ESP guitars in Indonesia.

There are large plantations growing mahogany in Indonesia, principally in Java. The plantations of Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) have a net area of about 102,842 Ha (254,128 Acres) (4.17 % of Java and Madura Island ).

When Indonesia was a colony of the Netherlands, from the 17th century until the end of World War II, Dutch administrators in Central Java planted Swietenia mahogany trees along the roadsides and in forests. The Dutch began bringing saplings from Central and South America (specifically Cuba, Honduras and Brazil) to Indonesia as far back as 400 years ago, first to line roadways, and later to start plantations to support Holland?s demand as a large furniture manufacturing nation. The Dutch populated the plantations in Indonesia with bigleaf mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) more than 150 years ago, after the supply of Cuban mahogany (S. mahagoni) petered out in the Caribbean. This Mahogany is non indigenous to Indonesia and does not come from natural rainforests. Swietenia macrophylla is variously known as Brazilian mahogany, American mahogany or Big Leaf mahogany. The Dutch started the Indonesian plantations using Swietenia macrophylla saplings from Brazil and probably Honduras.

There is also a chance that the Swietenia macrophylla used in Edwards LP series if grown on plantations in Fiji. There seems to be a good supply of such wood on the international market at prices around US$1250/cbm.

True mahogany comes from only three species of the genus Swietenia: mahagoni (Carribean/Cuban), humilis (Pacific/Honduran), and macrophylla (Brazilian/American/Broadleaf). Although each has different leaves and flowers, their woods are virtually undistinguishable. The listed American mahoganies of the genus Swietenia should not be confused with other tree species with reddish wood that are commonly called "mahogany." Philippine mahogany is a name given to some of the different species of Shorea that grow in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia. African mahogany refers to several species of Khaya that grow throughout West Africa. Santos mahogany (Myroxylon balsamum) ranges from southern Mexico to Argentina. None of these "mahoganies" are listed in the CITES Appendices. ((For a detailed discussion of what constitutes ?true? mahagony, see below))

Mahogany General Overview
Mahogany is native to the Caribbean and Central and South American lowland tropical or subtropical forests. Caribbean and Pacific coast mahoganies supplied the world's markets for quality wood for centuries, but the two species are no longer commercially logged and are considered commercially extinct throughout much of their ranges. By the time Caribbean and Pacific coast mahoganies were listed in Appendix II of CITES, commercial trade no longer occurred. The recent Appendix-II listing of bigleaf mahogany, the only species left in commercial trade, is intended to ensure that trade in that species is based on sustainable harvest and to address the threats of unregulated trade and illegal harvest. The listing is limited to logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, and plywood, not other parts, derivatives, and products, such as furniture.

The listing of big leaf mahogany includes only populations in the Neotropics. Therefore, bigleaf mahogany grown on plantations outside of its native range SUCH AS INDONESIA (Neotropics) is not regulated under Appendices of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
PART 250--GUIDES FOR THE HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE INDUSTRY--Table of Contents Sec. 250.3 Identity of woods.
Industry members should not use any direct or indirect representation concerning the identity of the wood in industry products that is false or likely to mislead purchasers as to the actual wood composition.
Mahogany.
(1) The unqualified term mahogany should not be used to describe wood other than genuine solid mahogany (genus Swietenia of the Meliaceae family). The woods of genus Swietenia may be described by the term 'mahogany' with or without a prefix designating the country or region of its origin, such as 'Honduras mahogany', 'Costa Rican mahogany', 'Brazilian mahogany' or 'Mexican mahogany'. (?American Mahogany? is also used)
(2) The term 'mahogany' may be used to describe solid wood of the genus Khaya of the Meliaceae family, but only when prefixed by the word 'African' (e.g., 'African mahogany desk').
(3) In naming or designating the seven non-mahogany Philippine woods Tanguile, Red Lauan, White Lauan, Tiaong, Almon, Mayapis, and Bagtikan, the term 'mahogany' may be used but only when prefixed by the word 'Philippine' (e.g., 'Philippine mahogany table'), due to the long standing usage of that term. Examples of improper use of the term 'mahogany' include reference to Red Lauan as 'Lauan mahogany' or to White Lauan as 'Blond Lauan mahogany'. Such woods, however, may be described as 'Red Lauan' or 'Lauan' or 'White Lauan', respectively. The term 'Philippine mahogany' will be accepted as a name or designation of the seven woods named above. Such term shall not be applied to any other wood, whether or not grown on the Philippine Islands.
(4) The term 'mahogany', with or without qualifications, should not be used to describe any other wood except as provided above. This applies also to any of the woods belonging to the Meliaceae family, other than genera Swietenia and Khaya.

Honduran Mahogany (American Mahogany)
Common Name(s): Honduran Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany, American Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany, Big-Leaf Mahogany, Brazilian Mahogany
Scientific Name: Swietenia macrophylla
Distribution: From Southern Mexico to central South America; also commonly grown on plantations
Tree Size: 150 ft (45 m) tall, 6 ft (2 m) trunk diameter
Average Dried Weight: 39 lbs/ft3 (620 kg/m3)
Basic Specific Gravity: .54
Hardness: 900 lbf (4,000 N)
Bending Strength: 11,660 lbf/in2 (80,390 kPa)
Elasticity: 1,386,000 lbf/in2 (9,560 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 3.0%, Tangential: 4.1%, Volumetric: 7.8%, T/R Ratio: 1.4

Back