Bought this on Ebay/Is it real or fake?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevort

Reaction score
I just bought this on Ebay. I can't tell if it is real.
Seller states it's a 2005 model but, I notice now after looking around,
I don't see any Love Rock logo in the photo? Is this possible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170261119945&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting Let me know serial is 0509797 paid $825.00 US Thanks! Trevor

Welcome to the forum.

First off, you should ask BEFORE you buy (saw that you jumped on the buy it now - that's risky if you don't know what you're buying) and it says Love Rock right on the headstock.

You're lucky this time - it's legit and a very nice plaintop. The seller Gus Harris is a reputable seller and a good guy.

marcusnieman said:
Welcome to the forum.

First off, you should ask BEFORE you buy (saw that you jumped on the buy it now - that's risky if you don't know what you're buying) and it says Love Rock right on the headstock.

You're lucky this time - it's legit and a very nice plaintop. The seller Gus Harris is a reputable seller and a good guy.

Your absolutely right about the Ask before you buy! I'm not familiar with these guitars at all! I wanted a quality made Les Paul without paying out the ying-yang. I originally looked into the Elitist Epi.Hate there headstock's though.
I just know as a salesman of Fender guitars in the past that the quality
of the Jap. made instruments were impressive.Mostly the vintage series.
So, I took a chance with this one. Cheaper than getting a American made Paul, so maybe worth it?
Thanks! sweew!! that's a load off my back!(Will not really,it is a Paul)

Trevor

:eek:

Enjoy it.....nice guitar. Did you get the hardshell case with it? If it's a Tokai case (and it looks like one), those are hard to come by and certainly sweetens the deal.

marcusnieman said:
Enjoy it.....nice guitar. Did you get the hardshell case with it? If it's a Tokai case (and it looks like one), those are hard to come by and certainly sweetens the deal.

Yes, it is . it stats comes with original case.
So, Swweeeeeettttt!!!! I guess? I've never owned one.
So I hope it is sweet!

Thanks!
Trevor :lol:

As I wait for my Ls-75 to ship,What can anyone tell me about these?

What Standard is this modeled after?Year?
The pups?
Electronics?pots?Caps?Jack?etc..
Finish?Poly or Nitro?
Neck shape feel?
Sound?

Thanks!

Trevor

trevort said:
As I wait for my Ls-75 to ship,What can anyone tell me about these?

What Standard is this modeled after?Year?
The pups?
Electronics?pots?Caps?Jack?etc..
Finish?Poly or Nitro?
Neck shape feel?
Sound?

Thanks!

Trevor,
take your time and take a look at all the information you'll find at

http://www.tokairegistry.com/

... and the numerous threads about an LS75 which you can find when using the search button ... :wink:
There will also helpful comments - I'm sure - when you'll introduce your guitar here ... hopefully with pics, because that would be essential ... :lol:

In the meantime ... Congrats on your purchase and be HAPPY !!!
Roger

Thanks Roger!

But, unfortunatly,I can't seem to find a whole lot
about the spec.s. Yes it says Maple top, mahogany body etc.. But, Is it a
ply top a carved solid top? How are the electronics? cts potsor?
Type of Caps?etc.. I can't seem to find.Anyone have one to comment?

Thanks!
Trevor

Hi,

I imagine that it's the equivalent of todays LS90 spec which is here
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls/ls90/ls90.html

The pickups etc are likely to be mkII PAFs as listed. As It's a plain top in will be a solid maple cap without a veneer. Can't comment on the cap's/pots etc for those models.

Let us know when you get it :D

Dave

Well, I received my guitar today but,...........

It was listed as mint and I wouldn't call it that.

There are clear groves in the back of the guitar, a chip at the
head stock,fret wear and fret buzzing(freting out)when you pick a little
harder. And the output jack is cutting in and out on occasion.
I'm not sure the case is the original. There is no logo or markings to prove that. It's stated w/ original.

So, I am trying to resolve some how. I wanted to change the pups for sure..
They don't have a lot of tone in the neck, I can't get it to clean up much.
It distorts too much. The look of the guitar is great otherwise.The seller is gusharris.

He states:

An beautiful Tokai Les Paul, Made-in-Japan "Love Rock" model LS-75. Guitar is in mint condition! Fret board and wires are in perfect condition, displaying no noticable play-wear!!! Gorgeous carved cherry-burst solid maple-top on mahogany, with historically-correct dove-tail bookmatch head-stock. Cream-bound rosewood fingerboard, appointed with beautiful mother-of-pearl position markers! Serial number: 0509797, produced in 2005. Neck is a nice medium C-profile that is a pleasure to fret, but not too chunky. Body finish is mint, with no finish marks or abrasions and zero belt buckle rash. Ships with original hardcase

:-?

trevort said:
Well, I received my guitar today but,...........

It was listed as mint and I wouldn't call it that.

There are clear groves in the back of the guitar, a chip at the
head stock,fret wear and fret buzzing(freting out)when you pick a little
harder. And the output jack is cutting in and out on occasion.
I'm not sure the case is the original. There is no logo or markings to prove that. It's stated w/ original.

So, I am trying to resolve some how. I wanted to change the pups for sure..
They don't have a lot of tone in the neck, I can't get it to clean up much.
It distorts too much. The look of the guitar is great otherwise.The seller is gusharris.

