New Forum User.... and yes, a few Qs! :o)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveFerguson

Reaction score
Hi,

Just found the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been playing for about 8 years and I have owned a fair number of guitars in that time. At one point, I had about 12 guitars, but during/following a messy divorce, I had to prune my collection down to 1 to fund things like, well food and stuff! That really hurt!

I currently have an Ibanez J-Custom RG8670TB (Or something like that!) and have been very impressed with the quality of workmanship from the Japanese.

Now that things are looking up, I'm looking to start building up my collection again and first on the list is a Les Paul, though I'm after something Japanese rather than a Gibson.

I know you guys must get a shedload of questions about Tokai's numbering system and etc etc, so I have done you the courtesy of actually reading through a load of the forum before blindly stumbling in. I got to about page 25 on this forum and have managed to pick up, I think, the gist of things, so let's see, if I have got it correct...

1. LS denotes Les Paul Std type, LC denotes Les Paul Custom type

2. The model numbers increase as they get better, as it's the rough price point in Yen, which also means that when the price changes in Japan, the model number will change also, so an LS75 from a few years ago may be the same as an LS85 now?

3. Q denotes quilt top, F denotes flame top and S denotes solid finish?

4. SEB denotes Sound Effect Body, which, from what I gather, is made from lots of quartersawn square blocks in a chequerboard effect sandwiched between the top and back?

5. RichTone is the one of the best places to get hold of a Tokai in the UK?

Okay, did I get the basics? :)

So now for my questions, if you'd oblige...

a. Are any of the LP models available with a slim "60s" neck profile, as opposed to a fat "50s" one? None of the listings I can find make any mention of the neck profile.

b. At what model do the MIJ LPs start? LS75?

c. Are fitted Tokai hardcases availible in the UK?

d. Is the SEB regarded as a "Good Thing"? I am not likely to have the luxury of being able to try before I buy, unfortunately. I would usually steer clear of anything that wasn't a solid 1, 2 or 3 piece body, but the SEB seems to be lauded as a plus point rather than a negative?

Sorry for the HUGE first post, but if you're still here then thanks for reading! :lol:

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome. I wouldn't worry about the neck size too much, Tokai don't use the fatter of the neck options or the thinner 60's for that matter. They are closer to the 59 gibbo neck size which is smaller than the 58 if i am correct. I have small hands and have absolutely no trouble at all playing my 2 Tokai's actually my greco LPC has a bigger neck and i have no problems playing that one either and it is set up with very heavy gauge strings. Richtone are a good shop to deal with and are also members of this forum, they will help you out with anything you need to know including your question on cases. I haven't played a SEB Tokai but from reports on this forum they are very resonant guitars with excellent sustain. I haven't covered everything but i hope this helps...

Mick

Hi Mick,

It's not so much that I am worried about having problems due to small hands etc, it's just that my Ibanez has a Wizard II (VERY thin and wide) neck and I have grown to like quite slim necks. If there is a choice, I would go for a slimmer neck, bu it won't worry me overly much if they just come in a one size fits all option.

Cheers,

I find the size of the neck with LP's helps the sustain as in, a fatter neck sustains better than a thin one. I don't think you will find anything close to your Ibanez, i think the Ibanez even has a wider fretboard. But i wouldn't worry too much i find it doesn't take long to get used to a different neck size.

Mick

Yeah, I used to have a variety, it has just been a while since I have played anything other than my Ibanez. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

8) hello steve where in the uk r u from?

a/ i think tokai usually doesnt offer the 60 slim neck but dont worry coz
tokai's 59 neck isnt fat like the gibson's and its pretty mild. no problem
easy neck for everyone i think.

b/ traditionally from "50" or "40" like LS50 and ST40? currently its safe
to say its beginning around from LS 70. the basic japa model this year
is LS 85/90/95F........ 

c/ i think yes so go talk to tokai UK anytime!

d/ i think yes but not sure if its absolutelly always better than the body
made up of good resonant trans toned similar piece woods.
but its what tokai proudly presented to the world so at least its better
than regular class wood bodys i guess. nothing bad and to lose by it
i am sure.

8) joe japan.

Thanks Joe,

I am from Scotland originally, but have lived all over, as my dad was in the forces.

Actually, I'm in the forces myself and am currently serving in Cyprus, but everything is rediculously priced here, so I still buy everything from the UK if possible.

What level of LS series do you start getting solid maple caps rather than laminate?

Also, what about poly/nitro finish? I am not overly fussed if it has a poly finish, as long as it isn't too thick and pooling around the neck joint! :)

Steve

8) hi steve. LS85/90 is the same solid top model just 85 is solid color like
black and gold. 90 is sunbursts. the most popular is i guess LS90
in violin finish. its what everyone wants first. tokai begins nitro
from the japanese high end series like LS150 today
so the japan standard class is all poly. but their poly is thin
so it doesnt bother us. maybe too slippery coz they polish it too much.

Okay, I'm with you so far, so is the LS90Q/LS90F got a solid piece of Q/F Maple for the top, or is it a laminate?

And what's the score with an LS85F? Is that an old version of an LS90F, with new LS85 being solid colour, or is it an exception to the rule?

:-? It does get a bit confusing, doesn't it? :)

The Q and F in those models are laminate tops, very thin, 1mm or less. The higher end flame tops don't have the "F" or "Q" designations, only the lower models and they are veneer, the plain tops are solid.

Mick

Ah okay, cool. Am I right in thinking though, that the ones with laminate tops still have a chunk of plain maple underneath? They're not just mahogany with a 1mm maple top are they?

Steve

Sorry i knew i left something out, yes they have a solid maple top under the flame veneer. Same construction as usual, just with a flame or quilt veneer.

Mick

Wonderful. I can deal with a veneer as long as you've still got the bite of a maple top. Would be too dark with just the veneer on mahogany.

Sorry to keep on with the questions, but what about a LS130 SEB? Does that have a solid quilt top? And are the "blocks" in the middle made of mahogany or maple?

If you look at the cutaway of those models in the photos you will see there is a proper maple cap due to the colour difference compared to the mahogony. The veneer is thin sycamore so it looks pretty decent. The flame isn't to subtle or dominant on my LS85F but that's just how it relates to my personal preference. Also the Violin Finish is browner on the edges than it looks in photos. It certainly isn't red, more like a clay/milk chocolate brown.

The centre is cross cut mahogany see the following catalogue link

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/seb/ls138seb.html

I've got a 2004 one which plays great and was an LS125SEB at the time.

Dave

Latest posts

Back