LS90Q just arrived, would you believe...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir

Reaction score
... that it's lovely?

The eBay seller said they were reasonably confident that it is a 2004 LS90Q, could you fellows confirm that for me?

Hi folks, I?m not sure exactly what model this is, but I?m pretty confident it?s a 2004 LS-90Q. The models reflect the guitars value in Yen and thus change with inflation. Guitar is in overall good condition, though there are a few small chips/dents.

This one has a stunning quilted top, long tenon neck joint, great action and Seymour Duncan alnico pro 2 pickups. It has the usual LP appointments ? mahogany back, maple cap. The neck profile is close to that of a 50s Gib, it?s fatter than a 60?s. Gotoh Hardware, has also had Schaller strap locks fitted ? will provide the strap parts. The pots have been changed for good quality dimarzio and one Gibson pot and the switch is a switchcraft. It?s a stunning guitars, plays fantastically.

P1000675.jpg

P1000673.jpg

P1000677.jpg

P1000679.jpg

P1000676.jpg

P1000681.jpg

P1000682.jpg

In case it's hard to see, the serial number is 0306231.

In any case, it looks and feels very nice indeed - an extremely awesome companion for my '82 Silver Star. The strings are dead as hell though which is why I'm off to the shop! To be continued...

P.S. AU$790 including postage and hardcase, sweet.

That's an awesome looking quilt top! Serial # would say it's a 2003, from what I've gathered here, and a medium tenon like my 08 LS100Q. Is that a burnt sunburst? Looks outstanding, I like that quilt even better than mine, and that's only from pictures. Anxious to know how you like its sound. Congrats, that guitar is gorgeous! BTW, mine was $924 U.S. w Tokai gigbag. You got a hardcase?!!!

They're not the original Pickups either.
Look like SD's.
LS90Q comes with Chrome covered Zebra's.

They're not the original Pickups either.
Look like SD's.

Yep, they're Alnico Pro 2s (as it says in the OP :wink: ). What do you think Oze, is it a genuine 2003 LS90Q?

On the subject of pickups - I really don't like the look of uncovered humbuckers. Is it possible to put covers on (without much effort)?

Is that a burnt sunburst? Looks outstanding, I like that quilt even better than mine, and that's only from pictures. Congrats, that guitar is gorgeous! BTW, mine was $924 U.S. w Tokai gigbag. You got a hardcase?!!!

Thanks! It seems like I got a pretty good deal (as long as no one tells me it isn't a 90 after all.) I don't actually know what the finish is called, maybe someone can tell me? It's nice though, isn't it? You should post pictures of yours in your other thread, I'd be interested to see it.
It does have a reasonably bad chip - visible in the third and fourth pictures. Certainly nothing I can't deal with though.

As for the sound - very nice, as you might expect. My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is probably more suited to my Silver Star's single coils (the overbearing bass is even worse) but it's extremely satisfying all the same. Cranked through my little Epiphone Valve Junior it sings. I haven't played very long, more details later.

Hey Keir, this is one of the images I got with the eBay auction. I have not taken any myself yet, but if you'd like too see more I'm posting them at LS100Q arrived today topic.

Tokai3.jpg

It might be a bit of trial and error to find a set of covers that fit exactly but yeah...you can put them on pretty easily.
It's a legit LS90Q as far as I can tell m8....nothing I've seen about it rings any alarm bells. :D

Hi,

I'm pretty sure it's the real deal, but it doesn't seem to have the markers under the volume/tone knobs.

Congratulations Kier. I was one of the other bidders on that one, but dropped out because of the owner's doubt as to which model it was. Glad to hear that it worked out so well!

Ended up buying a 1983 Love Rock instead, which turns out to be a fantastic guitar too.

Ozeshin said:
It might be a bit of trial and error to find a set of covers that fit exactly but yeah...you can put them on pretty easily.
It's a legit LS90Q as far as I can tell m8....nothing I've seen about it rings any alarm bells. :D

A went to Kosmic in Osbourne Park here in Perth and one of the guys gave me a set of old covers for 10 bucks. I put them on and they seem to fit nicely - but now I seem to have some strange pickup feedback when I play up the neck with any kind of overdrive or distortion on. For example trying to play the intro to Sweet Child of Mine sounds horrible.

Clean sounds fine though.

I'm the worst solderer in Australia so I might take it in and get a pro to fix it up.

Did you unsolder the pickups to get them out or do you mean you soldered the covers back on?

Very strange, I was always under the impression that covers have the opposite effect. People used to take them off to get more gain out of them. My only guess is that soldier got on the coils, causing a short.

Funny you should mention Sweet Child; I brought my two new Tokais to band rehearsal and the other guitarist in my band plugged one in and that was the first thing he played! About 30 minutes later he paused for a second and said, man that's some great Les Paul tone! :D

Good luck mate, hope it's a simple fix.

Back