Tokai SG 60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is wild. I have not seen one like that with the all over paint job in that period. Cool guitar.

s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-12.jpg
s-l1600-13.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-8.jpg
    s-l1600-8.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-10.jpg
    s-l1600-10.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-11.jpg
    s-l1600-11.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-14.jpg
    s-l1600-14.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 0
It is unusual, but with that oval sticker being in place it is probably a factory paint job.

Would be great to see a better pic showing the serial number.

It also has fret edge binding which I have seen on some LC60 examples from that period like a John Sykes.

I don't think it would be a lacquer finish though. But worth testing if that is important to you.

It is unusual, but with that oval sticker being in place it is probably a factory paint job.

It also has fret edge binding which I have seen on some LC60 examples from that period like a John Sykes.

I don't think it would be a lacquer finish though. But worth testing if that is important to you.
the type of finish doesn’t matter to me other than to know not to lean the guitar on foam hangers or not! I’m quite tempted by this SG.

I will enquire about the serial number, ask for another photo

Says it’s hard to get a clear photograph but serial number is

Is it weird that there’s nothing written in the pickup cavities or on the back of the pickups? I’ve only had an 80s springy which had codes in the routes, that’s all I’m basing my suspicion on haha

IMG_1004.png

Yeah. The Gibson type Tokais often don’t have stamps. Probably because they are set necks. The codes are largely to keep lots of necks and bodies together I believe.

The squarish pickup tab says it’s a Tokai.

Those pickups are probably some version of an MKII. Seems legit to me.

And looks like Snow White (SW) color.

I have seen these yellow from exposure before.

Whilst I was very seriously considering buying that SG a through neck kay (DC50 I think) popped up for sale for very little money and I had to grab it.

My mate has an identical one and I really love his, the one I’ve bought needs some work but I’m excited to receive it although a bit sad to be missing out on that SG.

It’s not a tokai, or Japanese but thought it might interest some. The terrible photos are not my fault… pulled from the listing

IMG_1007.pngIMG_1008.pngIMG_1009.png

Another old eBay listing saying they were made by Cort in Korea.

1980s Kay neck-thru Electric Guitar made in Korea - cool guitar like MIJ | #1533840484

Here is a Kay neck-thru guitar with 2 'powersound' humbuckers (which I believe were made by Ibanez). There is very little info to be found on the Internet about these guitars. What I do know is that this was made for Kay in the 'Cort' guitar factory in Korea (which is still making good quality guitars today) around about 1980 and was a response to the demand for good quality high output guitars burgeoning hard rock & metal music scenes. The guitar has some brass appointments (nut, saddles, even fret markers) a string through body, and one piece neck and body - all of which giving it great sustain & upping it's rock credentials. As well as a toggle pickup selector, it also has a toggle switch for selecting in & out of phase settings when using both pickups giving the guitar more flexibility. The pickups themselves have great power and sustain, & are clearly designed for hard rock & metal - they handle distortion well. There is some dings and scratches indicated in the pictures, but the guitar is nearly 35 years old. The body appears to be made from multiple pieces of different wood - whether this enhances the tone or not I don't really know, but it certainly looks cool. The guitar plays well, and has no functional issues, although I feel someone with the time could look at making the action a bit faster. It would then be a metal monster!
Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 2.24.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 2.24.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 2.24.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 2.24.34 PM.png

Hope someone snags that TSG. That is a sweet and rare one.
Yeah my new Kay is Korean, my mate has an identical one and it’s really nice to play. I’m going to modify mine a bit but the neck on his is an amazing V. Hopefully mine is the same.

I’ve actually been watching that TSG for a couple of months, I’m not expecting it to go anytime soon unless I’ve alerted someone to it’s existence on here haha.

Maybe when I’ve finished the Kay and have a few more quid saved up I will try grab the SG as well.

Back