Advice on my new Tokai Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddler100

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I expressed an interest in learning to play the guitar to my wife and low and behold on my birthday i was presented with a new Tokai Love Rock guitar.

I was having a look on the web to find out what people thought about the model i have and i am bit confused, so i was wondering if anyone answer a few questions i have.
The guiatr itself is a Tokai love rock, cherry sunblast and was made in china, a few of the questions i have are below

1) How do i know the model number?

2) What do people generally think about china made tokai's? And what would you expect to pay for one of these (just checking to ensure my wife wasnt ripped off?)

3) I heard that all tokai love rocks have a 7 digit serial number on the back, however the one i have only has a six digit serial number, is this something i should be worried about?

Regards,
Stephen

Hi Folks,

Just found out the model number it is an ALS50Q. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stephen

Riddler100 said:
Hi Folks,

Just found out the model number it is an ALS50Q. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stephen

MIC is the budget arm of Tokai. Nothing like the quality of the Japan ones.

Retail around ?249 - ?299

Welcome to the forum Stephen.

Sorry can't help with the Serial number, bot a Chinese LS50 would probably be around the ?300 mark in the UK, certainly not a bad guitar but obviosly not quite up to the standards of the more expensive Japanese ones.

Don't be too concerned that your Love Rock isn't considered to be the same quality as the Japanese models. The latter are very high quality indeed and your LS50 should be more than good enough to keep you entertained during your first few years of learning the instrument.

Beginners/Far East manufactured guitars these days are a million miles away in quality and playability from the junk some of us started on - myself included. My first guitar was a 'Satellite' Les Paul alike 'Black Beauty' with a plywood body, microphonic single coil pickups masquerading as humbuckers and strings high enough to slice eggs. Very nearly put me off guitars and Les Pauls in particular for life.

Enjoy your Love Rock and be very grateful to have such a considerate and generous wife :wink:

My first electric was a black Avon Les Paul copy. The curved top was made out of ply steamed into a curved shape (unlike the solid wood on even the cheapest Tokais) with an empty space underneath! The action was awful, & nearly put me off playing guitar.

Then, after a couple of years, I bought a new Tokai Goldstar Strat, & I never looked back. :D

Some of the best bargains I have got from eBay have been from men whose wives have insisted that they sell one or more of their guitars, so I hope you appreciate your wife's generosity. 8)

Enjoy - you can promise yourself that when you reach a certain level of skill (or maybe when you start playing with a band?), you will save up and buy a Japanese Tokai. Until then, your new Tokai will be more than good enough. And certainly much better than most of us learned on.

Mike

Buy your wife some flowers, a thank you card and take her out for dinner

Well worth it as she won't be seeing much of you from now on (practise, practise practise)

Jokes aside the MIC guitars these days are fine, see above notes, and as a beginner well worth it
Have the guitar checked by a well respected luthier in case there are some fret issues etc , setup and it will last you for years playing perfectly fine

Cheers and welcome
Send some pics please!

Latest posts

Back