Made in Japan or not

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14468

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could possibly advise me if my guitar was made in Japan or not the serial number is 090233 no letters

Pretty sure these are Chinese and not Korean.

I’ve collected posts on a bunch of them.

Made in 2009. Inexpensive guitar. May be a decent player but shouldn’t cost very much to buy.

This may help give you some perspective on the Chinese builds.

Tokais Made In China

Tokai has had low spec guitars built in China beginning in 2005 up to the present.

Before that it was Korea, 1995-2005.

Any idea country of manufacture
Three screw truss cover indicates a Chinese guitar, my Es73 is Chinese made.
Don’t write it off though, I think they are really good instruments, the bridge and tuner’s are not great but easy to upgrade without overcapitalising on value

Three screw truss cover indicates a Chinese guitar, my Es73 is Chinese made.
Don’t write it off though, I think they are really good instruments, the bridge and tuner’s are not great but easy to upgrade without overcapitalising on value
That’s not necessarily true. Korean Gibson clones made between 2000 and 2005 also have 3 screw truss rod covers.

Love Rocks Made In Korea 2000-2005

I’ve studied these extensively. I’m 99% sure that it’s Chinese and made in 2009. But there is always a bit of doubt with this year. It was transitional between factories in China and there is some uncertainty. I’ve seen 2009 serials with 6 , 7 and 8 digits written as 09 and 90 as I recall.

Tokais Made In China

But none of that really matters. It’s a low cost low spec guitar. Not MIJ. Entry level guitar. Don’t pay more than a few hundred dollars for it. That’s my advice.

Last edited:
That’s not necessarily true. Korean Gibson clones made between 2000 and 2005 also have 3 screw truss rod covers.

Love Rocks Made In Korea 2000-2005

I’ve studied these extensively. I’m 99% sure that it’s Chinese and made in 2009. But there is always a bit of doubt with this year. It was transitional between factories in China and there is some uncertainty. I’ve seen 2009 serials with 6 , 7 and 8 digits written as 09 and 90 as I recall.

Tokais Made In China

But none of that really matters. It’s a low cost low spec guitar. Not MIJ. Entry level guitar. Don’t pay more than a few hundred dollars for it. That’s my advice.
Very true, my assumption was also based on the 09 in the number.
But again don’t write it off, for entry level they are great feeling instruments, the neck profiles are amazing for any player, the quality is pretty darn good too. You won’t find figuring or super exotic material but I can’t complain about the finish

Back