Hey all LS-65 Owners- Got any tips???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear925

Reaction score
To the LS-65 Owners: I'm new to Tokai- been playing Gibson Les Pauls for many years, last few the 58-59 Historics; but I was getting bored of them. Wanted some new excitement, then I stumbled across this web site about 2 weeks ago, caught the fever for a Love Rock- and bought one yesterday on ebay, a sweet looking 8 pound 1992 LS-65 lemon burst. Owner says it has a small- 60's profile neck cut. Do any of you who play this model have any set up or tone secrets or ideas you could share? Anything to watch out for? And what kind of sound can I expect out a 65? I think this Registry is a great idea, giving people a place to exchange ideas, and I think it builds enthusiasm for well built guitars. By reading and exchanging a few emails,it helped me make the jump to Tokai. Please feel free to shoot some ideas up for all to enjoy!! Thanks- Bear/ Atlanta, Ga.

bear925 said:
Owner says it has a small- 60's profile neck cut.
Hmm, that might be wrong, because I would rather expect a '58 profile on the lower MIJ models. At least my 1984 LS60 has one while the 1981 LS120 is on the thinner '59 side according to the catalogs. To my knowledge Tokai never made an exact '60 neck shape, at least they didn't mention it officially.

Do any of you who play this model have any set up or tone secrets or ideas you could share?
You might try out a lightweight aluminum tailpiece (do a forum search with these terms) and join the usual pickup hunt to match the acoustic and electric sound of your guitar.

:eek: We have talked about this many times and still never seen a 60's slim taper profile. 8) I think you will find as H-J said a more 58' type neck! Welcome to the club! :lol: TG

I've got a '99 LS-70 & an '80/81 LS-60, and both have the same neck profile, which is kind of a halfway house between a chunky '59 and the slim taper '60 necks. It may be a compromise type neck, but it's simply great to play.

Both of my Love Rock's have had the pickups changed, but that's a pretty standard mod even on high end Gibson's. It's all about personal preference, and what sort of sound you're after.

Latest posts

Back