Tokai Les Paul Custom MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenshin1988

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Quick question. Im looking for a Les Paul custom guitar to do Randy Roads and other heavy metal stuff on. I saw this Tokai Les Paul custom was for sale at a guitar center not too terribly far away from me.

From the crappy pics that GC uploaded I cant see much but it does appear to have two screws in the truss rod cover and the logo is the 4 diamond logo. Does this indicate that it was made in Japan in the 80s?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Tokai/LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks

Funky Headstock shape on that one.

I've seen some of those models be a 4 screw bolt on neck at the back. I notice there is no pic of the back.

If its local go and take a few shots of the back of the headstock. If there is no serial... it's a fake. If its any distance away i'd save the gasoline and call and ask.

Cheers

The poor quality images don't help, but you can just make out the wide, slotted bridge posts. Whatever it is, it ain't MIJ.

EDIT: Truss rod cover overlaps the logo too. That's wrong, so it's probably been changed.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. It seems that this may be a Korean or Chinese model and in which case it seems GC is definitely overpricing it. I will try and get the serial without driving out. I saw another Custom, which was a Burny and it is priced about the same on Craig's list. The owner says it's a 1978.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/d/brea-1978-burny-les-paul-custom-gibson/7052433521.html

Were these guitars made in the same factory with the same build quality as Tokais?

Thanks again

I'd go for the Burny all day long over whatever the hell that tokai might be.

Burny's were made by Terada, Kasuga and Tokai around '78. I doubt its Honduran Hog though. Unless it was swapped out i doubt the nut is ivory. I've never had a Burny so i can't tell you if its from '78 or not... They kept the split diamond for awhile. Looks to have a rosewood fretboard like they mostly did tho. It looks to be in good shape. Get a pic of the control cavity or the pup routing and post it here and we can tell you what factory its from.

Honestly there is one in our Classifieds right now for $850 with a carved Front and Back. It is a Greco, but that's a great deal for a very nice guitar. Seller is 100% cool.

brokentoes said:
Honestly there is one in our Classifieds right now for $850 with a carved Front and Back. It is a Greco, but that's a great deal for a very nice guitar. Seller is 100% cool.

Wow, that is a really nice guitar and basically what I've been looking for. I dont know much about Greco, are they basically made in the same place as Tokai and Berny? Maple top and Mahogony body is great.

That one is made by Fujigen. Very high quality. I'd hit that one over the other two myself.

What is the major difference between this and Tokai and Burny? Is there a pecking order of quality? Was one brand marketed to a higher or lower market?

I have many MIJ Tokai's and i have many MIJ Greco's. Burny's were always made by someone else, sometimes Tokai. Tokai and Fujigen made guitars themselves, they were the factories. Fujigen made for many names and Fender Japan, later so did Tokai. They each had higher or lower lines of guitars. They were both very good at their craft. If you wanted an all Hog Custom i'd say get that Burny if that is what it says it is. If you'd be ok with maple cap i'd hit that One Greco for $850 all day long since its in your range, even a bit cheaper. Guitar would come ready to play. Nice case too. Done deal. My opinion only but i have purchased a few from this seller and was very well pleased, so it is an informed opinion. It is an interesting take on a Custom and is in very nice shape to my eye. I'm sure if you have any questions he could easily answer any of them for you. Most has been spelled out in the ad.

Cheers

brokentoes said:
That one is made by Fujigen. Very high quality. I'd hit that one over the other two myself.
So how do you reckon that Fujigen Gaki built a guitar for Tokai?
I have many Tokai and many Fujigen guitars (Aria...Greco etc)
Feel free to point out how Fujigen EVER built guitars for Tokai.
Tokai built for other builders but Fujigen or Matsumoku NEVER built for Tokai to the best of my knowledge

Kenshin1988 said:
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. It seems that this may be a Korean or Chinese model and in which case it seems GC is definitely overpricing it. I will try and get the serial without driving out. I saw another Custom, which was a Burny and it is priced about the same on Craig's list. The owner says it's a 1978.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/d/brea-1978-burny-les-paul-custom-gibson/7052433521.html

Were these guitars made in the same factory with the same build quality as Tokais?

Thanks again
I can tell you that whoever told you that this was a 1978 Tokai needs a swift kick to the goolies.
The headstock "nipple" only came in for Tokai sold outside of the Japanese domestic market in roughly 2000 I believe?
Doubting that it's Tokai as the appointments don't match the headstock....hope you passed on this/

Ozeguitarguy said:
Kenshin1988 said:

Thanks again
I can tell you that whoever told you that this was a 1978 Tokai needs a swift kick to the goolies.
The headstock "nipple" only came in for Tokai sold outside of the Japanese domestic market in roughly 2000 I believe?
Doubting that it's Tokai as the appointments don't match the headstock....hope you passed on this/

This particular guitar from the craigslist ad was not ever advertised to be a Tokai. It's advertised to be a 1978 Burny. Nah I didn't buy it.

Ozeguitarguy said:
brokentoes said:
Tokai built for other builders but Fujigen or Matsumoku NEVER built for Tokai to the best of my knowledge

I was talking about a Greco Custom in the classifieds here. Not the original Tokai, or the Burny mentioned later.

brokentoes said:
Ozeguitarguy said:
brokentoes said:

I was talking about a Greco Custom in the classifieds here. Not the original Tokai, or the Burny mentioned later.
No worries....I totally misunderstood...I do that :oops:

All good. It can get confusing when we start talking about multiple guitars.

That $850 Greco Custom was a beauty but i guess it sold. I didn't expect it to last.

Latest posts

Back