ALS48 Finishes (UK) and hardware question - newbie time !

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davesax1965

Reaction score
Hi folks - first post here !! Well, given the somewhat dubious quality of Epiphones recently (and the fact that the supply's dried up in the UK) - my next guitar, I've decided, is going to be an ALS48 Love Rock. Trouble is, I'm torn between two finishes - Lemon Drop and Violin. Try as I might, I can't find any pics on the internet which show an ALS 48 in violin finish - y'know what happens, guitar shops show a photo "for illustration only", and it's usually a tobacco or cherry sunburst, anyway. So. Does any kind person out there have pics of their VF or LD guitar to help me with a decision ?

Another question..... I understand that Tokai generally use Gotoh hardware. Does that mean - if I want to do some customising - that Gotoh pickup rings, scratchplates, etc, will fit ??? Will Gibson parts fit as well ?

Cheers, all ! :wink:

Lemon drop:

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/images/watermarked/19028.png

Violin Finish:

http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Images/Models/Full/102761.jpg

There have been stories of varying qualities of the Chinese Tokais, certainly not as consistent as the Japanese models. It may be advisable to go and play one before you buy.

Si, that's absolutely great - thanks !!!

- trouble is, I like 'em both and can't decide....... aaaaaargghhhh !!!!! :)

Those 2 guitars are not very good representations of lemon drop and violin finish. lemon drop is more "lemon" coloured and Violin finish is a lot lighter, that one looks more like Old sunburst even Tobacco sunburst.
This is my Bacchus lemon drop.
DSCF7168-12.jpg

And this is a violin finish
ls1201982120000.jpg

Mick

If you can get on Richtone's ebay site then there are some excellent photos of finishes there.

I think the ALS48 is photo flame though, so be careful if looking at the higher models as they may look different (perhaps someone else can confirm). I also have some photos of my Violin Finish LS85 which represent the colour quite well I think, but these are on my other computer so won't be able to help much there.

Thanks, folks - much appreciated ! And point taken about the variable quality of Chinese Tokais. Looks like I'm going to have to find someone near Macclesfield who'll let me have a go before buying..... it's not going to be for a little while (the Missus points out that I got an Epi Gold Top some time ago, and a Dano 59 at Christmas... I'd like to retain my danglers ) - but - really kind of you - cheers !! My mind is pretty much made up, it's a Tokai for me next !

Thanks, all !
Dave

Am I correct in saying the ALS48 models are a Flamed Sycamore Veneer on an Alder back?

That's what the catalog says...

At the risk of being shot down for posting this on the Tokai forum, you should try a Chinese Burny. There are some great deals on ebay UK at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burny-Les-Paul-Honey-burst_W0QQitemZ170344437554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item27a951d732&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

And IMO ther are better that the Chinese Tokais, mahogany backs and decent pickups!

Diamond said:
Am I correct in saying the ALS48 models are a Flamed Sycamore Veneer on an Alder back?

That's what the catalog says...

I've managed to find my catalogue and you're right, it's seems only the cheap quilted tops are prints.

Here's some pics of my violin finish, but bear in mind it's an LS85. It's a sort of light brown around the edges blending to a golden colour in the middle.

n509812751_967977_270.jpg

n509812751_967978_3599554.jpg

Looks absolutely great - I think I'm more drawn towards a violin burst, to be honest !!! Can I ask if there's a huge difference between the ("less expensive") 48's and the more expensive 85's ? (Not that I'll be able to afford an 85 ! :) )

I just can't work out how Tokai do it for the price (ditto Epiphone, I suppose) - but then, Gibsons cost a fortune due to non- far East labour, and the fact that people are prepared to pay that amount of money for a name on the headstock. Give me a good copy any time.

PS Thanks, John - I know about Burnys. Big problem for me is buying stuff off eBay. Rather try before I buy. I'm really a "sax player who incidentally plays guitar" - I've had a few vintage saxes off eBay and they've all needed work - which is no problems for me, as I service all my own saxes anyway. However, I know what a 1920's Conn Chu Berry or a Buescher Aristocrat alto play like (and can return them to good playing condition) - the Burny is a real unknown !

Cheers all !

Here's a couple of pics of my ALS43 much the same as the 48's, the shots are not all that good and you can see how the different light makes it look a different colour but if you go by the coluor of Si pie's pic of his LS85 then you got it
04-02-09_1458.jpg

11-05-09_1411.jpg

11-05-09_1403.jpg

11-05-09_1401.jpg

Can I ask if there's a huge difference between the ("less expensive") 48's and the more expensive 85's ?

There's a big difference. Better hardware, better wood and better construction and finish, overall a much better guitar. The 48 is Korean and the 85 is Japanese.

Mick

Thanks, Mick. Unfortunately, funds say "ALS48" - I'd love something more expensive, but - I'm really not a good enough guitarist to justify spending the money (must be a first, someone admits on a forum that he's no good !! ) - plus, the Missus would probably strangle me. :wink:

As I think I said, all going to be some time in the future, but - thanks, folks, my question is answered and my mind is made up - ALS48 VF for me "as soon as possible".

Thanks, all - much appreciated !!!
Dave

Back