Ls90

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love Rock90

Reaction score
CIMG2477.jpg
Sorry m8..I thought you had double posted and deleted the first thread with your question in it :oops:
Oze
Basically he would like some info on his LS90..woopsie :roll:

Ahem...after that little stuff up....
I own an LS80 from 1985 and I love it to death and will never part with it.
The LS90 is basically the same guitar but due to inflation the price went up ten percent.
Tokai LS model numbers are directly tied into the price.
What would you like to know...
2 piece back...all mahogany...57 PAF pickups...yours would appear to be a solid top(mine has a flame laminate)...rosewood board.....poly finish..does yours have fret edge binding?
That appears to be a very hit and miss feature....some LS80/90's have it and some don't.

You can see the fret edge binding in the photo.
Beautiful guitar, looks like a Violin Finish to me.

Oz - are you saying some LS90's have binding and some don't...that's a scary thought, I imagined they all do, including the LS75(85) model.

Hallo , This LS90 has a three piece body and a plaintop in violin finish. The look of the guit. is nice and the neck I like much better den a Gibson Standart . Do you which PU`s in , Mk II or MkIII and what does it mean.

I have orederd a new tailpiece and a alu-stopbar from faber . It?s my first Tokai and my first Lespaul type . I think the tuners not the best. Gotohs , but the cheapest i think . Which replacement can I take ?

Ok..well a 3 piece back makes it an LS60 not an LS90.
This also explains the plain top.
LS90 has a two piece back.
Diamond:
I've seen plenty of LS80's with fret edge binding....mine doesn't have it and I know of a few more that don't.
Bearing in mind that mine is a 1985 model and as such was part of the transition from Reborns to Love rocks...transition guitars give us THE biggest headache to try and identify.

That guitar has neck binding NOT fret edge binding. Can you tell us the first 2 numbers in the serial number please, that will date it for us and make it easier to identify the model

Mick

Diamond said:
leadguitar_323 said:
That guitar has neck binding NOT fret edge binding.

Mick

I'm confused, what's the difference?

Fret edge binding (aka nibs) is where the white neck binding extends upward at the frets and finishes off the ends of the frets as shown:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_h0fO3F4qt_s/SXQMlv5w1vI/AAAAAAAAATg/ZzEF9LUENqQ/s800/MVC-009X.JPG

leadguitar_323 said:
But it looks nice Mike...... :p

Mick

No it doesn't! Compare a 335 with a 355 - all that ornate fiddly twiddly binding all over the headstock ruins the plain simple lines of the guitar. And compare a LP Studio with a Custom - the Studio wins hands down on looks.

Plain & simple is good! Compare SRV's ugly bound body Strat type thing with an ordinary Strat.

KISS - keep it simple, stupid.

:wink:

Each to their own :wink: Some people like all the fancy stuff on a guitar, personally I do, but also like the stripped-down look as well.

Funny though, I can't think of one bit of a Strat that is only there for decorative purposes (apart from the paint) and they still look great!

No it doesn't! Compare a 335 with a 355 - all that ornate fiddly twiddly binding all over the headstock ruins the plain simple lines of the guitar. And compare a LP Studio with a Custom - the Studio wins hands down on looks.
Thats ok Mike, you drive the mini and i'll drive the porsche..... :wink:

Mick

JohnA said:
Funny though, I can't think of one bit of a Strat that is only there for decorative purposes (apart from the paint) and they still look great!

The backplate is purely decorative, & it's often left off.

The second tone control is (IMHO) pointless - but the guitar looks better with 3 knobs, so I guess you could say it was decorative.

But then Leo was a genius. :p

leadguitar_323 said:
Thats ok Mike, you drive the mini and i'll drive the porsche..... :wink:

Mick

If I'm driving away from London, I'll fight you for the Porsche. If I'm driving into London, I'll gladly take the mini!

Latest posts

Back