Help Identify my Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorton1660

Reaction score
Bought it local a few months back ... just gettin around to getting some photos as I loved playin it so much .. am usually a fender man and have had all combinations of strats, Teles with assorted pickups swapped in and out ... but I have never felt or heard anything like this ... its a dream to play and those pickups WOW ... have payed big money for Kinmans and EMGs but I aint hear nothing like these ... how did they make such a powerful sweet sounding pickup ?? Theres no serial number anywhere on the guitar but theres a B-4 in the neck pickup cavity and 9 - 24 the 4 is very faint (see photo) on the neck end.
Cheers Alan
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

amorton1660 said:
Bought it local a few months back ... just gettin around to getting some photos as I loved playin it so much .. am usually a fender man and have had all combinations of strats, Teles with assorted pickups swapped in and out ... but I have never felt or heard anything like this ... its a dream to play and those pickups WOW ... have payed big money for Kinmans and EMGs but I aint hear nothing like these ... how did they make such a powerful sweet sounding pickup ?? Theres no serial number anywhere on the guitar but theres a B-4 in the neck pickup cavity and 9 - 24 the 4 is very faint (see photo) on the neck end.
Cheers Alan

Could be an 1985/1986 AST62 model. Has the higher quality non-ceramic pickups, 2 piece body, and machine-heads (tuners), as opposed to the AST40 which is the entry level strat with lower grade pickups and machine-heads.

You have a slab board unlike my AST40. This means the fretboard replicates the 1962 and older Fender style.

The neck wood quality "I believe" is identical to an AST40 and might be shared on the higher end strats than yours. Guess it depends on what neck shape you have, "C" or "U". Also if your pickups and bridge saddles have any sort of lettering that might help determine what it is. This is all I know so good luck! Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

85/86 Tokai catalog:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p3.jpg

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-catalogs.html#volume12

amorton1660 said:
Cheers Alan

Out of curiosity do you know what the capacitor was lettered or numbered?

Thanks guys
and Lubee the other guitar is a Peavey T-60 1978 model solid ash body twin humbuckers, there used to be a great forum for the t-60 but it seems to be closed for some reason ... if you google it you'll probally find loads of info on the guitar .... the T-60s were very underated but anyone who owns one will tell u just what a special guitar they are ... all hand built with a range of tones you wouldn't believe ... designed and built by Chip Todd & Hartley Peavey ... from around 1978 so mine is one of the early ones ...

amorton1660 said:
Capacitor has both letters and numbers

Thes stock cap is reads "k473" and I think the next line reads "Ih.12"
Now what I think is a 2 isn't stamped very well, so it could actually be smeared ink.

I found this on the web of a similar AST40 that shows a pic:
http://wickmanska.se/strats/pics/TokaipotsElectronicsBIG.jpg

Hey dude!

I think me and you have practically the same guitar. Except mine is in white!

They are amazing arent they :eek:

Amazing build quality and tone!

When i tried to get mine identified no body knew what it was.
Some one speculated that it was an early 90's version.

There is a link for the thread:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13019&highlight=goldstar

Where did you get yours from? and how much?

Hi Alan I`m pretty certain what you have is a late 90`s early 2000 Goldstar.Change the pickup selector and you`ve got yourself a nice axe.See how nice I can be when I want to. Gabe : :)

The pickup slelector is not bad, and it is never vague. i like it.

I have never heard of these late 90's 00's strat. i thought they stopeed good goldstars a long time ago?

you didn't happen to buy that one in bairds (in belfast), did you? I tried one which looked very similar to that in there a while back. I suspected the one I tried was korean, even though the shop told me it was japanese...

the ATS/ATE line (american tele/strat), I think, were exported that's why the headstock isn't in lawsuit shape.

Latest posts

Back