So many types of Love Rock... Which one to get?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuiltTop

Reaction score
Hi!

There seem to be so many variation of the Love Rock model. Do you guys know which one will resemble a real Les Paul in terms of the materials and constructions? Any help would be great!

By the way, I am from the McInturff Forum, currently I own a Grosh Retro Classic and a McInturff Limited Edition Forum Guitar with P90s. Check out my website for some pics.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/davetang/

Hi QuiltTop
Which Gibson Les Paul do you want to resemble? Remember that Gibson changed the LesPaul construction no fewer than 10 times since 1952 - and I'm only talking about the Standard.

A particular era would help to define the type of Love Rock you are chasing. Tokai never made a '70's or '80's era LesPaul replica - not considered good enough to copy. Gibson, however, did make Tokai replicas.

regards
Peter

I am looking at late 50's model with large beefy neck. Looking for Peter Green's tone!

Hey!

Actually, I don't have the Heritage anymore. I am only down to my McInturff and Grosh that's why I am only for a humbucking guitar.

As for PG, I think it's admirable that he's playing again but I am not a big fan of his Splinter Group's materials. If we give him enough time, I am sure the magic will be back!

More like a spare soul at that price :wink:

And I thought that Albert Ross sounded like a 335! Guess what I'l be playing tonight on the old Tokai!

I saw Greeny a year or so ago at the Borderline in London. Nice small venue. I enjoyed it, but agree that he's not what he was (to be expected of course). Just get the Complete Blue Horizon box set - its all there, plus lots of cockney wit in the studio chatter :smile:

James

Quilt Top.

"Oh well" I can email you some nice pics of Love Rocks from my 84'catalogue. This should help you identify what you're after. Just need your mailbox address.

OK Iv'e tried to email the info to you "@angelfire" Dave but it's returned it.

Can we try something else?

Quiltop.I am with you.I wanted a LS200 or high,but the funds....The LS7O is very good.Go for it before they dissapear.Remenber Tokai has changed models.

Lee,

I didn't get the pics but thanks for trying. Maybe it's too big for those public email servers.

I just got some pic from G.S. Universe on the LS70F. Nice looking guitar, only if it's chervon.

http://www.cyborg.ne.jp/~universe/iciji_hokan/new_loverocks_02.html

Speaking of Mr Greenbaum (well I am anyway), this looks intriguing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=873761086

James

I assume that the seller is refering to the infamous 'Egg and Potato Man' :smile:
For those who don't know the story, there was a guy (a farmer, hence the egg and potato thing) in the early 90s who claimed to be Peter Green, and fooled a lot of people into thinking he was making a come back. Remember, this is before the real PG resurfaced, so nobody had seen him for years. Eventually PG's family disproved his claim.
Anyway, for ?1500 the guitar better be a solid flame top model! I doubt it will be - I spoke to a guy a while ago who was selling an early 90s flame top Love Rock that he assumed was solid (and seemed a bit put out when I suggested it might not be) but it turned out to be a laminate. I'm not knocking laminate tops, but I think a lot of people have no idea that the vast majority of flamed Love Rocks have them.

Hi james
You are spot-on about the tops. I would guess less than 1 per 1,000 of the Love Rocks offered for sale are solid flame.
The LS-150 and LS-200 of the '80s were the only models that had a solid flame top. The LS-320 is the only model in the current line-up that has it also.
Tokai Music Aust. imported over 1,500 x LS-50s and LS-80s but only 6 x LS-200 from 1983 to 1987. They were more expensive than the multi-slab Gibsons at the time and were very hard to sell - as beautiful as they were. I did own 1 for many years and wish I had not sold it.......
It is far safer to presume that a Love Rock will have a laminate than be solid. There are ways of telling the difference but I do not want to get into it here (my paranoia)

regards
Peter

QuiltTop said:
Lee,

Try this one....

[email protected].

Thanks again. I am leaning towards the LS70F as the LS200 and LS320 are a bit on the expensive side. What do you think?

I just bought and sold a LS75Q in VF, was approximately $700 shipped to the US. I was comparable to the higher end LP in feel and vibe. I actually looked better than most of the LP's I saw and played, even ones 3 times as much! I think you will be happy with any of the new Tokais. I'm not sure if anybody knows how good the Japanese hardware is, Gotoh Japan? Is it as good as US? Plus the PUPs are pretty decent, but I'd opt for some Fralin or Seth Lover as replacements, JMHO. I don't think I'll spend $2000 for a Tokai either, but that's because I don't have the money. Oh, Dave..... does your girlfriend have a sister? :D

"Peter Mac wrote" :
The LS-150 and LS-200 of the '80s were the only models that had a solid flame top. The LS-320 is the only model in the current line-up that has it also.

I have 2 1980 "Old" -LS120 Solid Flametops & 1 1981"Love Rock" LS120 Solid Flametop-I have Verified ALL to be SOLID Flametops-I have never seen a '82 LS120 so I can't comment-Also I had a '81 LS60 "Love Rock" that one-half of the solid Maple top was semi flamed (Wierd) -
Thats about the same time Ibanez and Greco were making Killer Flametops on their Artists Models , and if you have ever checked out Ibanez Destroyers & Hollow Bodied Models from those years they had the most radical Flametops from '80 to '83-4-Just bogus to say only LS150's and LS200's had a solid flametop.
Mike

Latest posts

Back