Identify this Bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWilliams1605

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got this Tokay jazz bass which I'm trying to identify in order to get an idea of value. Was bough back in Dec 2017 as an ex-demo from a shop here in the UK. Sticker on the back says made in China. Just trying to work out what model this is, having done some research there seems to be quite a few possibilities.
Any help is appreciated.

Pics are not showing on here. Just upload the actual image files rather than a link.

Sorry mate, thought that's what I'd done. They should be attached here

Attachments

• tempImage3rIvJF.png
    tempImage3rIvJF.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagel0umK3.png
    tempImagel0umK3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageX0RI7v.png
    tempImageX0RI7v.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagerVqWMx.png
    tempImagerVqWMx.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageI9swgC.png
    tempImageI9swgC.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Everything i've said about them is from conversations between me and the board of directors/owners. The CFO and the new owner (Yuta) sat down with me when i was there a few weeks ago and it came up.

They were a decision between Jade Music (the former distributor here in Aus) and a third party Chinese factory. The Legacy guitars were never checked by Tokai Japan or authorised, they were done completely under the table by Jade Music.

Tokai has used a Chinese factory for a while, but it's not the same one that the Legacy models came from.

So you think this could be a Legacy? It only seems to have Tokai logos, but the serial number does look similar to one of those in the thread

Legacy is a product line. Probably unauthorized.

The one you have looks like a TJB. It does look like a similar serial number from the same period and probably same factory.

Legit Chinese Tokais from this period should have a CN16 serial number.

CN Serial Number AST Goldstars

And...

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_175521.jpg
    IMG_20180619_175521.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180619_175543.jpg
    IMG_20180619_175543.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180619_175605.jpg
    IMG_20180619_175605.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You’re welcome.

Chinese manufacturing is a lot like the Wild West at times. Lots of things happen that are hard to control.

And Tokai hasn’t said much about production there so it’s hard to sort out.

Yeah I can see…
Any idea what it would be worth considering? I can’t see many available on reverb

Back