Pickup Identification needed - possible late 70's, early 80's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a LS60 not too long ago and the case had these pickups in it.
Seller said both are original, but I think only one is original. I have provided pictures.
The first picture is of one pickup and the back says LH250
The second picture I have provided a few close ups of the back since it's tarnished and hard to read.
I like to know what they are, what model they came from and anything of interest.
Thank you.

Attachments

• LS60_1.JPG
    LS60_1.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 1
  • LS60_2.JPG
    LS60_2.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 1
  • LS60_3.JPG
    LS60_3.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 1
That D marked double cream pickup came with your LS60. Must be from 1980/81?

They were called “LS Hot” in the 1981 catalog.

Made by GOTO/GOTOH.

Not sure about the other one.

Last edited:
If your serial number starts with 00 it’s a 1980. If it starts with 10 it’s an ‘81.

Cool. With those pickups it follows the ‘81 specs. Possibly made in late 1980.

This is from the 1981 Arch Top Catalog

LS60 BS ¥72,000 GUITAR ¥60,000 SPECIAL HARD CASE ¥12,000 Middle class Guitar King LS60 boasting high cost performance. The maple 2-piece top, mahogany neck, and complete solid body are high-grade specifications that cannot be imitated by others. Designed from the guitarist's point of view, the total playability and sense of balance meet the needs of high-class players. The newly developed open type LS Hot pickup produces a powerful and sensible sound.

E55E92AE-1A8D-4DA5-8411-984F8EEA18A4.jpeg

Let me know if you ever test the resistance on those double creams. I don’t have any readings on them and am curious.

I’m not even sure if there were differences in bridge and neck. Both look the same on the outside.

Mine is a Goldtop and on the back it's has a black oval sticker that says 60 and serial # is 001xxxx
Tuners are double ring with single line that says Tokai.
The tailpiece is aluminum and boy it is light.
The tunamatic ....well here is a picture.

Attachments

• LS60_4.JPG
    LS60_4.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 1
It also came with this gigbag like shown on the Faber website.
Japan 80ies Vintage Gig Bag Les Paul, 48,50 €
Original pots and knobs but not in the guitar. I got all the parts in a separate bag.
Right now, it has custom pickups from Brandenwounds that sounds really good with CTS pots I think and original 1952 PIO caps.
I will take pictures and post them in the next few days.

Back