Which tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Budget of ?600 to ?900 to get a new LP copy.

What would be the best value for money? I love quilt tops, and custom's.

Where would be the best place to go try them out in a shop, and who is a good dealer to buy online from and take a risk.

I am in the uk.

P.s i used to have a LS75Q and i really should have never sold it. So i am looking for a guitar that has a better spec than the 75Q

Tokai changes its model numbers each year to correspond with the inflationary increase. So your LS75Q was so called because it was a Les Paul style, with a retail price of 75,000YEN and had a quilt top. That same model spec today is called an LS100Q (100,000YEN).

Some retailers still sell it as an LS90Q (probably as that's what it was when they first got the stock/ordered it). Confused? I hope not.

Anyway more important matters, unless you buy second hand I don't think you'll better what you had before spec wise.

A Les Paul Custom style or Les Paul style with a quilt top will come in at ?750 or below at www.richtonemusic.co.uk. If you enquire about cases they may be able to provide one at a reasonable price if they have the stock. Postage charges are VERY reasonable at ?10. They were quick to answer questions before you order especially with regards to cases. I ordered my LS85F from there no problems and speedy delivery.

That will leave you money to upgrade the pickups or hardware if you wanted things like brass saddles etc.

It's now the LS100Q...and it's in your price range.

You say better spec than the LS100Q?
Next in line with better specs would be the LS135F, and then the LS150...both a lot more money.

The 100Q has very good specs, and it has the same pickups as the LS150, the MK2.

You might need to up your budget a little.

hummmmm

If i uped my budget would i stand any chance of getting Koa LS? Or do they not make them anymore?

How much of a quality jump is it from the say LS100Q to say a LS150Q

And is there much of a jump from the 85F to the LS100Q?

I like a LP to have some weight to it as well cant stand how light the new standard is.
Cheers

No such thing as an LS150Q...only a 150 plaintop...and a Custom shop flame...too pricey for you. :)
From the 100Q to the 150, the 150 is a one piece mahogany body, solid maple plaintop(no veneer quilt), brass saddles, CTS pots, Switchcraft switches, Sprague orange drop, aluminium bridge...those are the differences.

There's no jump from the LS95F to the LS100Q...identical guitars, ones a flame and the other a quilt.

Come now, stop complicating matters, get yourself a Tokai and start rocking. ;)

Latest posts

Back