ES Center block

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dombat

Reaction score
Hi
I'v just purchased a second hand Made in Korean ES-60.
This MIK guitar is all mapple, neck included.
I've checked the center block, and I'm quite sure it is made of mahogany.
The MIJ ES 1XX are mapple body, but mahogany neck.
The Gibson ES 335 has a mapple center block. What is the wood of the Tokai MIJ ES ? mapple too?
If so, can we compare a mapple neck + mahogany center block with a mahogany neck + mapple center block, wood resonance wise ?

MIJ ES models have a mahogany centre block if I recall correctly. Tone-wise I think they sound slightly different, with the mahogany block offering a slightly darker tone with less semi-acoustic "spang" (my term!) much like my old Sheraton. Resonance-wise I doubt there's much in it. My Gibsons have a tad more bite, and my ES120 is a bit more mellow. Bizarrely, the Tokai is much lighter than my Gibsons!

From Gottfried:

Center Block of ES100/120 - Spruce/Maple/Spruce 3 ply

Certainly explains the lack of weight. Back home now, so I'll check the ES120...

Edit: Yep, 3-ply spruce/maple/spruce; ply running back to front (ie. spruce in contact with both back and top). Could certainly be different on the vintage models though!

Weird that I'd never noticed it before - I'm usually pretty nosey when it comes to inspecting build quality! Must be because I'm so distracted when I pick it up ;)

Back