strap locks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinbluesfan

Reaction score
Does anyone put strap locks on a new tokai? Just wondering how many think it is an extra precaution.

...............of all of the hours upon hours of live music that I have been privledged to have enjoyed, I have seen only one example of a player 'lose' their instrument during a live performance

I can count on one hand the extreme few occasions that I have seen a player using strap locks, of any kind, make, or brand

IMO, they are not needed but they're great for all of those accessory sellers that need to make a profit.................

Straploks made the strap buttons work loose on two of my guitars after a few years. There's a much cheaper solution that doesn't cause this problem - keep the standard strap buttons and put a Grolsch washer over the button to hold the strap in place. Holds the guitar as secruely as any over-priced straplok devices.

8)

Mike

"put a Grolsch washer over the button to hold the strap in place."

One of those worked off and proved (for my use) that the strap locks give me a peace of mind. ymmv as they say. :D

I also use Schallers on all my guitars. It may be unnecessary in some people's opinion, but the way I see it, $20 is a small price to pay for insurance against a $1000 guitar crashing to the floor. Probably will never happen, but now I know it won't.

Jason

Planet Waves makes a strap with strap locks built right in to it...works for me 8)

Dropped my Love Rock while practising the other day, a little chip off the bottom of the headstock was all, I guess the reliccing process has begun. Will be putting on straplocks this afternoon.

f5joe said:
One of those worked off

I don't know how you managed that! Grolsch washers are every bit as secure as any straploks I've used. And at least I know that the straploks are not damaging my guitars by causing the strap buttons to work loose - that was the main reason I toook them off, & I'm glad I did.

I had my guitar fall out of its strap once on stage. Managed to catch it, but now have straplocks on every guitar. Not worth the risk.

I would think if you put some loctite or wood glue on the threads prior to installing the screws, this should prevent loosening of the screws!

It was the action of the straplok against the button that caused the button to work loose in both my Strat and Tele - the design of straplok causes the button to be tugged each time the guitar is handled. This doesn't happen without straploks - they are an unnecessary and expensive complication.

I've seen straps come off in front of thousands of people in stadiums before now, and plenty of people have told me about that one little incident they had that caused them to buy straplocks for every guitar they own. You can't afford NOT to have them.

The Grolsch solution is good (and you get to drink two bottles of quality lager while you're at it) but it does mean you can't remove the strap without great difficulty. Schallers have the advantage there, you can click the strap on and off very easily. It always reminds me of the marines in Aliens checking their armour - Ultimate badass!

The buttons can work loose, and I've heard that story plenty of times too. It's due to the fact that the screws are different to the ones already in the guitar, nothing to do with the design of the lock. The solution, as has been pointed out, is to smother a matchstick in wood glue then stick it down the side of the hole and screw the button back in. I've done that on two guitars now and the one I still have has been rock solid for five years - and I've checked that with a screwdriver.

stratman323 said:
It was the action of the straplok against the button that caused the button to work loose in both my Strat and Tele - the design of straplok causes the button to be tugged each time the guitar is handled. This doesn't happen without straploks - they are an unnecessary and expensive complication.

Straploks move the strap away from the body thus creating a pivot point for the screw to work loose...I never use them. I do use the round black plastice Dunlop strap locks the slip on over your original strap button and work with a cam action...they're cheap and I believe much better.

good old leather straps and slightly larger pins did the trick in 1978. They still do.

I'm gonna have to go with stratman on this one. I usually pick up some rubber washers from the hardware store and they work like a charm. You have to change them out every once in a while if you gig often, as they would likely dry out and crack over time (months, years?). I love 'em. They're not all clicky and noisy like straplocks, easy as pie to get off and on.

Paladin2019 said:
The Grolsch solution is good (and you get to drink two bottles of quality lager while you're at it) but it does mean you can't remove the strap without great difficulty

There's no difficulty at all - you remove the washer, then remove the strap. Couldn't be easier. 8)

It seems that some people are not happy unless they spend money to solve a problem that can be solved for free. :lol:

Just like to add more benefit of the Grolsch solution. When you take your original buttons off to fit strap-locks you (I) always lose them! Not so with Grolsch washers! They get my vote!

1 They are Free ( you would buy beer anyway)
2 You get an excuse to buy more beer
3 You dont lose original strap buttons

stratman323 said:
It seems that some people are not happy unless they spend money to solve a problem that can be solved for free. :lol:

Not at all. I simply believe that straplocks are the best solution to the problem at hand, and that the common issues people have with them are easily solved.

They are also by far the quickest and easiest way to detatch and reattach your strap.

I do, however, own a fender lite ash tele with extra large strap buttons and I have felt no need to replace them with straplocks because they are almost as secure. How's that for solving a problem for free? :wink:

Latest posts

Back