ES-Custom - my first Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmca

Reaction score
Just got my long-awaited ES-Custom, unpacked it, plugged it in (it was still in tune, after traveling thousands of miles in an aircraft hold) and got stuck in. Hah! Pretty exciting guitar to play - open up the output stage on the amp and this thing starts bucking and writhing under my hands. After a couple of minutes I hit a note that starts the air pumping out of the f-holes like there's a fan inside it, and as I put my hand over it to feel the draft, the note's volume changes...so I'm sustaining a note and waving my hand over the hole to create a tremelo. Two minutes in and I'm playing the thing like it's a theremin!! I am going to enjoy owning this one 8)

Fretboard needs a bit of warming up, like any new guitar, and I'm not sure about the neck pickup - seems a bit underwhelming, but the bridge is wonderfully uncouth. I'm sure I'll get around to finding some jazzy tones given time, but right now I feel like a hooligan!!

I would also like to see some pics, but is it really a good idea to send a guitar "thousands of miles in an aircraft hold" tuned up to concert pitch? I thought it was generally agreed that detuning the guitar put less strain on the neck?

Mike

All I know is it's a short run - apparently - of top-spec ES with Honduras rosewood and mahogany, fatter neck profile (although it's not all that fat in my opinion), and the Love Rock headstock. The label inside reads ES-Custom. I'll post pics as soon as I can - in a couple of days.

I thought it was generally agreed that detuning the guitar put less strain on the neck?

Well I suppose it's not a great idea. But these were pretty light strings - 10s or maybe even 9s, and the guitar seems fine. I'll get some 11-52 on it and it will be even finer!

JohnA said:
Donkey Oaty said:
richmca said:
I'll get some 11-52 on it and it will be even finer!

Are you building a bridge ! :eek:

:lol: 10's on a 335 feel very light, I use 10-52's on a Les Paul, but the same gauge on a 335 feel like 8's.

Yeah, long scale guitars take heavier strings much more forgivingly than say a Strat.

marcusnieman said:
Yeah, long scale guitars take heavier strings much more forgivingly than say a Strat.

Que? A Strat scale is 25.5 inches. A Gibson (ES or LP) scale length is 24.75 inches.

:-? :eek:

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

Que? A Strat scale is 25.5 inches. A Gibson (ES or LP) scale length is 24.75 inches.

:-? :eek:

:oops: You know what I mean. Strings feel tighter on a strat than an ES or SG for instance.

I managed to tear myself away from playing it long enough for a few snaps here. Not great photography.

Playing a semi at volume is a whole new game for me - lotsa fun!

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Thanks! As far as I know from my supplier, there are only 6 of these, and since I've only seen two others for sale, that probably means the varnish is still drying on the other three.

BTW, I'd like to say thanks in general to the contributors on this forum. I've been lurking for a while, trying to learn enough about Tokais to make the right choice for my first one. It's a very informative forum, and since info about Tokais is not that easy to acquire elsewhere, it's been a valuable resource for me.

Why, thank you!

I've never had a semi before, but always fancied one. What I'm finding exciting is how different the playing experience is. Once you get the volume up, the air inside the cavities really starts to move, and there's a whole new dynamic and response to play with. I've always had a slightly odd feeling whenever I've played semis before, as if this vibrating, quivering thing under my fingers had kind of broken loose from its moorings and needed tying down, and I wanted to get back to a LP or Strat and some solid ground. But that was intriguing at the same time and now I'm learning to go with it.

Back