Please help to ID Tokai Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryuch

Reaction score
No serial number on back.
http://sweetguitars.ru/good.php?id=1020
Color: metallic red

Hmmmm...cream covers and no serial like a Korean model but a 2 screw truss rod cover like MiJ.
Nice colour though.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying it looks to be a MiK ALS43?

Ozeshin said:
Hmmmm...cream covers and no serial like a Korean model but a 2 screw truss rod cover like MiJ.
Nice colour though.

weight 4kg. Mahagony???

ALS43 Non mahagony.

leadguitar_323 said:
Does it have inserts in the body for the bridge posts to screw into or do the posts screw directly into the body ?

Mick
i-285.jpg

I would say for sure that is a Korean model, not sure which one but it has the off white covers and the bridge post inserts. I would say its an early Korean model.

Mick

dryuch said:
Ozeshin said:
Nice colour though.

weight 4kg. Mahagony???

ALS43 Non mahagony.
Basswood for the Korean models.

Alder as well Oze. And even some plywood ones there for a while.
The earlier ones i have seen and the ones in the earlier 2000 catalogue i have are alder as well. I think the Basswood is a newer thing for Tokai.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Alder as well Oze. And even some plywood ones there for a while.
The earlier ones i have seen and the ones in the earlier 2000 catalogue i have are alder as well. I think the Basswood is a newer thing for Tokai.

Mick
And what about weight: 4,1 kg. Classic weight of Les Paul. On an alder not similar. Wood in cavities becomes dark. Seems on mahogani

No one seems to have much information on the early Korean models so its entirely possible that it is mahogany although, one of these came up in another post and it looked like Alder. Alder would or can weigh similar weights to mahogany. Can you post some close up pictures of the wood in the cavities ?

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
No one seems to have much information on the early Korean models so its entirely possible that it is mahogany although, one of these came up in another post and it looked like Alder. Alder would or can weigh similar weights to mahogany. Can you post some close up pictures of the wood in the cavities ?

Mick
i-286.jpg

Sorry to tell you this but thats plywood, it is a low end Tokai and that accounts for the weight as well. Didn't you say you bought this from a shop?
I would take it back as it is not what you thought it was. It is a Korean Tokai but it is made out of plywood.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
There is an identical guitar in the 2000 Tokai catalogue and it is a ALS48m.
Plywood body and maple neck, MK4 pickups and colour MR.

Mick
Thanks for the help! I have returned a guitar to the seller.

750 USD ,thats ridiculous. Did they give your money back?. You could get a lot better guitar than that one for that money. Check in first before you buy one next time, plenty of knowledgeable folk round here willing to help you out.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
750 USD ,thats ridiculous. Did they give your money back?. You could get a lot better guitar than that one for that money. Check in first before you buy one next time, plenty of knowledgeable folk round here willing to help you out.

Mick
Thank you! Ill get my money back.

Latest posts

Back