Super edition active pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gt67

Reaction score
Hey thanks for welcoming me to the group new to tokai guitars I just purchased a super edition I believe it's an 85-86 and it comes with the active pickups this one has three single coils I was wondering if there was any way that I could drop a humbucker in say an EMG and use that wiring and keep the two single coils. Or if tokai had an active humbucker that I could find used possibly.It's a great guitar. And I love the the neck and middle tone and would really like to keep if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the body routed for a humbucker?

I saw this after your post.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185684366754

FvLc6n7.jpg

They put L White pickups in a lot of these. Sort of hot I believe. Different configurations. Some HSS.

In 1986 there were two Super Editions with SSS configurations.

SD401 & SD501.

mfJtdGv.jpg

1986 catalog

The 1986 SD501 had active pickups called "SDS Drive".

Guessing that is your guitar?

Not much information on them.

msmartin said:
It has 3 covered single coil pick ups with factory fitted active circuit and 9 volt Battery (all under scratch plate) pickups are ceramic with bar magnet. Trem is Traditional strat type but has two screws into body rather than six. 12 inch radius 22 medium jumbo frets.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23929

Here's one

Tokai SD-501 Super Edition 1986 Black Made in Japan | Reverb

Tokai Super Edition SD-501 Superstrat Black 1986 Active PUs Made in Japan $675

A pretty rare guitar from Tokai Japan built in 1986 featuring active circuitry and all the other qualities that come with Japanese built Tokai guitars. Really nice rosewood fretboard in very good condition with no real apparent fretware. Alder body, Gotoh tuners and Tokai's SDS Drive pickups with the active circuitry. All black with red inner layer on the pickguard it's a good looker. Plays faultlessly and everything is in perfect working order. Has a few minor marks and is missing the back tremolo cover and arm. Overall guitar is in very good condition.The guitar has been well setup and ready to go.

SPECS
BODY: Alder 3.5kg
NECK: Maple 648mm Scale
FRETBOARD: Rosewood 22 Fret
PICKUPS: SDS Drive x3
BRIDGE: Tokai Original (Black)
TUNERS: Gotoh - Black

UuRTmDw.jpg

DeI3kf2.jpg

0llfGR0.jpg

KgOCQbY.jpg

QJdLuRL.jpg

LM7BGLV.jpg

pvlFBiy.jpg

NvC0r30.jpg

Last edited:
And if you switch to a humbucker in the bridge:

Peter Mac said:
...The pole peice gap is a common problem when a "Gibson" humbucker is placed in a "Fender" guitar because of the 2 different string spacings these Companies used. The most common remedy involved placing the H/B at an angle so the string would pass through the middle of the 2 pole peices ( 1 is adjustable, the other is not) and get the full attack.

The introduction of "Strat spaced" humbuckers allowed for this variance but the bridge H/B on your guitar has is obviously not. I would recommend trying to fit an active electronics H/B size pickup to keep the original look and sound of the guitar intact. EMG, Duncan, Fender - all have replacement AE pickups or try to find if Lawrence White Pickups still manufacture - even Bill Laurence P/U are a great sub. Good Luck....

regards
Peter

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1555

Sigmania said:
Custom Edition with SDS Drive single coil active pickups.

HHH body?

TokaiStrat_4.jpg

TokaiStrat_7.jpg

100_0014.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17793

That's it right there I never thought to take off pickguard yet I just assumed it had a swimming pool route. But I like the idea of the stacked emg. Will it be as simple as just unhooking the original and hooking up the emg with no further alterations? Thanks for the reply as well.

Looks like the EMGs, and probably any of the stacked active pickups, come with volume & tone pots to control the circuit.

Not sure how you wire that with the other pickups though, and tone & volume control?

Maybe contact EMG and send a photo of your wiring circuit?

The one I linked is not wired correctly. One pot is disconnected. And the pickups only have 2 wires each.

TokaiStrat_4.jpg

BTW, why are you changing the bridge pickup?

I'm on the fence really it just doesn't have enough excuse my words but balls really sounds great as a single coil and I do have other guitars with humbuckers in the bridge that I use but this just play so good that I'd like to have it as my number one but I may just keep it as a backup and use it for something different. U have been a great help my friend.

You're welcome, and keep us posted. This guitar was made in a period where there just isn't a lot of info. Anything you dig up will add to the knowledge base and probably help the next guy down the line.

Sorry for the delay. I decided I'm not changing anything on this but the strings when needed. It just sounds so killer and it's just so well made that it deserves to stay original. I couldn't bring myself to even just change that bridge pickup. I'll b going to the grave with this 1 and this tokai won't b my last. Just a killer guitar. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• i-img1200x900-1683472919a9rne2663036.jpg
    i-img1200x900-1683472919a9rne2663036.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • i-img1200x900-1683472926ukrkir672288.jpg
    i-img1200x900-1683472926ukrkir672288.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • i-img1200x900-1683472927ee1c691130744.jpg
    i-img1200x900-1683472927ee1c691130744.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • i-img1200x900-1683472929adwl2e270289.jpg
    i-img1200x900-1683472929adwl2e270289.jpg