Is my guitar genuine tokai or a fake ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaifreak

Reaction score
I own a NALS 60 Korean made tokai custom love rock. The quality is good. The body is mahogany, the top is maple veneer, and the neck is canadian maple. As far as I know these were made specifically for the Canadian market. The Korean made models for the European market use different woods, ie sycamore or agathis for the bodies. According to
Godlyke Distributing on the annoucements forum, there are many fake tokais comming out of China and Korea. The question is, is my tokai a fake? I purchased the guitar from a reputable online dealer, JSD guitar shack. Jsd's is discontinuing tokais, as I have heard rumours that gibson may be putting pressure on them to stop selling these guitars.

Hi Tokaifreak,
There seems to be a story here. Check out my thread on this:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7304

Does your guitar have a serial number? Mine doesn't :( . It doesn't really matter since the guitar is excellent. Just what I need for the blues. There seem to be a number of Tokai players on the Canadian prairies. Playin' a Tokai in S'toon

My guitar does have a six digit serial number on the top of the headstock, on the back. Also, at the back of the headstock at the bottom, there is a "made in Korea" sticker.

Me too got a tokai axe three month ago, a 355 lucille copy and me too got no serial to be found anywhere on the axe but I have also heard that some model where inkstamp maybe it got faded with time.My axe is of to much intricate construction for being a fake, Maybe it a custom shop job, Me too would like to find out precisions about my axe for in all the models they have in catalogue none resemble mine they are all like the 335 none like the 355 lucille help please!!!!!
normand

Hi Rockclimber
It appears that our guitars may be NES-80's. The review mentions the Grover tuners and the Bigsby trem. What do you think?

Check out the review at the following.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-nes80-review.html

The NES80 has the grover key but is a copy of a 335 double cut away mine is more like the FA80 but 100 times more finish and with the same hardware, if you want to see it it is on ebay now go have a look and please advise as far has I could find it is a 1979 cause they did the same approx model from 74 to 79 and black was introduce in 78, but yet not been able to put a model or real year on it, but with the finish on this puppy it,s jap no doubt high end. check it out and let me know.

Blues and Fusion rules....

Normand

Latest posts

Back