How to remove the scratchplate on a Tokai Flying V

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidbitch

Reaction score
Hi there, I was recently going to make some modifications to my Tokai Flying V and came across a massive road block as soon as I tried to remove my scratchplate!!

This may sound completely silly but I apologise to anyone who is offended at my stpuidity.

I can remove the bridge, and the height adjustment screws, but when I screw the height adjustment screws out of the body, there is still some kind of fitting, which houses the screw holes for the height adjustment screws in the way of the scratchplate. It looks like it should just come off but believe me to doesn't. I'm anxious not to scrape or damage my guitar.

I've even found someone else asking the same question online about a Gibson Flying V, however they were answered with a useless response (i.e remove the bridge height adjustment screws, which I have done).

I hope someone can help me, I'm so used with working with strats that I took it for granted that I could get inside without fail on the flying v!!!

I love this guitar and wouldn't want to cause it harm.

Thanks

Its an MIK.

I haven't tried this yet but some guy with an epiphone has told me to do as I did unscrewing all the fittings, then he said near the posts of the height adjustment screw holes, get a grip under the scratch plate, and then try sliding it off.

By the sounds of things the scratchplate is pushed onto these height adjustment holes, and their fixtures are a few mm higher so they in turn poke a little way through the holes cut in the scratch plate.

That all sounded bonkers but I'll give it a go and take some photos.

Don't care how cheap they are MIK FV40's are sweat!

Tried for the life of me, I cannot get the scratchplate of my MIK Flying V

I hope someone can help.

There is sliding off anything as far as I can see, I don't wanna snap my scratch plate.

Sounds like the Bridge mount inserts that go into thebody have been put in over the top of the scratchplate after it was fitted. I had an epi like this, I had to ease the inserts out to do it. I then enarged the holes in the pickguard before re-fitting.

Ok Ok I'll try get a photo.

What Bobtastik says sounds pretty much like the predicament.

I have to say its rather a daft way to fit the scratchplate (I do love this guitar).

Bare with me for photos people I don't my own camera but I can borrow one.

I am trying to upload a pic, but I am a bit of a plank !

When I did mine I found that the bridge stud inserts that go into the body came out fairly easily. First put the threaded part back in about half way then get some blunt pliers and put something soft (cardboard etc) around the stud and then grip the stud & gently pull upwards like the dentist pulling a tooth ! The whole inset should gently come out (it is about 20mm long)

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1yrd8f&outx=500&quality=70

Yes bobtastik it seems that the little part under the bridge screws are holding the scratch plate on. They don't really seem to overlap so I dunno how to slide it off. May be some guitar polish will help lub it up.

I just wanna pot my pups and ad a series/parallel switch

The lip on the Insert is stopping you moving the pickguard, lube wont help (not for that hole anyway !! lol)

Is it like this:
http://nik5085.fotopic.net/p61789684.html

Yeah its exactly like that flying v in the picture.

And it seems may be like there is a tiny little lip.

Thanks for the vocab I've had a hard time trying to think of how to describe the "holes that the bridge screws screw into"

I'm taking pic still. Just to show how I'm struggling with the shole shabang.

I can't get it off unless I hear how to.

I'd to borrow a camera so its taking a while. I want to show me trying to pull the scratch plate off as well as just the fitting (which are like those you showed me).

Its taking a while as I'm between using the guitar at the same time.

modified2.jpg

Here is the part that seems to be holding the plate on.

The arrows are where I think this little section itself come out as they are slided over the plate and into the mounting screw hole fitting.

modified1-0.jpg

Trying my best here to illustrate how I think this little part might come off, if it does at all.

Oh I'm Belfast based, not near Brum!!! regretfully!!! Bloody madness this is eh!!

Back