help with a tuning issue please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
i recently changed strings on my springy and now when i dip the whammy (without fretting or picking) several strings make a tinkling sound. this sound is completly annoying, i tried new strings, new stringing method but it always appears.

any advice welcome.

thanks.

My guess is the strings are sticking in the nut. Did you go to a heavier gauge than the ones previously fitted?

Try some graphite (use a pencil) in the nut slots, of have the slots checked out by a competent luthier and maybe filed out a bit. It's not a hard job, you can use a wound string as a file, but if you're not confident doing this leave it to someone who is.

+1 on the pencil thing

Shave some pencil graphite onto a piece of paper, then use a knife edge of the dust in the nut slot. Same for the saddle cuts
Off cuts of your string guage, glued to a ice cream stick will make a cheapy file for the nut & saddle , just make sure you keep the angle at the right angle, ie, towards the post .
Polish off all the cuts in the nut & the saddles with 500 grit wet & dry, finish with 1000 grit wet & dry, grease with the graphite dust and all should be sweeeeeet
Works with mine, can do a dive bomb and she stays in tune!!

I screw the trems down on my Strats, but I still use pencil lead (graphite) in the nut slots. Graphite is an excellent lubricant, and it helps to avoid strings sticking in the slot. And it's free. :p

Mike

thanks guys for the responses. I will try the above graphite method. Yes i did change up to 10's, i have now found this tinkling on a couple more of my guitars, never had this issue before.

makaze said:
thanks guys for the responses. I will try the above graphite method. Yes i did change up to 10's, i have now found this tinkling on a couple more of my guitars, never had this issue before.

If the nut slot is cut for 9's then a thicker string can stick in the nut when you use the trem, or bend strings, if the graphite doesn't doo the trick then you may need to get your nut filed a bit, not a big job.

Remember that the harder the pencil, the more graphite content; I use a 5H (which has the added bonus of being able to rejoin broken electronic tracks!).

AlanN said:
Remember that the harder the pencil, the more graphite content; I use a 5H (which has the added bonus of being able to rejoin broken electronic tracks!).

That's not correct. The higher the number, the more clay is mixed with the graphite. If it's graphite you want, use a 2H, or even a 1H if you can find one at a stationery shop.

Aye, sorry. Bloody hellfire, I truly meant to put SOFTER/B there. I blame the long nights doing back-breaking DIY :( I can remember thinking about which way round it was and telling myself not to put harder, but it seems it only left that answer in my mind. The power of negative suggestion!

I wouldn't mind, but I have a degree in both Chemistry and Engineering. Sob.

Back