He states:

An beautiful Tokai Les Paul, Made-in-Japan "Love Rock" model LS-75. Guitar is in mint condition! Fret board and wires are in perfect condition, displaying no noticable play-wear!!! Gorgeous carved cherry-burst solid maple-top on mahogany, with historically-correct dove-tail bookmatch head-stock. Cream-bound rosewood fingerboard, appointed with beautiful mother-of-pearl position markers! Serial number: 0509797, produced in 2005. Neck is a nice medium C-profile that is a pleasure to fret, but not too chunky. Body finish is mint, with no finish marks or abrasions and zero belt buckle rash. Ships with original hardcase

:-?

Have you emailed him back with what you wrote above? Take pictures (good ones with sharp resolution) of the things you have issue with. If you paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge and not pay it until it is resolved.

The photos on the ebay link don't show any chips, grooves, etc. As for the fretting out, there's no telling how long it's been since that guitar has been played or even set up. Might need a good set up and have the truss rod tweaked. Same thing with the output jack - a spray or two with some contact cleaner in it and in the pots goes a long way. Check your cable too.

The case looks like an original - that's why I asked you if it came with the guitar earlier in this thread.

The pictures don't show the wear that's for sure. I could live with it if it was
something that was noted and the price reflected that.The fret work will cost a bit.

This is really only 3 years old. But, it's been played a bit. So, not impossible
for the wear. But, I didn't pay for a worn instrument according to the ad.

The top is in pretty good shape.The pick ups sound okay at times but, not that great,that's not a gripe about the ad though. That could happen with any guitar as a preference.Don't care really about the case being original or not. Seems a bit flimsy though compaired to a real Gibson case.
Personally ,I think a real Les Paul would be better at this point.
You get what you pay for.
Just waiting to hear back from him. No responce yet.
We'll see .

Thanks
Trevor

Why don't you post some pics here of the things you're describing. I'm curious to see what your are seeing. It doesn't sound like you're pleased with it at all (frets, pickups, nicks, flimsy case, etc). No offense but that's why I hate selling guitars on ebay - I had one buyer complain that there were pick scratches on the pickguard that I didn't state - on a used guitar. Anyway, the description on the ebay link of your guitar at the beginning of this thread says that there are no marks on it or any discernable player wear.

As I said previously, gusharris is (at least in my experience) a reputable seller - he does have 100% positive feedback and I'm sure he'll respond to your query. Again, I don't know how you paid for it (Paypal, credit card, money order, etc) but you can certainly dispute the charge until you get this sorted out.

I still haven't gotten a reply. So ,we'll see.I'm trying to take photo's,it's not easy to capture on a digital camera at least not mine.
I should just save for the real thing.
Oh well.

TT :oops:

marcusnieman said:
There is no need to buy a 3 year old, used guitar, even when you can get for the same amount the same - brand-new with warranty ... :roll:
ASK FIRST - BUY LATER!

Well, I'm going to keep the guitar. The quality is good. But, I'm not happy about the way it was listed.
I believe it's in very good condition with some flaws and marks. Some light wear on the frets. But, it was listed as Mint!

I probably did pay what a new one would cost? I can't tell because I'm in the U.S. and who knows?

He won't respond to any of my emails and the fact that it was falsely listed
from the gate, I've left Neg. feedback. Sorry, nice guy or not. I didn't pay for a worn guitar.

Trevor

:(

trevort said:
Well, I'm going to keep the guitar. The quality is good. But, I'm not happy about the way it was listed.
I believe it's in very good condition with some flaws and marks. Some light wear on the frets. But, it was listed as Mint!

I probably did pay what a new one would cost? I can't tell because I'm in the U.S. and who knows?

He won't respond to any of my emails and the fact that it was falsely listed
from the gate, I've left Neg. feedback. Sorry, nice guy or not. I didn't pay for a worn guitar.

Trevor

:(

Well, for all we know he could be on holiday or in the hospital. You only got the guitar on Saturday and you flame him with negative feedback on Monday? I hate ebayers like you. How would you like it if I sent negative feedback your way because your payment was 2 days late? Nonetheless, what was the resolution you were wanting? A discount? To return it?

It is a 3 year old guitar. Any guitar that old will show play wear. You call it a worn guitar.....the pictures in his listing show anything but a worn guitar. Like I said before, why don't you share pictures with us of the areas of your concern......I want to see what you are seeing because I sure as hell can't see it in the eBay photos.

Your right , I can't see them in the photo's either. But, the angles don't show these kind of markings. As far as being a bad
Ebayer goes... What does Mint represent to you?
I've had many guitars 3 years old that I've played that the only
marks where pick marks that you can't avoid unless you don't play them.

I've always thought that it ment in new or almost like new condition.

I'll post some pictures. As best I can. It's hard to get good shots.

Normally , I don't have any problems with anything else. But,
I wouldn't list this as Mint if I was listing it. That to me is dishonesty,
deception. I've never listed anything that wasn't dead on to what i said it was.If it had a mark ,I'd say so. No one has ever been unhappy with what I've sold them. In fact many can't believe the deal they got once receiving it.

Here's some pictures of back and headstock. Having problems getting it all in but you get the idea.

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/trevort2/LEs%20Paul/

Trevor

Back