Pickup Rings - Which ones fit?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuBee

Reaction score
The action is perfect on my 03 MIJ Love Rock........

But neck pick up is sitting below the ring (so the pole pieces dont hit the strings when I give it some welly) and looks a bit of a mess. So I'm looking for a replacement low ring.

I also managed the break the bridge ring whilst cleaning it...DOH!

So I was wondering which after market rings will fit. Did a forum search but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Cheers

Lu_B

Hello,

I had the exact same problem - after trying a few different makes, these are the best fit i can find..

http://www.allparts.uk.com/humbucking-pickup-ring-slanted-flat-underside-plastic-p-3581.html?p=product

JonnyFriendly said:
Hello,

I had the exact same problem - after trying a few different makes, these are the best fit i can find..

http://www.allparts.uk.com/humbucking-pickup-ring-slanted-flat-underside-plastic-p-3581.html?p=product

Cheers for that

Do you happen to know what the shortest height of the neck ring is?

Cheers

Lu_B

My neck pickup is well below the ring too! A lot of folks actually like it this way because that's how they made the rings on 50's Gibsons.

The problem is, as you've noticed, they do have a tendency to crack...

LuBee said:
JonnyFriendly said:
Hello,

Cheers for that

Do you happen to know what the shortest height of the neck ring is?

Cheers

Lu_B

Sorry for the delay - just measured it and it's 3mm. Other side is just shy of 6mm. They fit Love Rocks (or at least my 2005 MIJ ls85) a treat, and elimante the recessed pickup syndrome - the neck pickup can now be raised above the rim, and the bridge even more so.

JonnyFriendly said:
Sorry for the delay - just measured it and it's 3mm. Other side is just shy of 6mm. They fit Love Rocks (or at least my 2005 MIJ ls85) a treat, and elimante the recessed pickup syndrome - the neck pickup can now be raised above the rim, and the bridge even more so.

Cheers for for helping me out with that.

I'll get some ordered, although the recessed pickup thing makes it historically accurate, I think it looks a mess.

Next thing I have to decide is whether or not to put a pickguard on it...mmmm decisions decisions :-?

I might have to get a set of these for my new LS whatever it is. With the action still a bit higher than I would like it, the top E is only a few mm from the edge of the pickup ring - that can't be right, can it?

Mike

Tried to get these rings today, along with a few other items. Pickup rings - out of stock. Speed knobs - out of stock. .022 capacitors - out of stock. They have more stuff out of stock than Argos! Not very impressive.

I'm gong to take my chances with Axerus....

Didn't get mine from Allparts as ...yes you've guessed it they were out of stock!

Got mine from Gamblins in the end - very speedy service.

Don't let Axesrus' website put you off, I've had nothing but good service from them.

Very nice looking LP you have, good price too, I'd have looked at it myself except for the pesky collection only!

Louise

Thanks Louise. Axerus are my main supplier of bits & pieces, very quick delivery, & post free too. Allparts were going to charge ?3 post on one set of pickup rings! Except that they didn't have them.....

By "take my chances with Axerus" I meant take the chance that they are the right size.

stratman323 said:
Thanks Louise. Axerus are my main supplier of bits & pieces, very quick delivery, & post free too. Allparts were going to charge ?3 post on one set of pickup rings! Except that they didn't have them.....

By "take my chances with Axerus" I meant take the chance that they are the right size.

See what you mean!

I'm just reading your "what is it thread" as I picked up a 2003 MIJ LS something or other a couple of weeks ago - mines cherry sunburst and a bit flamed. Pickups are different to yours gotoh on the back and no blob of solder (have replaced them with a set of Seymour Duncan Phat Cats). Suspect mine a LS65 too.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Maybe they're not that different - same stickers, & perhaps mine say Gotoh under the stickers?

IMG_1497.jpg

LuBee said:
I'm just reading your "what is it thread" as I picked up a 2003 MIJ LS something or other a couple of weeks ago - mines cherry sunburst and a bit flamed. Pickups are different to yours gotoh on the back and no blob of solder (have replaced them with a set of Seymour Duncan Phat Cats). Suspect mine a LS65 too.

Unusual... The flame pattern looks like the sycamore you'd get on the LS-**-F but there's no screw holes drilled for a pickguard.

Paladin2019 said:
LuBee said:

Unusual... The flame pattern looks like the sycamore you'd get on the LS-**-F but there's no screw holes drilled for a pickguard.

I haven't a clue what it is, have looked at the catalogues but I'm non the wiser! Its never had a pick guard on it and I don't think I'm going to put one on it.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Not an expert on new Tokais, but the lack of a scratch-plate indicates you might well have a higher spec model than you thought!!

JohnA said:
Not an expert on new Tokais, but the lack of a scratch-plate indicates you might well have a higher spec model than you thought!!

Maybe your right but even if it is one of the low end models I think I got a good deal at ?275.

LuBee said:
JohnA said:

Maybe your right but even if it is one of the low end models I think I got a good deal at ?275.

?275 for ANY Japanese Tokai is a gret deal indeed!! Well done :wink:

JohnA said:
LuBee said:
JohnA said:

?275 for ANY Japanese Tokai is a gret deal indeed!! Well done :wink:

I think it was one of those bargains that don't come around that often on Ebay - it was a BIN, 15 miles from home and cash on collection.

So I thought I'd risk it, I know I committed the cardinal sin by not posting about it on the forum first but I knew it would be gone at that price.

Asked the seller a bunch of questions and did a quick trawl of the forum for details of satin finishes.

Build quality is fantastic, I've got SD Phat Cats in it at the mo but they're not doing much for me so might swap the bridge out for a regular humbucker or maybe treat myself to a set of Bare Knuckle's.

Latest posts

Back